M3 Cluster Install Steps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Schneller 3er View Post
    The E28 M5 circuit board will not work into the E30 coding plug. The pins are too short, and will not reach the SI board. You have to plug the ckt board directly into the cluster, without the coding plug. That's what I had to do with mine. It should work properly.
    so basically to get an 8k tach with a 6cyl - E28 M5 coding plug without the case, E30 M3 tach?
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by jrdeamicis View Post
      I have first hand experience with that.

It reads about 20-30 lower.
      This is fact. I too have first hand experience with this. I have a sensor in my oil pan now and installed a sensor in the oil filter adapter close to the block. The sensor on the adapter is accurate, whereas the sensor in the pan is so far off, it barely registered on the gauge.
      "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
      88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
      89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
      91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

funny because in other threads people insist the oil pan is the best place!
        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
          so basically to get an 8k tach with a 6cyl - E28 M5 coding plug without the case, E30 M3 tach?
          And the verdict is......

Also how do you go about dismantling the coding plug and getting to stay put in the cluster?

Comment

the plastic surround that holds the ckt board isn't necessary. There is a little hinged door on the end that will flip open and the board will slide out. The pins are an interferrence fit to each other so that actually keeps it together when installed in the car.
            sigpic
            Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
            92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
            88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
            88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
            87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
            12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

oil sender

UUC does have this adaptor that comes off the oil filter. They made the prototype for me a couple of years ago. Very clean install for the oil temp sender . Good luck, Joe

Comment

Hate to bring up an old thread, but figure it would be best to consolidate information.

Other than the Oil temp sensor (I used a Rally Road oil distribution block), I also have a Pin 19 wire for C101 to cluster. What's the best way to route this?

Comment

Working...
                X