No announcement yet.

86 eta 5.0 swap...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got what I feel is a great deal today. 60k 99 M3 rear diff, the front rotors/hubs/calipers/springs/struts, all for $600. I needed a dual ear diff cover and a limited slip anyways, so I'll be combining the M3 parts with the 3.46 open diff I've got in the garage. I've not done differential work before, so I've got a lot of studying up to do before I attempt it. So tomorrow I'll have the last parts I need for the 5 lug swap, that being the two control arms and offset bushings. I love that I'm finally able to buy all the parts I've needed for years.

Comment

M3 control arms and bushings are in!

Comment

Not a whole lot of news right now, but I did go pick up a replacement passenger fender yesterday, as well as a front plastic bumper and the mounts and sheet metal that goes in behind it.

Comment

Picked up a 4R70W this weekend.

Need to order a shift kit.
          Last edited by Elysian; 05-30-2017, 07:11 AM.

Comment

Looking good man !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I guess I forgot to mention I'm going auto for now

I am not too happy with the state of Borg Warner T5 pricing, hence the decision to go auto for the time being. The T5 is an okay transmission, but not great, if I'm spending so much on one I'll just spend a bit more and get a T56. Eventually I will swap to that.

I'll wind up controlling this transmission with a MicroSquirt, and interface it via the canbus to my Megasquirt.

Comment

Yeah. I was like. Whys he got a 4r70w. At least you got a plan tho. I need to get myself a t5 as well but prices are high in my area as well. I'm half tempted to just go m60/62 or m50/52 w/a turbo set up just cause of the spike in 5.0 availability.

Comment

The guy I bought the transmission from was originally going to put it and the engine it came on in his 01 or so Mustang Cobra... Guess he changed his mind, because he LS swapped the Cobra, it was insanely awesome.
                  Last edited by Elysian; 05-30-2017, 08:30 AM.

Comment

Just got back from vacation, got some Garagistic bits arriving tomorrow. I'm thinking I'll give the Geo Metro brake booster a try, and use the larger Kia master cylinder.

Sometime in the next week or two I plan on buying a welder, going to get a 230v Hobart MIG.

Comment

Got my welder, now to start practicing

Comment

Picked up the front half of the driveshaft.

Comment

Man this is so awesome. I will for sure put a v8 in my e30 so a 302 is definitely an option considering I'm a Ford Mustang fan. Good luck with the build man! If I go the 302 route expect me to be in your inbox lol

1986 325es(Possible race car?)
                          1987 325e (the show car)
                          1992 525it (the new daily)

Comment

The Geo Metro brake booster showed up today too.

The Kia brake master should be here Monday.

Comment

Got interesting today... I'm going to go look at a plastic bumper 325i that runs later today. I may wind up using that for this swap and parting out the eta.

Comment

I bought another E30

This one runs and drives though, it's the new swap candidate. It's an 88. This one is an auto with the 4.10 limited slip diff. Pics from the CL ad:

For $750, I couldn't pass it up. I'll part out the drivetrain when I'm ready, until then I'll drive it. Funny thing is I already have a red front plastic bumper, so I'll just put that on there.

Comment

Working...
                                X