Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by litu View Post
    That oil temp thing is very good idea, also i was send PM for you
    Thanks I like it a lot, gives some more info than just the coolant temp. I'll have a look at your pm

Originally posted by econti View Post
    How rare are iX tourings? Very?
    They never got delivered to the US so that's one reason why there were only around 5000 made. :)
    1990 325iX Touring - November 2018 R3V Car Of The Month

1980 Volkswagen Golf mk1 1.1
    1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

Smallish update.

Hit a new milestone a few weeks back, 253000km and still going strong.

My uncle, brother and I are planning a roadtrip to/in the Alps. I was already planning on refurbishing the rear end a while ago but this made it an even bigger priority. I already started ordering parts. While ordering, I decided to also order parts to redo the whole front & rear suspension, clutch, transfer case. Rear diff will get send out to a specializedcompany.

A couple of pictures of some parts that arrived;

OCAP tie rod assemblies

Almost everthing for the rear suspension (bushings, CV boots bearings...) and brakes (guide pins, pistons & seals, hoses...)

I also ordered a new middle console panel but unfortunatly it arrived broken. I might be able to epoxy it since it's in an easier place to repair than the one that's currently fitted in the Touring.

Finally also a Z3 1.9 DSSR, turns out this one is also fitted to the E46 325/330xi. After some searching on ebay I got one for 40€ shipped to Belgium. Didn't want to spend +100€ for a new one..

I also disassembled the spare rear iX Touring brake calipers I have. The brake pad carriers are in alot better shape than the ones fitted now. I'll go ahead and get them all plated anyway.

Bore itself also looks good

I also got a new (used) rear subframe, only the beam. Mine is a bit rusted on the flanges at the opening for the diff.

1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

I'm so glad we don't have rust like that in Australia.
        Those calipers have had it by the looks. I don't think there will be enough metal left to make them work properly once they are blasted
        sigpic

(clicky on piccy to get to thread)

Comment

Nice Special Blend outerwear sticker on the table - been a LONG time since I've seen one of those haha
          Steve • Toronto
          1991 318is • Brillantrot
          Build Thread

Comment

I'm so glad we don't have rust like that in Australia.
            Those calipers have had it by the looks. I don't think there will be enough metal left to make them work properly once they are blasted
            While the underside of the caliper does look pretty rusty, there's still plenty of meat left. The carriers themselves are better. I can always use my original housings and the other carriers. I'll decide one they are blasted and plated.

Originally posted by Powling View Post
            Nice Special Blend outerwear sticker on the table - been a LONG time since I've seen one of those haha
            Well... That 'table' is actually the hood of a Golf mk1 GTI we bought recently. :)

1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by Powling View Post
              LOL this is exactly what I was thinking to myself! glad someone else caught it too!

Comment

Some more parts have arrived today. I made an order for all new bearings and seals unfortunatly one bearings is back ordered so they didn't send the package yet.

I also found a guy who's selling the inner ball joints for the front LCA.

Mainly parts for the front suspension, shocks, CV boots, outer ball joints...
                Also the rear plates for the parking bake, brand Metzger autoteile. Very nice quality stamping.

New rear subframe

I also got a oil seal driver kit and blind hole bearing puller for when I refresh the T case
                Last edited by D.Martijn; 04-10-2019, 10:59 AM.

1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

Finally got started with the teardown of my suspension.
                  Still waiting on a few bits but should arrive soon, I first need to sandblast, plate/repaint the parts anyway.

In only a couple of hours, the whole rear suspension was fully dissasembled.
                  Still need to press out the wheel flanges, get the ABS sensors out and the rubber bushes.

While my brother help getting the rear brakes undone, I started removing the driveshafts and the finally the T-case itself. The previous owner made it pretty easy for me as the two top bolts were only snugged down :)

And a picture of my diff, looks like it was once used as a boat anchor..
                  The other side, where there is an oil leak looks pretty good.

Under side of the car so far. Tomorrow after work I'll start on the front suspension.

Also the bushings for the gear linkage and brass clutch pivot point arrived form Condor speed shop. Unfortunatly I had to pay some customs..

1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

It really is unbelievable how badly that's rusted
                    sigpic

(clicky on piccy to get to thread)

Comment

This is such a rad car/color combo.
                      That rust makes me so glad I live in the lovely land of strict emissions laws.
                      1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

Good work!

Comment

It really is unbelievable how badly that's rusted
                          I know right, coudln't believe it myself at first. Luckily the housing is a pretty thick chunck of metal :)

Originally posted by wworm View Post
                          This is such a rad car/color combo.
                          That rust makes me so glad I live in the lovely land of strict emissions laws.
                          Thanks man! I don't understand what rust has to do with emissions though? :)

Originally posted by jeenyus View Post
                          Good work!
                          Thanks!

1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

Finally received my order from Leebmann.
                            Some OEM bushings, spacers, flywheel bolts...

After work I started on the teardown of the front suspension. Only thing to remove it the transmission. However I'm waiting on some long extensions I've ordered

Meanwhile I'll start sandblasting parts that need to be plated and disassemble things futher.

Also got my diff packed up in a wooden crate, ready to be send out to Hardeman Motorsports, a company in the Netherlands that is well known for their diff rebuilds.

1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by D.Martijn View Post
                              Thanks man! I don't understand what rust has to do with emissions though? :)
                              hahaha I'd just rather have strict smog laws and sunshine year round rather than snow and salt eating away at everything but be able to run a catless turbo whatever

anyways...good work! You may have mentioned it earlier, but are you upgrading the diff or just rebuilding to stock spec?
                              1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

Originally posted by wworm View Post
                                hahaha I'd just rather have strict smog laws and sunshine year round rather than snow and salt eating away at everything but be able to run a catless turbo whatever

anyways...good work! You may have mentioned it earlier, but are you upgrading the diff or just rebuilding to stock spec?
                                Oh yeah, that does sound good :)

Thanks, just a rebuild. New seals, bearings.. not sure if there is a whole lot to upgrade?

1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

Working...
                                X