dome light frame thing missing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

dome light frame thing missing

So my nearly junk 86 es that I am trying to resurrect is completely missing the passenger side dome light, frame and all. The driver side light is there, with its frame, but just a big hole on the passenger side.

Without taking the headliner off I can't see whats going on up there. Is it possible to even put in a new support frame for the light? I can't seem to find it on realoem. Feeling around up there I can't picture how I would do it, even if I could get the part.

Anyone have any clues on this?
    2002 530i - Daily
    2013 Ford Flex Ecoboost - wifes/family hauler
    1986 325es - fun car (or money pit depending on who you ask)

My build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=422370

You'll have to remove the headliner to do it. The dome light is held in place by a plastic bracket/frame that you'll want to buy new. A used one will be 25+ years old and so brittle it will break just by looking at it.
    Originally posted by kronus
    would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

I've done it simply by pulling that part of the headliner down and installing it. It snaps into the roof, you run the wiring through the hole and reinstall the liner. It's not bad at all.
      "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
      88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
      89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
      91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

OK, so it's this thing;

I guess the one in my car broke, since I have the verticle part, for lack of a better word.

So I will need to remove the remnant of the one I have, and install a new one. Hopefully it doesn't end up being to much of a pain, and I don't tear up the headliner.
        2002 530i - Daily
        2013 Ford Flex Ecoboost - wifes/family hauler
        1986 325es - fun car (or money pit depending on who you ask)

My build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=422370

Comment

It's easy. One of the first things I did to my old e30. As mentioned above, you can peel back just that section and replace the frame. It's clear plastic so just don't be a brute about it. The weather sealing keeps the headliner in place right there so it's very little work, just a bunch of caution.
          Current_SeeDee 1972 e10 Luna 1975 e10
          Past___Veronica 1994 e36 Le-Ah 1987 e30

Comment

Working...
          X