X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Best_name_available View Post
    Smh most kids would be greatful
    WTF are you talking about?

OP, I think if you want to repair this one, it's going to be out of pocket. Maybe take it to a shop and get their opinion on what it would take to fix it. Your shell looks clean so it could be worth it. Although I may be underestimating what it might take to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by rturbo 930 View Post
      WTF are you talking about?

OP, I think if you want to repair this one, it's going to be out of pocket. Maybe take it to a shop and get their opinion on what it would take to fix it. Your shell looks clean so it could be worth it. Although I may be underestimating what it might take to fix it.

In getting it check out tomorrow morning, I'll get back to you guys with a repair estimate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      E30 is life :finger:

Comment

Originally posted by varg View Post
        From the lack of rub damage on the underside of the battery box in the first set of pics, I'd say it wasn't that your tire hit the battery box and pushed it up when the wheel got shoved up, but instead your strut tower got pushed up and maybe in by the impact. The lower ride height on the affected side and the way the lower line of the fender is angled up with respect to the rocker panel work with this theory. If you compare the strut towers the difference should be visible judging by the severity of it. Unfortunately a bent unibody car is pretty much always a beyond economical repair situation. Damn shame.

My god you might be right

Comment

This sort of damage can be fixed- you'll need to find the right shop with a frame rack
          that can pull it back down, do the metalwork and welding, and then seal it back up.

how much is going to vary by shop, but it's not going to be cheap in your neck of the woods.
          Don't be afraid to get multiple estimates- you might have to dig around to find a shop
          that fixes race cars or similar.

When I stuffed my race car into the wall, a friend did the work in his shop on the rack
          on the weekend, and I paid the guy doing the actual work cash, under the table.

I'd bet the strut bottomed, hard.

t
          now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Fuck, that is shitty.
            Current:
            1989 325i
            1988 M3
            1987 325ic
            Past:
            2001 330ci
            2001 M3

Comment

My e30 was had the same cracks but not as bad as yours. I've noticed that when the car was jacked up it would close up. I just had it welded up and all seems fine but then again my car wasn't as bad as yours.

Comment

my advice would be to not hit pot holes

it looks like there was some pre-existing rust in the crack around the shock tower, which I could see weakened it and allowed the crack to expand under stress from the massive hole.

it would be easier and cheaper to find a newer car than to fix it. But it's not impossible. If you put any new parts into your car take them off and put them in a new e30. Sorry man

it's a Kenny Powers quote on wheels

Comment

Originally posted by TobyB View Post
                  This sort of damage can be fixed- you'll need to find the right shop with a frame rack
                  that can pull it back down, do the metalwork and welding, and then seal it back up.

how much is going to vary by shop, but it's not going to be cheap in your neck of the woods.
                  Don't be afraid to get multiple estimates- you might have to dig around to find a shop

When I stuffed my race car into the wall, a friend did the work in his shop on the rack

I'd bet the strut bottomed, hard.

t

There's a muscle car restoration shop near me, I'm swinging by there later today

Comment

Originally posted by efficient View Post
                    My e30 was had the same cracks but not as bad as yours. I've noticed that when the car was jacked up it would close up. I just had it welded up and all seems fine but then again my car wasn't as bad as yours.

I looks like rust but some dirt, I hit that bump HARD. It was like essentially hitting a speed bump at 60mph

Comment

Sorry to hear about your car man.
                      On a lighter note, this reminds me of the scene from "Pulp Fiction.." Jules was driving the car, Vincent turned to ask guy in back seat a question and BLAM!! Blew his head off on accident! "Why'd ya hit that bump?!"?!
                      :-)

Comment

If you like the car, go to a competent frame shop, leave it for a couple weeks and prepare to write a big check when it's done.

If you're not attached, find a new car and swap everything over. Much easier to go that route. I speak from experience.
                        '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

Originally posted by TobyB View Post

t
                          Agree.

That's how I got the body done on my e30. I had a daily driver so the e30 was a spare. I found a shop that had a good reputation, would take their time and let me pay under the table.

I should have paid roughly twice what my bill was.
                          I'm still pretty impressed with how it all turned out.
                          Only downside was they threw out my NLA factory mud flaps
                          If it's got tits or tires, it's gonna cost ya!

Comment

First shop quoted me 1800 [emoji52]

Comment

Doesn't sound that bad to me. I'd want to make sure you bring it to a competent shop if you go that route. Things could get ugly fast if they don't know what they're doing.
                              1991 318is Brillantrot daily driver (slow restoration)

Comment

what does that entail? perhaps you can suggest saving some money by taking off the bumper, hood, and fenders and also installing them yourself? that could save a ton of money.
                                sigpic
                                Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
                                92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
                                88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
                                88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
                                87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
                                12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

Working...
                                X