• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dude, amazing find! You're in the springs as well?!? I have to see it *.*
    Eve- 86' Black E325 Sedan
    Mjolnir- 87' White 325 Sedan
    Rusty- 85' White 325 Coupe

Comment

I love this thread, the s38 is bmw perfection I find myself pondering the sale of organs to buy one.

Glad to see your work paying off as all the pieces come together on this car

Comment

I had some time to work on the car a bit more the other weekend.

First off, the old ac fan did not help the overheating issue. I installed a spal thin mount fan and it has helped to keep temps down. I test drove the car in 90F and it still creeps up at idle or after a hard run. I thought about replacing the radiator with an s54 z3 radiator but the mounts used fit a late model e30 and mine has the early model radiator mounts.

So I ordered an e28 535i radiator and it is on its way. I'm thinking new unbent fins and better condition overall should help the engine cooling, we will see.

My brother came to visit as we were planning to do a track day but it was cancelled at the last minute. So after i showed him the car and I was talking about things i need to do, I mentioned the ride height.

The skid plate would scrape on my ramp driveway while entering/exiting slowly at an angle. It was literally less than 2 inches off the ground. As we talked I remember my spare set of springs and before we knew it we were pulling the front wheels off to test.

It turns out the front struts are also spax adjustable dampers like the rears so those stayed on and the old rusty springs were taken out.

This did the trick and raised the front atleast an inch and leveled out the ride height. I'll let a few pictures do the talking.

318iS Track Rat :nice: www.drive4corners.com
        '86 325iX 3.1 Stroker Turbo '86 S38B36 325

No one makes this car anymore. The government won't allow them, normal people won't buy them. So it's up to us: the freaks, the weirdos, the informed. To buy them, to appreciate them, and most importantly, to drive them.

Comment

It looks a lot better, now you can get meatier tires.
          How to remove, install or convert to pop out windows
          http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=297611

Could be better, could be worse.

Comment

I had the same problem on over heating. I bought a new e28 m5 radiator for my s38 (m88). The 29 year radiator was clogged up with calcium build up. The e28 535i will keep he s38 cool..
            Projects Hartge,Alpina & AC Schnitzer Builds.http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=280601
            http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=227993
            http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=289362

DSC04926 by Raul Salinas, on FlickrDSC03413 by Raul Salinas, on Flickr

Comment

Normally I'm against raising ride height. In this case though, wow your car looks great at that height!

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
              Transaction feedback
              - jpod999

Comment

updates?
                I BUY/SELL REFURBISHED CM5907s & CM5908s

HOWTOs:
                DB vert plastic bumpers
                OEM Keys
                MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                91 ic Calypso 3.1
                86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

reelizmpro: I will always be an e30 guy.. I still do all of my own labor
                TrentW: There's just something so right about a well-built M20 in an E30
                e30m3s54turbo: I save my money for tuner parts.

Comment

You taking this to D4C this year?
                  My previous build (currently E30-less)
                  http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170390

A 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad in Inferno is my newest obsession

Comment

Wow, speechless.

[IMG]https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/my350z.com-vbulletin/550x225/80-parkerbsig_5096690e71d912ec1addc4a84e99c374685fc03 8.jpg[/IMG

Comment

baws.

Comment

To answer Mr E30, I did not take this car to drive 4 corners for a couple of reasons. The main reason though is the fact that it does not have a title and registration and insurance so if anything happened I didn't want to risk it. I took my Z3 and it was great with a few 100 mph runs and over 30 mpg combined for the trip.

Here is the highlight video if you haven't seen it. Maybe in the next year or two this car will make the journey.

August 25-27, 2017 was the annual Drive 4 corners BMW event. This is the largest annual BMW driving event and gathering in the Rocky Mountain region. Partici...

It has been a while since I update this thread and truth be told I have been busy with other priorities so this car mostly sat with a couple startups and battery tender plugins. I recently got a few things done on it. Back in June I gathered all of the necessary paperwork to take to the DMV for VIN and titling. Since the car sat for so long and was not titled within the time period it was brought in to the country, I have to apply for a Colorado Assigned VIN. After finding all of the paperwork and filling it out and finally feeling good about it to take it to the DMV, I went back in June. The DMV stated I had all paperwork except one form was updated, the Colorado Assigned VIN form which had been changed and now they could not process that paperwork in my county and it was all being processed outside of Denver. The alternative was to send it in the mail and not know if the paperwork was processed or if it even arrived. That was my last option and I didn't want to chance it.

I looked up the location and it was only open on weekdays between 8 am and 5 pm and I work at those times. It was not open on weekends. Due to a new job my vacation time is limited and I did not want to travel to the DMV, take a day off and find out again I had the wrong paperwork. My dad recently retired so I gave him the paperwork to go there for me. Since he had to pay fees and I attached a copy of my Licence I didn't think it would be a problem. Apparently when he went up there, he needed a Power of Attorney to pay fees and submit the same paperwork that I would have submitted by mail...

I had the paperwork back in July unsure of what I should do. The other day upon conversation with my identical twin brother who recently changed jobs from north of denver to the middle of Denver, he said he might be able to drop of the paperwork for me and that if we traded ID's for the week it wouldn't be a problem. So the paperwork was submitted earlier this week. No receipt was given and no contact information either when asked about so the only information I have on the documents is that after the paperwork is submitted it could take 2 weeks for approval in which it is sent to my county Police Station who will call me to set up a time to bring the car back to have the Colorado Assigned VIN affixed to the vehicle. After that is complete I will need to go back to my local DMV with the correct paperwork to apply for title. In my case I will probably have to get a title by surety bond which would include an appraisal and bond before the title can be issued. So while that is being worked out, I decided I could do some small things to the car while it sits.

The first thing I did was dual trunk light. I have done that to 3 of my e30s now and it really makes a difference if you use the car to haul anything in the trunk. No pictures of that. Next when I was at the junkyard the other day there was one e30 in the yard and I noticed it was lachssilver. Upon inspection, the car had the hood strut hinge and the hinge in the s38 car had been replaced with another that I found at the junkyard which was calypso. I pulled the hinge and cleaned it before installing it on the car. It looks great and you wouldn't notice that it is not specific to the car now. I really like that I didn't have to try to match the paint code or something. I also found some wiring for a late model coolant reservoir and was able to cut it and length my coolant sensor wiring to connect to the m3 reservoir I am running. That took care of the last overhead check panel light that was still on so now the check light does not come on after engine start.

I bought some early model Euro Fog Lights (same as e30 M3, 535is) a while back for my Euro iX Turbo but was not able to install them due to the BBS valence I installed and my intercooler piping. Since I had them sitting I decided these would be way better on this car. The old ones were yellow and had cracks. Here is the replacement process.

The chrome housing on the old ones has some rust but they are definitely usable so I may save or resell to get some cash. You can see the m30 skid plate installed in the below photo.

You can see the dust on this thing since its been sitting.

I pulled off my Jimmy Hill front spoiler to load it on the trailer last time and never put it back on due to the lowness. I decided to start sanding it down and will be repainting it flat black which should really clean up the front of the car. I have sanded it but have more to do, so no pictures yet.

A while back I found a deal on some Motorsport Hardware Tracklight spacers in 4x100 20mm with the hubcentric ring so I picked them up specifically for this car. I decided to install them. Here is a picture of the front brakes. I have not measured them but they are significantly larger then e30 brakes. Picture shows the 318is front brake rotors as a comparison. The calipers have a single piston and run the hydroboost system. I will have to see if I can measure them and find what calipers and rotors it uses.

Spacer

Spacers on, would probably want lug studs with these as they spin when you put the wheel on.

I test fit my Kosei's 17x7 et 38 4x100 on Yokohama S drive after pulling off my white 325iX.

Then I test fit the wheels I had on my turbo iX which are heavy and steamrollers. 17x7.5 et42 4x100 hankook ventus hrII 235/40/17

One last thing I have been contemplating is a full standalone swap to megasquirt. I have a spare diypnp unit that would plug into the motronic 1.3, a spare wideband, a spare e36 vTPS sensor, and a laptop to tune. I found some parts and built a custom TPS adapter that would swap the stock TPS wiring for the correct variable TPS wiring. This one I built for a local guy. Let me know if you would like one built and I have enough parts to build about 8 more, as well as a hookup for a new vTPS sensor.

The last thing I worked on was a look at the fuel injectors. Since the car wasn't running right I considered taking the stock units out and having them cleaned. Cleaning runs about $20 each which would be $120 plus shipping to flow test the EV1 style injectors. Stock unit part number is 0 280 150 701 and is shared with the Euro S50. It came as an ivory color injector.

The updated unit is Lucas D3764FA and has the EV6 spray patten which is supposed to be better than the single pintle EV1 but all location I could find were sold out or expensive. It is also the same as the GB remanufactured 85212212. The cheapest I could find was actually from Rock auto at $35.79 each. BMW and other BMW supply parts websites listed significantly more for the BMW part number (over $100 each). So I started researching to find what injectors could maybe replace it. The 701 is supposed to flow 24#/hr at 3 bar fuel pressure. Supposedly flow testing puts them at 236 cc/min. Here is a local denver guy's flowtested set (93FIM5) taken from this thread http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e34...upgrade-7.html

That would actually be 22-23 #/hr. The closest EV6 injector to that was the 0-280-155-890 which is noted in that thread. I found a new set of those on ebay for $150.

After looking some more I came across the 0-280-155-931 which was used in the new pontiac GTOs and other LS motors. It is actually rated at 24/25 lb/hr or 262 cc/min. I decided to go with the larger size injectors which would support the full horsepower of the engine and allow for tuning if I used megasquirt rather than replacement if the 22 lb injectors were too small. All calculators I find say to support over 300 hp, injectors should be closer to 24+ lb/hr at 90% duty cycle.

I picked up the set of 8, used from a 66k mile camaro for $80. Maybe I can sell the extra two. These should be genuine, be careful about the cheap ebay style injectors that are not genuine bosch. Here is a video explaining the difference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2ne6AVnF2k
                        And another video showing difference between ev1 and ev6 injectors: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfynoxL2RZI

The EV6 has the 4 hole design, so here is a picture of that.

And since you've been patient, here are a couple shots of the engine bay as it sat before I removed the injectors.

No one makes this car anymore. The government won't allow them, normal people won't buy them. So it's up to us: the freaks, the weirdos, the informed. To buy them, to appreciate them, and most importantly, to drive them.

Comment

New injectors are installed and it fired right up. I will keep the stock ones with the car since lots of people are oem purists.

I decided to take a look at the rear wheels next. The lug nuts were extremely tight. I was able to break the passenger rear lug nuts loose with a full size tire iron and all of my strength. Once I got that off, the hubcentric Azev wheel was rusted onto the hub and I couldn't break it loose.

These wheels have been on the car for the last 4 years at a minimum and definitely didn't want to leave their perch. I eventually used a penetrating lubricant for a few days to get the hub off and was able to wrangle the wheel off the hub. I followed the same process to get the other side off. To give you an idea of how tight these lug nuts were on, this is the last lug nut I removed so once it broke loose the force on the wrench damaged this lug. I didn't think I could do this by hand.

Once I wrangled the drivers rear wheel free I test fit the same 17x7.5 wheel to see how it fit with the spacers mentioned above. No clearance problems with my high offset wheels.

Then I took a closer look at what was under the car. This is what I saw.

The springs are so rusty I can't even tell what they are. It looks like there are some remains of a sticker but I can't see anything legible on it. The rear struts are similar to the front, Spax adjustable so I sprayed some lubricant on the adjuster and may mess with them at some point.

As if by fate, the next day a pair of rear only Vogtland lowering springs popped up on craigslist (supposedly 10k miles if that means anything). I had heard the Vogtland springs lowered the car significantly and was unsure what to expect with them but figured for the price they would be a better option that the alternative which is a pair of 325iX rear springs. These should be stiffer than the iX springs without raising the ride height. Here is the spring master list, not sure if it is accurate or not.

So the next day I bought the springs for $50 and installed them. As it turns out the Vogtland springs are taller than the springs I removed.

While I was under there I noticed the passenger side fuel cover was rusting away also.

The last time I found an e30 at the junkyard I found a mostly rust free cover so I sanded it down and painted it black. With the rear struts removed to access the springs I was able to install it. One thing to note, spray some lube on the plastic nuts before removing. Sometimes the plastic nut can hold onto the stud so tight with the dirt and debris that has gotten in there that when you go to loosen it, it breaks off. With penetrating lubricant you can remove and reinstall without worry.;D

Putting the car back on the ground was the moment of truth. I measured before and the bottom of the fender was 24.375" from the ground on these wheels. Immediately after it was 25.125" from the ground so it raised it about 3/4 of an inch.

However the springs did settle. I measured before I left for work today and the height was 24.75" so it raised the car less than a half inch. I also called the DMV to see where my Colorado Assigned VIN number was at in the process. The forms said I would receive a call in two weeks but after contacting my local Sheriff's office they said the process takes 6 weeks which puts the approval around mid December... Then I have to take the car to the Sheriff's office to get the tag affixed to the car. More waiting I guess. I need to take this thing outside and give it a wash and photoshoot one of these days.
                          Last edited by downforce22; 11-07-2017, 02:47 PM.

Comment

I realize the Azev's have grown on me, but I really don't like the look of the stretched tires-- that is really what has bothered me about the setup as you bought it...

Slow progress, but looking back you have done a lot with the mechanical of this car.

What were the front brakes again? Or still unknown?
                            http://www.Drive4Corners.com

Comment

amazing find. any closer pics or more info on the brake booster they used?
                              sigpic

Comment

it's a transplanted E28 hydroboost, adds brake power assist via hydraulic pressure from the PS pump.
                                cars beep boop

Comment

Working...
                                X