No announcement yet.

Dad's Datsun 510

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are you going to use E30 headlights on it?
    Simon
    Current Cars:
    -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Awesome !!
      Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
      The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

510 w/ e30 headlights - clicky click

Comment

speaking of bmw parts on a 510
          1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

Subscribed. I have always been a fan of the 510.
            How to remove, install or convert to pop out windows
            http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=297611

Could be better, could be worse.

Comment

Originally posted by wworm View Post
              That's is sick. M20 turbo for the win.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Comment

I have always been interested to see if the 510 grille could be made to fit on an E30. Any chance you could hold it up to the E30 and get some pics?
                How to remove, install or convert to pop out windows
                http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=297611

Could be better, could be worse.

Comment

I love the story about your dad 510.
                  I got to drive friends rally 510 years ago. It felt like go cart.
                  Projects Hartge,Alpina & AC Schnitzer Builds.http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=280601
                  http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=227993
                  http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=289362

DSC04926 by Raul Salinas, on FlickrDSC03413 by Raul Salinas, on Flickr

Comment

On a trip home from Spring Mountain Raceway in Nevada, Dad stopped in at BRE to get the car certified as a BRE tribute car. So awesome!

Back home and back to work. With paint and body in a good place, it was time to tackle the 18RG. The engine turned over smoothly, so we were hopeful it wouldn’t take a ton of effort get the thing to fire up. Below are a few reference photos I took of the engine before initial tear down.

First step was to completely go through the twin 40mm Mikunis that had definitely seen better days. The amount of fuel varnish in the bowls/jets was laughable, and we even found a few surprises as we disassembled and cleaned. Multiple hours of cleaning/rebuilding yielded impressive results.

Left is done, right is still to be cleaned and rebuilt. A bit hard to tell the difference based on this shot, but it's worlds better.

-NICK

Comment

awesome, i love 510's, i was actually looking for one before my e30, they were priced pretty high even 6 years ago. i ended up giving up when a friend offered to sell me his e30. sandstorm looks great btw!! I really like that toyota color!
                      89 325i 4dr s52
                      02 BMW 525iT m54b30/manual swapped (daily) *sold*
                      21' Toyota Tacoma TRD OR 4x4 6 speed Manual

Comment

Keep the updates coming buddy.
                        @IRON-E30 aka Edwin:D

Comment

Once the carbs were cleaned, we threw in some new NGK plugs, changed the oil/filter, and fired the car up for the first time in many years! Hearing the throatiness of the dual Mikunis and the rasp from the exhaust was beautiful to experience. I think we have a video somewhere of that first start which I will try to get uploaded…

Now that we knew it was a runner, it was time for more work to really move forward.

First we test fit some trumpets on the carbs for fun… This car will have foam air filters, but the open trumpets are just so damn cool. In these photos you can also see the simpler single outlet water neck that was from some type of 80s Toyota that aided in cleaning things up.

Next we took a look at the radiator setup. The 18RG has its radiator outlets on the opposite side as the factory 510 configuration, and the previous owner’s original swap radiator setup was full of garbage 90s parts store components. Perfect opportunities for upgrades.

After a bit of searching, we found an OEM VW radiator would fit the bill for the slightly awkward setup. The upper and lower hose were a combination of tubing/hoses that got the setup to be much more robust.

After a couple bends on some aluminum for brackets and a beauty cover, this was the result:

Now you might have noticed a bit of paint in the engine bay in those last few radiator photos. The entire bay was prepped, stich welded, and painted in body color tan and wow, did it make a huge difference.

Much more to come! :D

Last edited by Balleristic31; 08-29-2019, 04:45 PM.

-NICK

Comment

looking good!

-
                            Project
                            Parts for Sale
                            Feedback
                            YouTube Channel

Comment

that color is awesome. I think about this build every time i see a toyota with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Balleristic31 View Post

Now you might have noticed a bit of paint in the engine bay in those last few radiator photos. The entire bay was prepped and painted in body color tan and wow, did it make a huge difference.

It made a HUGE difference for me too, highly recommend it and glad you guys did it too
                                Simon
                                Current Cars:
                                -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Working...
                                X