Spectra Premium Gas tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spectra Premium Gas tank

I just got done replacing my tank with the Spectra BM1B and thought I would post my thoughts.

I cracked the tank at the tank from the muffler shifting and tapping the tank; I noticed a small puddle of fuel under the car the following morning from a slow drip.

I probably could have welded the tank after removing and purging it, but decided that it made more sense to replace it since Amazon could deliver a new one for $230 in 2 days. However, I couldn't find much feedback on the Spectra tank.

I was really surprised at how nice the tank is. First, it comes factory coated with a Ni-Tern coating that should offer excellent corrosion resistance without the need to paint it. The fit was exactly the same. It had the same internal fuel pump baffle and routing of the return line with the jet pump.

My old tank was 28 years old and actually had zero corrosion on the inside. The filler neck had some rust but otherwise would have been good for another 10 years.
    Attached Files

thanks

Comment

Thanks for posting. What year and model are your car?
      1992 325i Cabrio
      1988 320i Touring
      2000 M5
      1977 530i
      2015 328i - Euro Delivery/Performance Center Delivery
      BMWCCA
      E30CCA

Comment

Originally posted by cory58 View Post
        Thanks for posting. What year and model are your car?
        I have a '90 325is.

This tank fits '87+

Comment

So you moved over the fuel lines from the top over to the new tank? I am back and forth between getting this one or the OEM one, but I just cant justify $1000. If it was $500 that would be worth it but not when aftermarket is $200.

Do you have the link to the one you bought?
          Euro Delivery Thread///E30 Project Klaus///COTM August 2021

Comment

i bought one for my 86 325e, it was a spectra aswell but i bought it from autozone. it was 190 when i bought it like 2-3 years ago. fits well only difference i noticed was that you dont get the drain bolt on the passenger side like the oem one.

Comment

Originally posted by efficient View Post
              i bought one for my 86 325e, it was a spectra aswell but i bought it from autozone. it was 190 when i bought it like 2-3 years ago. fits well only difference i noticed was that you dont get the drain bolt on the passenger side like the oem one.
              Thanks, I just ordered the Spectra from Amazon, $200 including shipping. I think its the best bet, I could care less about the drain. If I ever have to pull this thing again I can drill it to drain and buy a new one and it will still be less then half the price of OEM.

Is anyone painting theirs? I dont want it silver, I was going to paint it black to match the bottom of the car.

Comment

I didn't paint mine because the color doesn't bother me and it's super rust resistant (supposedly). Someone that's had one longer might comment on that.
                Other than that, everything transferred over and I've run through a few tanks of gas without issue.
                For the money it's a no-brainer.

Comment

Originally posted by hoveringuy View Post
                  I didn't paint mine because the color doesn't bother me and it's super rust resistant (supposedly). Someone that's had one longer might comment on that.
                  Other than that, everything transferred over and I've run through a few tanks of gas without issue.
                  For the money it's a no-brainer.
                  Thanks! Should have mine tomorrow!

Comment

I bought one of those off Rockauto, it has been working well for three years now.

Comment

Mine is ready to go just have to put it back in.

I painted it black to match the OEM one and did Wurth undercoating as well.

Moved everything over to the new tank.

Comment

Last edited by The Dark Side of Will; 10-24-2017, 03:08 PM.

Comment

I've had mine in for four years at this point.
                          I didn't undercoat it, but did paint with an epoxy spray paint.
                          Fit was OEM exact except for the dents where fuckmonkeys had jacked the car up on the tank (ON BOTH SIDES! WTF?!).

Comment

Originally posted by The Dark Side of Will View Post
                            I've had mine in for four years at this point.
                            I didn't undercoat it, but did paint with an epoxy spray paint.
                            Fit was OEM exact except for the dents where fuckmonkeys had jacked the car up on the tank (ON BOTH SIDES! WTF?!).

Haha yea I had dents on both sides of my old tank.

I dont think you need to undercoat it, since I am cleaning up my car as I put in subframe front and rear etc I decided to undercoat to make it all match.

Comment

Just an update this tank fit almost perfect. Its definitely worth $200 vs the OEM $1200.

The front middle bolt hole is slightly off so I could not use the metal insert. I may drill it over a bit in the future so I can use it but with the rubber grommet in there (and a washer) plus the other 4 in their perfectly I am not too worried about it.

Comment

Working...
                              X