5 Speed Swap DMV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

5 Speed Swap DMV

Fellow r3Vers, I picked up an '89 325i auto this fall and I love it...but the auto transmission has got to go! I'm looking for a referral for a shop that has done E30 5 speed swaps before and does them well. I'm in the Washington, DC area, but I'll travel a couple hours away for the right shop. I thought about posting this in the mid-atlantic forum, but it's pretty quiet over there.

I'm sure there are nearby shops that can do it but it may be worth a call to Bimmerbuddies in PA just passed Harrisburg. Good people that might even have a swap on hand.

Instagram: Reichart12

Comment

Thanks, I'll check 'em out!

Open to other suggestions if anyone else has any recommendations.

Comment

Try looking at "EuroWerks". They are in Falls Church off rt. 29. I used to take my mom's VW there for regular service and they do good work. I would always see E30s and other German classics parked in their lot. They do good work, may be worth checking out.
        My rigs:
        1984 Jeep Cj7 (my baby)
        Lifted 2006 Subaru Baja (the daily)
        1987 BMW 325e Off-road Build (the new hotness)

Comment

:up: CJ7, I appreciate it!

Comment

I've also seen some recommendations from many years ago for Zimmerman Automotive in Gaithersburg, MD and Alexandria Bavarian in VA. Both are still around. If anyone's had them do a transmission swap, please let me know how that went.

Comment

Blue Ridge Sports Cars in Baltimore hooked me up when I bought my Touring. They fit me in for semi-major maintenance so I could drive the car back to Charlotte. They know Bimmers, the price was reasonable and the owner personally stayed late to get me on the road after finding some unexpected problems with the car.
              1992 325i Cabrio
              1988 320i Touring
              2000 M5
              1977 530i
              2015 328i - Euro Delivery/Performance Center Delivery
              BMWCCA
              E30CCA

Comment

I've used BRSC as well with good results. Total "dive" shop, I love it. Had a couple of E30s, a 2002, E36s, couple of Jags, and a boring X3 (mine) in there when I was there. Reminds me of Touring Cars back in CLT, really miss beer nights out there, but it sounds like Dan isn't doing so well (off topic).
                BEERTECH

Comment

I had my swap done by Zimmerman. They did a good job and i had no problems. I’m sure he’s done many of them. I brought all my own parts, and he did the whole swap including the diff.

Comment

Closing the loop on this - RRT in Dulles, VA sourced the parts and did the swap for me. I couldn't be happier, they did a great job and it’s a whole new car with a manual transmission!
                    Last edited by dhlerner; 12-27-2019, 07:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dhlerner View Post
                      Closing the loop on this - RRT in Dulles, VA sourced the parts and did the swap for me. I couldn’t be happier, they did a great job and it’s a whole new car with a manual transmission! Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                      Any chance you could post or PM me how much that work ran you at RRT? I'd love to have my auto swapped with a 5sp.
                      Current: 2011 M3
                      Retired: 1986 325e, 1991 318i, 1991 325ic, 1992 325ic, 1998 528i, 2002 325xiT, 2003 530i, 2005 325xiT, 2008 335i

Comment

Originally posted by md-va View Post

Any chance you could post or PM me how much that work ran you at RRT? I'd love to have my auto swapped with a 5sp.
                        PM sent!

Comment

Why not just post the hours they billed so everyone can have a better idea of what a shop might charge? It's not exactly sensitive info when you could just call the shop and ask.

Comment

Working...
                          X