This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pandaboo911 View Post
    Has anyone had a clutch disk break on their 24v swap?

My stock s52 just broke either the pressure plate or clutch.

Altho I think running 500whp through an oem Sachs clutch may have done some damage

You think? Lol
    Simon
    Current Cars:
    -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by pandaboo911 View Post
      Has anyone had a clutch disk break on their 24v swap?

My stock s52 just broke either the pressure plate or clutch.

Altho I think running 500whp through an oem Sachs clutch may have done some damage.

Broken a stock s52 friction disc @ Laguna Seca in the 36m with stock s52 power and good footwork/tires.

It happens
      OBD1 M54/M52TU swap as a M50b25

Z4 non powered steering rack fits e30

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

Originally posted by Wanganstyle View Post
        Broken a stock s52 friction disc @ Laguna Seca in the 36m with stock s52 power and good footwork/tires.

It happens

Was it with a stock dual mass flywheel?
        I'm running a single mass w/ sprung hub clutch. Figured the springs would absorb shock loads from clutch drops.

Anyone used the eBay Fx clutches? (F1 racing) looking at getting the stage 3 sprung hub clutch

Comment

I have one of those in the moupe. it makes crappy noises below 2krpm and rattles the trans at idle, but seems to grab ok with the SC. The unsprung disc it comes with got changed out to a sprung M5 one.
          cars beep boop

Comment

NOR-CAL General Chat.

It was a single mass steel 13 lbs flywheel and sprung hub friction disc with s52 pressure plate. Friction disc blew up into pieces

Pressure plate was tossed although likely salvageable; flywheel was undamaged

Setup had only 4 track hours and the driving to and from the track; I'm more guessing random part failure as the friction material broke off in clean chunks and the car drove itself into the repair bay just didn't have clutch function

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            Last edited by Wanganstyle; 04-28-2017, 05:02 PM.
            OBD1 M54/M52TU swap as a M50b25

Z4 non powered steering rack fits e30

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

NOR-CAL General Chat.

Originally posted by kronus View Post
              I have one of those in the moupe. it makes crappy noises below 2krpm and rattles the trans at idle, but seems to grab ok with the SC. The unsprung disc it comes with got changed out to a sprung M5 one.

Cool, my current flywheel also rattled a bit but it wasn't bad. On their website it says the stage 3 has a sprung hub clutch. Was yours a 6 puck?

Definitely don't want an unsprung clutch for a street car

Got quoted $260 for the Gripforce clutch lol.. That's cheeaaap.
              Last edited by pandaboo911; 04-28-2017, 05:10 PM.

Comment

Drove some heavy ass american car today. What is my life coming to.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
                C6Z
                S2K
                VeloN

Comment

Last edited by CarsonE30; 05-05-2017, 09:06 AM.
                  C6Z
                  S2K
                  VeloN

Comment

Anybody headed to the Brisbane 02 show tomorrow?

Comment

Any advise for a newbie..

m42 over heated about 6 months ago and turned into a milk shake machine.
                      Replaced the head gasket and shake still came pouring out.
                      Took it in and they said its was most likely a cracked head. Quoted 3k.
                      Tear into it again and found the crack. Got a head on CL with bent valves.
                      Replace the valves & seals sent it off to the machine shop to get resurfaced/pressure tested/cleaned.
                      About to start slapping it back together and all 4 pistons are wiggling in their bores. Didn't noticed that first time around...

Where should i go from here? What would you guys do?
                      I'm no expert at all, this is my first time tearing into a engine. Have a 2ed car & a Garage, i enjoy learning as a go but might be getting a little over my head. Any advise?

Comment

wiggling in their bores?

there's typically a bit of gap between a piston and the bore - the rings take up the space.
                        cars beep boop

Comment

Wouldn't the rings stop the piston from wiggling while they are in the bore?
                          Also read that the heat expands the metal so its not a big problem if there is movement.

Comment

Originally posted by mtech325 View Post
                            Anybody headed to the Brisbane 02 show tomorrow?
                            I'll be there.

Check out my Alpine's DEAD build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=348571

E36 M3 Build thread http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=597637

Comment

Originally posted by Cakey View Post
                              Wouldn't the rings stop the piston from wiggling while they are in the bore?
                              No, they do not. there is not tension in that direction in between the rings and the pistons. They should be able to wiggle some, but there is such a ting as too much wiggling. If your cylinder walls don't show any signs of scoring you're probably fine.

Originally posted by Cakey View Post
                              Also read that the heat expands the metal so its not a big problem if there is movement.
                              This is probably what you're feeling.
                              sigpic

Comment

Hey guys, got a new job and they sent me up north to Watsonville (45 mins north of Monterey) to the company HQ for training for 2 months. I drove the e30 up this past weekend so I could keep working on small projects and hoon around to entertain myself in this "quiet" area.

I am going to see the Ferrari challenge at laguna seca this weekend, Saturday. At $20 general admission and given how close I am, it'd be irresponsible not to go. Anyone else want to join? Make a mini caravan? I've got another friend or two driving up for the weekend to join me.

Also will probably do the autox at sonoma on Sunday, anyone interested to join for that as well? $90 and unlimited runs.
                                '89 325i OBD2 S52 BUILD THREAD
                                Shadetree30

Comment

Working...
                                X