Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Low-speed jingling/rattle/tin can sound from under car w/ video

1992 325i vert automatic

I have this really annoying jingle sound coming from the middle underside of my car. It only happens at less than ~5mph and goes away before I can even exit 1st gear. Originally I thought it was e-brake related but I jacked up the car and let it run and the sound is definitely coming from the middle.

Poking around some, I was able to pretty much replicate the noise by tapping the driveshaft with a screwdriver. My guibo looks good and I assume that my csb is good because I get no vibrations while driving.

Is there anything within the driveshaft tunnel that could come loose and be hitting the driveshaft? I just can't understand why it would go away above 5mph. Anyway, its pretty embarrassing to jingle my way through parking lots so any help is really appreciated

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcvuoccB28s

Looks like you jammed your exhaust up against the heat shield.

Comment

I have the same issue on my 92 vert. The exhaust is shifted about 1/2-1" to the driver side and makes contact with the heat shield around the Cat. Already replaced engine and tranny mounts, not sure how to correct it.

Comment

Could be a couple of things happening at the same time. Your heatshield looks bent as mentioned above, so that for sure is making noise.

The other contributing factor could be Getrag rattle. Every E30 I've been in has a slight tin can rattle sound from the transmission. Test this out by pushing the clutch pedal down, if the sound goes away, it's just typical transmission rattle. Thicker fluid can mask it.

Comment

does your guibo have a heatshield on it? maybe its loose. on my car the guibo has a heatshield held on by a c clip and it rattles

Comment

I really appreciate everyone's comments and suggestions. All of the heat shield comments led me to start looking in that area and it turns out that the collar nut on the driveshaft was completely loose. It was a pretty quick fix, but I think I may have over-tightened it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiY8KglpHFE

Comment

Working...
            X