Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help - Getting M20B25 swapped 318i BAR ready

Hi guys,

So I am in the process of trying to make my M20B25 swapped early 318i BAR'd. Currently, it is running on Bosch 380 and naturally, it doesn't have a Check engine light.

1.) Would swapping a 173 DME allow me to be able to read codes via the C101 connector and not just through the stomp test? In case it is required for smog.

2.) How do I go about adding a check engine light? from research, it's installing a light and wiring the hot to a switched 12v which I can figure out, and grounding it to the DME. My question is, can I simply tap into the correct wire the goes/connects to the DME? If so, which wire? is it the gray wire?

Thanks in advance

IIRC you can swap over a cluster from a 325i and you should be good to go.
    Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

Originally posted by MrBurgundy View Post
      IIRC you can swap over a cluster from a 325i and you should be good to go.
      Hi, thanks for the response. The cluster is from a 325i but there is no wiring for the CEL. Would anybody know how to go about wiring a CEL? Thanks.

Comment

I would start here:

t
        now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Thanks for the response everyone.

Ian was able to help me out. wiring is straight up, just needed to know what color wire goes into the slot in the DME. since it was a swapped car, colors don't match. after figuring it out, was able to wire a light by grounding it to the corresponding wire and a switched hot and it worked.

Comment

always wondered the same but how to add it to my 86 eta with a i motor. i thought some i cars didnt have check engine lights like the 87 325is.

Comment

Mine is 320i euro and doesn't have the read codes via gas pedal thing you guys in the us have i have 173 DME can i just put the light pulg and it will work????

Comment

Originally posted by ADEN View Post
                Mine is 320i euro and doesn't have the read codes via gas pedal thing you guys in the us have i have 173 DME can i just put the light pulg and it will work????
                negative. you and i (m20b20 and m20b23) have an entirely different fuel injection system. you need a lot more than just the DME.
                past:
                1989 325is (learner shitbox)
                1986 325e (turbo dorito)
                1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
                1985 323i baur
                current:
                1995 M3 (suspension, 17x9/255-40, borla)

Comment

Working...
                X