Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone with shipping knowledge, please help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you all for the replies! Unfortunately, the seller is patently refusing to be involved at all with crating/shipping. Does anyone know if any of the mentioned companies would pack and crate? Would the crating have to be done by a completely separate entity?

Originally posted by markseven View Post
    Have you considered flying out, renting a minivan and driving back with the parts?
    Unfortunately since the business is just me and Dad, one of us leaving for that trip would severely hurt our progress on other customer cars and our bottom line. It would be a good plan otherwise, for sure.
    Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one? Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!

Comment

Originally posted by ELVA164 View Post
      Unfortunately since the business is just me and Dad, one of us leaving for that trip would severely hurt our progress on other customer cars and our bottom line. It would be a good plan otherwise, for sure.
      I'll do it for you. Just pay for the drives/flights/whatever/etc.
      See sig for relevant experience(s).

No joke, it would be awesome to do.

As for the shipping question, like others unfortunately I would HIGHLY recommend crating that, with padding against the crate. It's a pretty damn hard to find part and it would be horrible to have it get damaged in shipping. I can't recommend any shops around there to do it because I don't live there. There may be something, but it will cost time too (From when I had a place do it in Wausau, it was $200 for that alone, which was a huge ripoff and I did it myself for a customer, sucking it up if any damage happened, which it didn't). But, my point is, crating is pretty much a necessity, and will need to be the first priority to determine shipping. FedEX Might be able to package it for you down there, but that'll be pricey. Seeing as the seller won't, might be the biggest issue at hand.

Toss up really. IF IT WERE ME and I had the need for it, I'd be driving to pick it up. Done it many times. Have plenty of transportation options at my disposal too. ;)
      Last edited by TurboJake; 03-24-2015, 08:10 PM.

Leave Me Transaction Feedback

Comment

SUP!....

Race cars for sale and race cars wanted, rally cars, spares, memorabilia, transporters and pit equipment for sale with on-line photos and spec sheets.
        Simon
        Current Cars:
        -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Haha, that's the seller. I've been pursuing a few different avenues (including Jake's extremely generous offer to help) and it looks like the largest hurdle is currently crating. It seems there's a company out there called Penn's Professional Packing which could do it, but their phone number comes up as a fax...

To be continued.
          Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one? Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Comment

This is a somewhat strange first post, but long-time lurker and saw your thread and wondered if you tried the car transporter companies?

In the Factory 5 world, Stewart Transport (888-737-4852) has a very good rep. Check out many of the build threads on ffcars.com and there will pics of the kits being delivered. Stewart does not require crating for the bodies/chassis, so maybe that eliminates a step for you too.

If it's not urgent, you could coordinate with Stewart (or similar - Intercity Lines) and whenever they happen to be delivering near Berkeley, have them pick up and bring the Cortina stuff back East.

(FYI - no connection to Stewart (or Intercity). I do have a FFR, but bought it third-hand and trailered home myself. Just know about them from the forums.)

Comment

Originally posted by Delaney View Post
              This is a somewhat strange first post, but long-time lurker and saw your thread and wondered if you tried the car transporter companies?

In the Factory 5 world, Stewart Transport (888-737-4852) has a very good rep. Check out many of the build threads on ffcars.com and there will pics of the kits being delivered. Stewart does not require crating for the bodies/chassis, so maybe that eliminates a step for you too.

If it's not urgent, you could coordinate with Stewart (or similar - Intercity Lines) and whenever they happen to be delivering near Berkeley, have them pick up and bring the Cortina stuff back East.

(FYI - no connection to Stewart (or Intercity). I do have a FFR, but bought it third-hand and trailered home myself. Just know about them from the forums.)

Interesting, thanks for the info. I've talked to two or three car transport companies and they've told me they try to avoid taking detached parts whenever possible--liability/damage concerns. I'll give a call tomorrow and see what he thinks!

Comment

I ship LTL every day, I second the suggestion of getting a pallet, and building a framework around it. I would then have them build walls and a lid with plywood and 2x4s, after coccooning the thing in foam sheets.

Comment

Originally posted by ELVA164 View Post
                  Haha, that's the seller. I've been pursuing a few different avenues (including Jake's extremely generous offer to help) and it looks like the largest hurdle is currently crating. It seems there's a company out there called Penn's Professional Packing which could do it, but their phone number comes up as a fax...

To be continued.
                  put that ad on yesterday's tractors. lots of truckers look there when they have space on their trailers.
                  sigpic
                  Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
                  92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
                  88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
                  88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
                  87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
                  12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

just don't use wilson trucking. they destroy our equipment on the reg. but yeah, build a crate and palletize it.
                    Build Threads:
                    Pamela/Bella/Betty/325ix/5-Lug Seta/S60R/Miata ITB/Miata Turbo/Miata VVT/951/325xi-6

Comment

Originally posted by flyboyx View Post
                      put that ad on yesterday's tractors. lots of truckers look there when they have space on their trailers.
                      Thanks bud, I'll look into it!
                      Originally posted by Julien View Post
                      just don't use wilson trucking. they destroy our equipment on the reg. but yeah, build a crate and palletize it.
                      Thanks for the heads-up.

Does anyone have an example of the type of business which crates/palletizes these types of things? The seller isn't going to do it, and it's my current hurdle. I unfortunately have zero experience with this type of thing.

Comment

def crate it and try XPO Logistics, I've shipped all kinds of stuff through them, no issues good prices

Comment

Working...
                        X