M20 oil pressure spec

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M20 oil pressure spec

Can anyone post a reference for what the oil pressure should be at idle? On a cold start I'm seeing 60psi. When the engine warms up I'm seeing under 10. Assuming the gauge is not junk.

That's about what I see. About 60 cold, and about 9 when warm. I'm considering putting thicker oil in to see if it brings up the numbers a bit, since IIRC the lower threshold is like 7PSI, and 9 is a little close for comfort.

Comment

Bentleys says 60-80 psi max. 10 psi warm idle is a bit low. Das Beast, turbo stroker with all new rings, gaskets, bearings & oil pump puts out 60 psi cold idle, 30 psi warm idle, 60 psi warm 3K rpm. I'm running Mobile One 15W50 synthetic. What grade are you running?
      Last edited by dvallis; 04-01-2019, 10:17 AM. Reason: Typo
      "And then we broke the car. Again." Mark Donohue, "The Unfair Advantage"

1987 E30 3L Turbo Stroker Das Beast
      2002 E39 M5

Comment

5w50 due for an oil change. And who knows if it ever had a rebuild.

Comment

Originally posted by turbski View Post
          Can anyone post a reference for what the oil pressure should be at idle? On a cold start I'm seeing 60psi. When the engine warms up I'm seeing under 10. Assuming the gauge is not junk.
          what about warm at 3k rpm or so? This is the last important piece of the puzzle to troubleshoot your issue

Comment

Ill fire it up and get a warm reading

Comment

Originally posted by zaq123 View Post
              what about warm at 3k rpm or so? This is the last important piece of the puzzle to troubleshoot your issue
              cold start= 60psi
              warm idle=10 ish psi
              warm rev to 3k= 45psi

Comment

Good to go. I wouldn't worry too much about idle pressure. Unless it starts behaving atypically
                89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

I agree with Digger. We have gauges on the endurance cars, they read ~8-12 hot idle, and both cars peak out over 80, but we have the oil reliefs modified. The stock relief should be 68psi (max pressure).

Also, we run 10w60 RaceTech LiquiMoly. We saw an increase in hot idle pressures after switching from M1. We tried some conventional years ago (no oil cooler) and the hot idle pressure dropped sown to 4-5psi after a 40min practice session at the track on a hot summer Florida day.

Most inportantly, you need high pressure at higher engine speeds. General rule of thimb is 10psi for every 1000 rpm at a minimum (~5psi idle, 20psi at 2000). When we build fresh engines at the shop, we usually see closer to 40psi at 2000rpm.
                  john@m20guru.com
                  Links:
                  Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Mine reads about 9psi hot idle, ~42psi hot at 3000 rpm, and about 55 cold start up at idle. Think I'll try some thicker oil next oil change.

Comment

Im due for an oil change but will probably stick with 5w50 for the time being. Based on the feedback from the guys above im going to let a sleeping dog lie and not worry to much about it. I will ask just for the hell of it...… whats everyones choice in oil???

Comment

Originally posted by turbski View Post
                        ...… whats everyones choice in oil???

Turbo and race cars I use LiquiMoly 10w60 and the street cars either get the same 10w60 upon request of the client, or Mobil 1 15w50.
                        john@m20guru.com
                        Links:
                        Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

i now use this, says race oil but is ok for normal road use. the oil companies go pretty full on with marketing and BS

Racing 10 is a premium 100% PAO Ester full synthetic SAE 10W-40, SHEAR FREE modern engine oil. It contains an anti wear package of *FULL ZINC+ (exceeding 2200+ ppm levels) for ultimate engine wear protection. Factory Racing Penrite 10 Tenths Racing products are used by Factory Race Teams to provide the ultimate in performance and protection. To visit our Factory Racing Partners and Penrite Brand Ambassadors Click Here Application: Racing 10 is designed for use in modern 4, 6 8+ cylinder, multi cam, multi-valve including VVT, naturally aspirated, supercharged turbocharged engines. It can be used in standard and high performance engines for both competition and normal on/off road use in a wide range of vehicles. Racing 10 is recommended for use in vehicles where SAE 10W-30 or 10W-40 engine oils were originally recommended by the manufacturer. It can be used where ACEA A3/B3 is recommended in model years prior to 2017 and also where API SN and previous specifications SM (2004-2010), SL (2001-2004), SJ (1998-2000) or earlier specifications are recommended. It is suitable for use in many Diesel and LPG powered vehicles requiring an engine oil meeting API CF or where ACEA A3/B3 is required prior to 2017 and where ACEA A3/B4 is recommended prior to 2008. It is not recommended for use in diesel vehicles fitted with a DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter). Racing 10 is a Shear Free formulation that eliminates viscosity loss and maintains oil pressure during extreme engine operating conditions. Its unique formulation of base oil and technically advanced, performance additive pack, make it safe to use with modern emission control devices such as catalytic converters ensuring the ultimate in performance and protection for your engine. Vehicles and Fuel Types Racing 10 is suitable for use in competition applications and for on/off road use in passenger cars and light commercial vehicles. It can be used with Petrol, LPG, E10, E85 (Racing Competition only), diesel (without DPF), avgas, nitro, methanol other conventional fuels. It is not suitable for use in motorcycles with wet clutches. Penrite Ten Tenths Racing 10 has been proven in race and competition conditions in engines requiring a high performance full synthetic engine oil. It is the product of choice for many competitors running competition vehicles in circuit drag racing, rallying, drifting, hill climb, targa, time trials and regularity. Important Information when changing oil. NOTE: when changing oil, Penrite recommend using Penrite Engine Flush, a fast acting, solvent free, engine cleaning formulation that removes engine deposits, sludge and contaminants with the oil service drain. It contains added zinc for engine wear protection and its fast acting formulation works in 10 minutes. Please Note: A 58mm cap with pouring tap is available to fit 7, 10 20 litre packs. https://penriteoil.com.au/products/58mm-plastic-tap *Full Zinc + = Zinc level + Boron level combined as a total anti-wear package

its normally quite expensive but got some bottles for $32 5L on special which is almost 1/2 RRP

was using a 10W-50 in summer but now just stick with 10W-40 all year round as oil doesnt get hot enough
                          89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Likewise, I find that the oil choice makes the biggest difference with idle pressure,
                            Mobil1 15-50 sitting a little under 20 when it comes off track.

The VR-1 idle pressure was higher- but it also generated significantly more oil temperature at speed.

I went back to the Mobil product.

t
                            now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Originally posted by digger View Post
                              i now use this, says race oil but is ok for normal road use. the oil companies go pretty full on with marketing and BS

Racing 10 is a premium 100% PAO Ester full synthetic SAE 10W-40, SHEAR FREE modern engine oil. It contains an anti wear package of *FULL ZINC+ (exceeding 2200+ ppm levels) for ultimate engine wear protection. Factory Racing Penrite 10 Tenths Racing products are used by Factory Race Teams to provide the ultimate in performance and protection. To visit our Factory Racing Partners and Penrite Brand Ambassadors Click Here Application: Racing 10 is designed for use in modern 4, 6 8+ cylinder, multi cam, multi-valve including VVT, naturally aspirated, supercharged turbocharged engines. It can be used in standard and high performance engines for both competition and normal on/off road use in a wide range of vehicles. Racing 10 is recommended for use in vehicles where SAE 10W-30 or 10W-40 engine oils were originally recommended by the manufacturer. It can be used where ACEA A3/B3 is recommended in model years prior to 2017 and also where API SN and previous specifications SM (2004-2010), SL (2001-2004), SJ (1998-2000) or earlier specifications are recommended. It is suitable for use in many Diesel and LPG powered vehicles requiring an engine oil meeting API CF or where ACEA A3/B3 is required prior to 2017 and where ACEA A3/B4 is recommended prior to 2008. It is not recommended for use in diesel vehicles fitted with a DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter). Racing 10 is a Shear Free formulation that eliminates viscosity loss and maintains oil pressure during extreme engine operating conditions. Its unique formulation of base oil and technically advanced, performance additive pack, make it safe to use with modern emission control devices such as catalytic converters ensuring the ultimate in performance and protection for your engine. Vehicles and Fuel Types Racing 10 is suitable for use in competition applications and for on/off road use in passenger cars and light commercial vehicles. It can be used with Petrol, LPG, E10, E85 (Racing Competition only), diesel (without DPF), avgas, nitro, methanol other conventional fuels. It is not suitable for use in motorcycles with wet clutches. Penrite Ten Tenths Racing 10 has been proven in race and competition conditions in engines requiring a high performance full synthetic engine oil. It is the product of choice for many competitors running competition vehicles in circuit drag racing, rallying, drifting, hill climb, targa, time trials and regularity. Important Information when changing oil. NOTE: when changing oil, Penrite recommend using Penrite Engine Flush, a fast acting, solvent free, engine cleaning formulation that removes engine deposits, sludge and contaminants with the oil service drain. It contains added zinc for engine wear protection and its fast acting formulation works in 10 minutes. Please Note: A 58mm cap with pouring tap is available to fit 7, 10 20 litre packs. https://penriteoil.com.au/products/58mm-plastic-tap *Full Zinc + = Zinc level + Boron level combined as a total anti-wear package

its normally quite expensive but got some bottles for $32 5L on special which is almost 1/2 RRP

was using a 10W-50 in summer but now just stick with 10W-40 all year round as oil doesnt get hot enough

I would say that is some very expensive oil and having trouble sourcing it, on the other hand the liquimoly is easier to come by than I thought, even found it on amazon of all places. I might give it a try and see what the car thinks about it.

Comment

Working...
                              X