89 325i no start no lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

89 325i no start no lights

I just finished rebuilding the m20b25 in my 89 e30. My battery needs replacement, I know itÂ’s on itÂ’s last leg and IÂ’ve been trickle charging it to start the car and drive it around the block for the last few days.

The other morning I turned the key and no click, no start. 12.5 v at the battery. Not worried too much, thinking it was not enough juice, I tried to charge it a bit more. During this time it disassembled the tach to tighten the grounds on my flakey gas and temp gauges. Put it all back together, attached the battery, (12.5v) and still no crank.

Noticed the backlit bulbs turn on but no check engine, or row of lit ones at the bottom. No hvac. I have turn signals but no headlights or hibeams. No power windows.

I jumped 11/14 and the starter cranked. Tried this again with the key in the on position, but no start, just crank. So, ignition switch? I tried to test between 1/15 on the coil and the ohms said 1.5? (IÂ’m probably doing that wrong). About to get a new battery because I know itÂ’s time but because it cranked it is probably not the issue, right?

Thanks for any suggestions, happy Halloween.:devil:

When you guys turn the key to the accessories, (not start but halfway) shouldn't the headlights and high beams be able to turn on?

Comment

new battery. The key doesn't feel like its advancing as it should, and there is no spring-back to it.

Comment

ok Not all at once now... ignition switch removed from tumbler, manually turned gets the car started. It even springs back a bit. But that action/sensation does not happen with the switch attached. Just feels like a single click. The plastic doesn’t look worn out. The key inserted and turned makes the little bow tie shaped metal protrude out and turn 90 degrees. It looks separately like they should work, but together they don’t.
        Last edited by fahr'n fahr'n fahr'n; 11-04-2018, 06:01 PM.

Comment

Jeez, sorry for the huge photos. I took out the tumbler with a dental tool. The plastic piece on top of the images seems to be the issue. When depressed, the tumbler only goes to first position. First pic is key inserted, second pic is 'first position,' or as far as it will go. When the plastic is sticking out, the key will travel farther as shown in third pic. Does anyone know if inserting the key should disengage that plastic? It looks like ill be going to the dealership to replace the tumbler...

Comment

Working...
          X