No announcement yet.

A Tale of 2 Sedans M42/S52

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I decided to order an AFE dry filter and some silicone tubing, planning on building a box of some kind. Hardest part was finding a filter that was in stock and looked like it would fit.

Comment

buttoning up wiring, praying i got this correct, and working to fit the harness cover. Still need to drop tank so I can replace cracked rubber fuel hoses.

just squirted some Marvel in each cylinder prepping to start it for the first time, will disconnect fuel pump as well, any other advice prior to first start appreciated. Motor was drained and been sitting for a long time.

Comment

very cool progress! great work

Comment

thats the e90 booster and stock e30 brake reservoir yeah?
          1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

Originally posted by wworm View Post
            thats the e90 booster and stock e30 brake reservoir yeah?

X3 (E83) booster, MC and res

Comment

well, i plugged in the reverse plug after the JB weld cap set on the shortened plug and threw the battery in to test it, worked... So I decided to go for a test start prior to dropping tank and replacing the cracking rubber lines.

First I reviewed my hookups, looked at my junction box and realized I had the DME line not going to the fusible link line, so made that connection:

Turned the key, ICV hummed, fuel pump ran, car cranked, no dice :(

Pulled the plugs, no fuel. Grounded a plug and checked, no spark.

I do not have the cluster in yet (waiting on M5 coding plug), so I cannot tell if there's a CEL.

Plugged in my Schwaben reader, wont pull the VIN when running the BMW program, but running the generic OBD2 read it seemed to go through. No stored codes, one pending code, I think that means I can assume the DME is live and Markert tuned out EWS.

Checked relays, this I had a hard time as Markert hasn't been able to tell me which is which, and I got conflicting information online, but pulling out and testing, was able to ID the DME based on ICV hummm and fuel pump activity, so it seems that relays are working.... Also, why are 2 of these 5 pin relays? Not a single one has the middle pin wired, is that normal??
              [/url]

also thought I may have swapped fuel lines, so i swapped them, then looked at it again, only to see that I had them on correctly the first time with feed going to top of rail, return on bottom from the FPR so put them back the way I found them, there was fuel in the lines.

I also checked the crank sensor, was plugged in, and from what i can tell, had the correct wires plugged in, so I ordered a new CPS and hoping that is my problem.

Anything else I should be checking at this point?

Comment

Have you tried spraying a bit of starter fluid in there? Maybe the system needs time to pressurize? How long did you crank it for?

Are you able to verify if the injectors are pulsing?
                IG: deniso_nsi Leave me feedback here

Comment

Originally posted by dude8383 View Post
                  Have you tried spraying a bit of starter fluid in there? Maybe the system needs time to pressurize? How long did you crank it for?

Are you able to verify if the injectors are pulsing?
                  I haven't sprayed starter fluid since there was no fuel smell on the plugs and when i pulled a plug and grounded it, did not see any spark.

Tried cranking it for a decent amount of time. Injectors were recently rebuilt and cleaned. Got a new CPS arriving tomorrow from FCP, going to dig back into it then.

Otherwise have a good ground by the power junction, the motor arm and another from block to strut tower on drivers side.

Comment

Installed a new crank position sensor, no luck.

Fuel rail has pressure.

No spark or fuel still....

Can someone confirm whether or not I would see EWS codes or not?

Comment

It would give you an EWS code but I have no idea if your scanner is capable of showing that. Those are generic trouble codes that it spit which isn't reassuring.

Do you have another ECU you can try? Where is the tune from... did you try reaching out to whomever you purchased it from?

Comment

318i Sedan - S52 no start :(

It would give you an EWS code but I have no idea if your scanner is capable of showing that. Those are generic trouble codes that it spit which isn't reassuring.

Do you have another ECU you can try? Where is the tune from... did you try reaching out to whomever you purchased it from?

Using a Schwaben, the BMW specific program will not get past the VIN reading, but using the generic OBD2 reading it only had a pending running loss code, nothing under “stored”.

I do have a Simon3 for my E91, wondering if I can use that on this application.

Been waiting on word from Markert in terms of next steps, they did tune and harness.

I got my coding plug last night from Romania, putting cluster in tonight to check for CEL.

Comment

Can you manually enter a VIN with that scanner? I know that with my S54 I gotta enter the VIN manually because it too doesn't pick it up automatically.

Comment

Can you manually enter a VIN with that scanner? I know that with my S54 I gotta enter the VIN manually because it too doesn't pick it up automatically.
                            that's a thought, will look into it.
                            Thanks!

Comment

Went through my Schwaben reader by going through the manual vehicle selection, 1999 M3, that got me these three random DME codes.

Cleared, nothing changed.

Borrowed another reader, just had a P1145 code:

Otherwise, I put new tail light seals, did a compression test (numbers looked great).

Was going to install cluster, it’s a Maustech cluster with oil temp, is this white wire my oil temp?

Comment

Looks like I still have EWS, so DME is going back to Markert.

This is good newsas I have not found anything else that looks bad and I have been going mad trying to diagnose what could be wrong... I am about to head off to JRTC at Ft Polk, so taking a month break, going to nug away at little things before then, feeling confident enough to get going on exhaust.

Comment

Working...
                                X