Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Painting an IS lip

Hi-

The lip on my IS was broken when I bought it, so I sprung for a new OEM lip. It came primed for paint. How should I paint it? I want to do a matte-ish black that matches the trim on the rest of the car. The lip that came with the car was black like that and I rather liked the look vs the body color (Alpineweiß).

I've seen rattle cans and such - are they okay to use for this kind of application? I've never done auto body so it does kind of scare me. But, I'm handy and have done loads of DIY projects to good effect. If I fuck up, can I bring it to an auto body shop and they could re-paint it without issue? Just kind of need a direction to head and feel like I'll be okay.

Thanks!

I've added an IX lip to my iX afew months ago.
    I decided to use SEM black trim paint, I first sanded the lip with some scotch brite and degreased it thoroughly before applying it. It went on great.

1990 325iX Touring - November 2018 R3V Car Of The Month

1980 Volkswagen Golf mk1 1.1
    1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

^^ V nice!

I second SEM trim black.

Comment

Be especially mindful of temperatures with SEM trim black, have had to redo a couple of parts that I started in the late afternoon and finished in the evening. Other than that, it's a great product.

Comment

Working...
        X