X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
    Its definitely a 325i

I guess I will research how to test the CTS
    Cold start; Get a multimeter, set it to Ohms and test pins 45 and 24 iirc. It should read at about ~4k.

Then test it again when its warm. It should read at ~300 Ohms

And a good way to see if the waffleswaffleswaffleswaffles connecter is taking a shit is to test the resistance right at the sensor and compare it to what you're getting at the DME
    Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

Originally posted by MrBurgundy View Post
      Cold start; Get a multimeter, set it to Ohms and test pins 45 and 24 iirc. It should read at about ~4k.

Then test it again when its warm. It should read at ~300 Ohms

And a good way to see if the waffleswaffleswaffleswaffles connecter is taking a shit is to test the resistance right at the sensor and compare it to what you're getting at the DME
      The pins you speak of is at the DME connector?

Sensor is directly on the head isnt it? and thats the connector you're talking about

In other news, spent a little more on minor things
      From Garagistic
      -VDO odometer gears
      -LED OBC bar
      From R3V classifieds
      -Tan front floormats
      -Euro grills

Im hoping to get this stereo working too when I pull the HVAC panel out to fix the OBC also.

Other than that, its time to start spending money on the Datsun engine rebuild parts and also Bilsteins for it. Thats a big bill for each of those...
      Simon
      Current Cars:
      -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

The pins I'm referring to are at the dme. The sensors are on the thermostat housing. The blue one is the one that controls the fuel mix

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

The pins I'm referring to are at the dme. The sensors are on the thermostat housing. The blue one is the one that controls the fuel mix
          Perfect, we're on the same page. Now I just need to get my multimeter working again haha It keeps blowing fuses because I didnt know what I was doing when I was messing with something a while ago

My EE dad loves to make fun of my electrical testing abilities
          Simon
          Current Cars:

Comment

Nice to see you're back in another e30. Its amazing what a lip and drop can do for these cars.

The Aluminum Monster is partially the reason why there's an aluminum block m52 in my basement right now lol.
            '90 325i - 5 speed coupe
            '05 330ci 6MT ZHP

Comment

That was fast, congrats!

[IMG]https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/my350z.com-vbulletin/550x225/80-parkerbsig_5096690e71d912ec1addc4a84e99c374685fc03 8.jpg[/IMG

Comment

Originally posted by Codym42 View Post
                The Aluminum Monster is partially the reason why there's an aluminum block m52 in my basement right now lol.
                There will always be a special place in my heart for the Aluminum Monster and lightweight goodies in general. Im grateful that the car is still local and I shold be able to see it terrorizing people. You will not be disappointed, especially if you throw in S52 cams. I actually was shopping for a 97 Z3 2.8 so I could have the aluminum block again, but the only one I found was asking a high price and the thought of only owning convertibles was a bit much for me. Im happy with my choice

@MrBurgundy the tires are 205/50/16 I missed that question earlier

Im going to replace both coolant sensors and clean the ICV. Cant be a bad thing to do that. Jerrick (of JMP) thinks its fuel related so I also plan to change the fuel filter, fuel lines that go to & from it, and maybe a set of mustang injectors & Sssquid chip. Its a maintenance thing ;D
                Simon
                Current Cars:

Comment

Nice work (2)Man! Looks good. We're organizing our pile of 5 speed swap parts in the garage. Flywheel showed up yesterday.

I agree with new temp sensors - they're cheap and you eliminate that possibility. We had some warm-up stall issues at first - I cleaned and tested an ICV and assumed it was no longer the problem, but ended up getting new as it just wasn't working. Carb cleaner etc is bad on it's little internals.

Also, test the fuel pressure regulator if he suspects fuel. And there's always the Jim Levie list and a weird air leak somewhere.

Comment

Looks like a great daily! I have a soft spot for auto 4 door '88's. Sharp looking ride!
                    1988 325 Lachs Sedan SOLD

1989 325i Bronzit Beige 2 Door
                    SOLD

2018 Volkswagen Alltrack SE DSG
                    Past:1988 325iS Lachs 5 Speed

Comment

The car looks good on the J stocks. Did you need to roll the fenders at all or did everything tuck up nicely?

I would start with the temp senders. Like other people have said, they are cheap. NAPA autoparts usually has them. They took all of 5 min to replace on my M3. Not sure how easy they are to get to on an M20. The ICV could be suspect, does it buzz with the key on, but the engine off? If not, likely an issue.

Will
                      '59 Alfa Romeo 101.02 Giulietta Sprint
                      '69 Alfa Romeo 105.51 1750 GTV (R.I.P)
                      '69 Datsun 2000 roadster Vintage race car
                      '88 BMW M3

Comment

If it is the coolant sender, it still would be diagnosed as a fuel problem. Since that's what's telling the DME to shoot in more gas on a cold start.

You can just pop off the ICV, open the ignition and see if the vane moves.

Comment

I knew you wouldn't be gone long! As a fellow Cirrus Blau owner I have to ask... is the factory color coming back?
                          My Garage
                          2001 Z3 2.5i Steel Gray/Black (Lexi)
                          1988 325ix Diamond Schwartz/Black (Izzy)
                          1989 325i Cirrus Blue/Houndstooth (Stitch)
                          Feedback

Instagram: Stone.Hopkins

Comment

Originally posted by LateFan View Post
                            Nice work (2)Man! Looks good. We're organizing our pile of 5 speed swap parts in the garage. Flywheel showed up yesterday.

I agree with new temp sensors - they're cheap and you eliminate that possibility. We had some warm-up stall issues at first - I cleaned and tested an ICV and assumed it was no longer the problem, but ended up getting new as it just wasn't working. Carb cleaner etc is bad on it's little internals.

Also, test the fuel pressure regulator if he suspects fuel. And there's always the Jim Levie list and a weird air leak somewhere.
                            Thanks, Im going to take my time sourcing the parts for the swap so I can swoop on the deals, because Im not in a rush to get it done.

I have an electrical cleaner that I was going to use to clean the ICV, I might get to it in the next few days.

Originally posted by TFJR View Post
                            Looks like a great daily! I have a soft spot for auto 4 door '88's. Sharp looking ride!
                            You sound biased haha Thank you for the compliment

Originally posted by BlackbirdM3 View Post
                            The car looks good on the J stocks. Did you need to roll the fenders at all or did everything tuck up nicely?

I would start with the temp senders. Like other people have said, they are cheap. NAPA autoparts usually has them. They took all of 5 min to replace on my M3. Not sure how easy they are to get to on an M20. The ICV could be suspect, does it buzz with the key on, but the engine off? If not, likely an issue.

Will
                            Hey Will

They did a mini roll on the rear, but otherwise its stock and it doesnt rub. Im really digging it. Looks aggressive with the meaty tires, I cant wait to try it out to see how it handles the curves

No NAPA auto parts near me, and O'Reilly wants $30 for the sender, so I emailed bluntech as ECS Tuning shows a lot of options and only the Genuine BMW one is $26 and the rest are cheaper.

If it is the coolant sender, it still would be diagnosed as a fuel problem. Since that's what's telling the DME to shoot in more gas on a cold start.

You can just pop off the ICV, open the ignition and see if the vane moves.
                            Thanks Omar, I will try it out one of these days. Im a little busy until Sunday, though tomorrow night I might have a few hands available to help.

Originally posted by stonea View Post
                            I knew you wouldn't be gone long! As a fellow Cirrus Blau owner I have to ask... is the factory color coming back?
                            haha I never left! The fact that the original color is Cirrus Blau was a BIG selling point. It will go back to the factory color eventually, but for now Im rocking this Cirrusly Blue- Blue car

My E30 colors in order
                            '86 ES - Red
                            '84 M10 - White
                            '88 325i - Blue

Never question my patriotism
                            Simon
                            Current Cars:

Comment

I like the paint. Looks pretty clean

Comment

Really like the direction you're going with this, it looks like a great daily! Paint + Wheels + Suspension work really well together.

Comment

Working...
                                X