Mike's Alpine White 1991 318is

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fresh_TD View Post
    Looks good. I had one on mine, they sound good.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    Originally posted by ATL_E30 View Post
    Looks great Mike! Can't wait to get mine on!
    Originally posted by TFJR View Post
    Looks perfect! The exhaust looks like a quality unit. We need a high quality exhaust clip now!
    Thanks all! I'd like to get a sound clip at some point. I've put a few hundred miles on the exhaust and I love it. Great sound, no drone. My daughter said "it's cool", it's wife approved, and my son has fallen asleep on more than 1 car ride.

State Inspection
    In other news, I got the car inspected earlier this month. A couple of the guys at the Sunoco down the street have e30s (a 318 vert and 325is coupe). Always fun to hang out and chat with them about e30 stuff! The only place I'll take my car for inspection as I know they'll treat it well. :D

Dulles Landing Cars and Coffee

The same guys from the Sunoco at regulars at the Dulles Landing Cars and Coffee. There was a good e30 / classic BMW turnout today.

Another BMW that showed up at Dulles Landing was fresh_TD's stellar '91 318i. This car is something special. Low number of owners, tons of service history, and less than 100K miles on the clock. It's was a lot of fun to check out.

Keyless Entry

Speaking of fresh_TD, he recommended the Docooler keyless entry. $18 on amazon. After some quick research it comes highly recommended by the e30 crowd. At Cars and Coffee, he hooked me up with the necessary wire taps and loops! Thanks, fresh_TD!

I installed it this afternoon with the help of my daughter. She sat in the trunk and learned about wire stripping and working safely with electricity. It's only a few wires and doesn't take more than 10 minutes to install. While I was in there I found a trailer harness. Eric Giles' post was very helpful for wiring instructions as the Docooler instructions are wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by mike.bmw View Post
      Thanks all! I'd like to get a sound clip at some point. I've put a few hundred miles on the exhaust and I love it. Great sound, no drone. My daughter said "it's cool", it's wife approved, and my son has fallen asleep on more than 1 car ride.

State Inspection

In other news, I got the car inspected earlier this month. A couple of the guys at the Sunoco down the street have e30s (a 318 vert and 325is coupe). Always fun to hang out and chat with them about e30 stuff! The only place I'll take my car for inspection as I know they'll treat it well. :D

Dulles Landing Cars and Coffee

The same guys from the Sunoco at regulars at the Dulles Landing Cars and Coffee. There was a good e30 / classic BMW turnout today.

Another BMW that showed up at Dulles Landing was fresh_TD's stellar '91 318i. This car is something special. Low number of owners, tons of service history, and less than 100K miles on the clock. It's was a lot of fun to check out.

Keyless Entry

Speaking of fresh_TD, he recommended the Docooler keyless entry. $18 on amazon. After some quick research it comes highly recommended by the e30 crowd. At Cars and Coffee, he hooked me up with the necessary wire taps and loops! Thanks, fresh_TD!

I installed it this afternoon with the help of my daughter. She sat in the trunk and learned about wire stripping and working safely with electricity. It's only a few wires and doesn't take more than 10 minutes to install. While I was in there I found a trailer harness. Eric Giles' post was very helpful for wiring instructions as the Docooler instructions are wrong.

You'll love the keyless entry long time [emoji16][emoji16]

'91 318i (Alpine) - daily
      '88 325ix (Zinno) - drive here and there!

Comment

Dream car right here

Comment

I will be purchasing that keyless entry. Thanks for the post
          1989 325i LS Swap (Money Pit):https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=244933
          COTM Feb 2019: https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=428404

Comment

Absolutely gorgeous car. Bravo and well done.

Comment

DMC Prep Part 1: Exterior Detailing

I plan on attending the 36th Deutsche Marque Concours event next month. I went for the first time last year and had a great time (and placed 2nd in the 80s vintage BMW class!). My schedule for the next month is a bit full, so I figured I get the e30 ready in a few detailing sessions (exterior, interior, engine bay, final wash/clean) spread across the next few weeks.

Today I tackled the exterior. The paint was still in pretty good condition from the clay, polish, and wax I performed last year, but I figured it was time for another clay and wax. I washed, clayed, and waxed the exterior over the course of 3 hours. I went through a whole role of painters tape masking off the trim. I used my Harbor Freight orbital with Meguiar's High Tech Yellow Wax.

Washed and clayed:

Tape, tape, tape:

Above the belt:

Below the belt:

All done!

I was just using my cell phone to take photos. The lighting was terrible. So you won't be able to see much of a difference between the first and last photos, but the paint is sooooooooo smooth now. :D

Comment

That's beautiful
                sigpic

(clicky on piccy to get to thread)

Comment

Looks shiny on my phone!!

'91 318i (Alpine) - daily
                  '88 325ix (Zinno) - drive here and there!

Comment

Looks amazing as always!
                    Eric Giles
                    '20 M2 CS
                    '04 M3
                    '11 X5 35D
                    '87 325is
                    '91 325i Sport

There are few things more expensive than a cheap BMW...

Comment

Every time you post an update it really makes me want to get a set of Ronal's!
                      Steve • Toronto
                      1991 318is • Brillantrot
                      Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by econti View Post
                        That's beautiful
                        Originally posted by fresh_TD View Post
                        Looks shiny on my phone!!

Originally posted by Eric Giles View Post
                        Looks amazing as always!
                        Thanks, all!

Originally posted by Powling View Post
                        Every time you post an update it really makes me want to get a set of Ronal's!
                        I'm very happy with Ronals so far and the Yokohama S Drives as well. I really want a set of RS001s, but they are so expensive at this point I could buy a second e30 for the amount I'd spend on RS001s. Maybe a set will fall into my lap one day, we'll see! :)

Comment

Good attitude! Manifest the RS001s!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Comment

DMC Prep Part 2: Engine Bay

Today I spent about an hour cleaning the 328 wagon and another hour on the E30 the engine bay. The E30's engine bay was still pretty clean from the last cleaning (last year), but there was a fair amount of dust and debris from normal driving.

I came across a tool at Costco that connects to a standard hose and uses the water pressure to turn a brush. I thought this might be great for cleaning weave-style wheels as well as parts of the engine bay. I tried it out today and it's a keeper. It makes cleaning the wheels soooo easy. It did a good job on various parts of the engine bay as well.

The engine bay has a ton of cosmoline in it. It's never really bothered me. He's a photo after the cleaning:

Next weekend I'll try to find time to do the interior.

Comment

Mike,
                              Been a while Since we met, car is looking amazing. Hope all is well with you

Comment

Originally posted by mike.bmw View Post
                                Thanks, all!

I'm very happy with Ronals so far and the Yokohama S Drives as well. I really want a set of RS001s, but they are so expensive at this point I could buy a second e30 for the amount I'd spend on RS001s. Maybe a set will fall into my lap one day, we'll see! :)

Beautiful! Amazing e30 and detail job.

I have a set of new Ronals on their way. Can’t wait to put them on. I plan to get the S Drives as well.

The RS’s are way out of my league now. Maybe someday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                                90 Bronzit 325is
                                16 Black Sapphire 340i M Sport

Comment

Working...
                                X