Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone have any experience with FITech surge tanks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For tech, it's easy enough to look at the NASA and SCCA rule books to see what they say about surge tanks. When I built mine, I determined that it would be unsafe and likely to fail tech to run the lines inside the cabin (like Beej did). I basically replaced the lines from/to the stock tank with much longer hoses, and entered the trunk from underneath the car, so there are no fuel lines in the cabin. I used soft lines under the car (with barbed fittings) and PTFE lines inside the car (with AN fittings), both for safety and to ensure there are no fuel smells inside the car (rubber lines permeate a bit). There's pics in my build thread. I've had no issues with tech running with NASA, and I can take the stock tank down until the fuel light is on with no starvation at all. It was well worth it.

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Digitalwave View Post
      For tech, it's easy enough to look at the NASA and SCCA rule books to see what they say about surge tanks. When I built mine, I determined that it would be unsafe and likely to fail tech to run the lines inside the cabin (like Beej did). I basically replaced the lines from/to the stock tank with much longer hoses, and entered the trunk from underneath the car, so there are no fuel lines in the cabin. I used soft lines under the car (with barbed fittings) and PTFE lines inside the car (with AN fittings), both for safety and to ensure there are no fuel smells inside the car (rubber lines permeate a bit). There's pics in my build thread. I've had no issues with tech running with NASA, and I can take the stock tank down until the fuel light is on with no starvation at all. It was well worth it.
      That's pretty much how I intend to run mine. I am planning on using USCG spec low permeation fuel hose, so theoretically I shouldn't' have any fuel smell. I also purchased proper fuel injection line hose clamps and I believe I can double clamp them at that.

Comment

I run an FI Tech surge tank. I’ve been thrilled with it so far.
        I can now run my tank to empty with no problems.
        I actually mounted mine in the engine compartment on the frame rail where the charcoal canister used to be.

Comment

Working...
        X