No announcement yet.

K24 e30

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As far as oiling issues: I'm running a modded oil pump and I will be building a trap door pan. Nobody else running a longitudinal K motor, with a well built pan, has had any issues with oiling. The valve train is oiled through the hollow cams and I'm leaning it over in the same way it is from the factory. As long as the pickup screen is angled correctly and is the proper distance off the floor of the pan the engine doesn't care which way it is facing
    $4000 worth of wheels to look cool in a parking lot? What the hell is wrong with him? - My old boss

Comment

Originally posted by Slowgti View Post
      As far as oiling issues: I'm running a modded oil pump and I will be building a trap door pan. Nobody else running a longitudinal K motor, with a well built pan, has had any issues with oiling. The valve train is oiled through the hollow cams and I'm leaning it over in the same way it is from the factory. As long as the pickup screen is angled correctly and is the proper distance off the floor of the pan the engine doesn't care which way it is facing
      What about oil draining back to the pick up?
      ///Monstrosity. (OO≡≡[][]≡≡OO)

Aside from showing yourself to be offensive, lacking experience and ignorant in the ways of business, you're also illiterate and imprudent. Beyond that, your sense of liability is severely impaired.

Comment

Originally posted by Doughnut View Post
        What about oil draining back to the pick up?
        The factory oil drains are within 2-3" of the pump pickup.
        $4000 worth of wheels to look cool in a parking lot? What the hell is wrong with him? - My old boss

Comment

I got to thinking deeper, are you going to chop and flip the manifold, or some other solution?

Comment

Originally posted by Farbin Kaiber View Post
            I got to thinking deeper, are you going to chop and flip the manifold, or some other solution?
            I'm building a custom sheet metal intake. Big plenum and centrally mounted t-body. Started building some chassis bracing yesterday afternoon, doubling the sheet metal around the door and window openings.

Comment

Originally posted by Slowgti View Post
              As far as oiling issues: I'm running a modded oil pump and I will be building a trap door pan. Nobody else running a longitudinal K motor, with a well built pan, has had any issues with oiling.
              When you were talking KA engine, I was thinking KA24DE (ie. Nissan) seeing as you bought the car set up for an SR20, and used a Z32 gearbox. These came as longitudinal engines in the 240SX, Navara Pickup etc. so the oiling question seemed weird... then I checked the pics and obviously it's the Honda K series engine :)

Cool project.
              My e30: OEM+ with M30B35

Comment

This is badass. I want to see where this ends up.
                1991 318i SOLD
                2003 325i SOLD

Racecars and stuff.

Comment

There are some custom intake manifolds geared towards doing the swap in an S2000, but they're around $750+, as they're welded aluminum. Just looking over the different manifolds (RBB, RBC) out there, it seems that flow is really optimized in the plenum/runners for the TB to be in the "wrong" orientation.

I think the cheapest solution will be to stick on an F20C intake manifold ($100) with an adapter plate (cost of cutting 1/2" aluminum plate and getting gaskets).

Originally posted by whysimon
                  WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

I have a tig, a mig, a lathe, sheet metal break and a plate roller at my home shop. The f20c manifold doesn't flow that well on the 2.0 let alone a 2.4. I have sketched up a head flange I need to drop off and get milled. More things on the list to do

Comment

Yup, the F20C manifold definitely does not flow. Coupled with a RBB head it's probably OK.

Once you get into the game of optimizing flow/performance then the F20C manifold should pretty much be tossed in the garbage, but for a first pass to get a swap going, it is a cheap and easy way to go, especially on a bone stock K24A2, at least in my estimation.

Comment

Originally posted by FredK View Post
                        Yup, the F20C manifold definitely does not flow. Coupled with a RBB head it's probably OK.

Once you get into the game of optimizing flow/performance then the F20C manifold should pretty much be tossed in the garbage, but for a first pass to get a swap going, it is a cheap and easy way to go, especially on a bone stock K24A2, at least in my estimation.
                        I don't see the point of starting with something I know isn't up to par, I would rather focus my efforts on something I know works. This is a long term project for me, I'm in no rush to get it running next week.

Do it once, do it right.

Comment

I agree. I'm just uncertain if an F20C manifold is absolutely positively not worth considering. For me, fabbing a manifold would take a couple years given how slowly I work, and it'd probably either look like crap or cost an arm and a leg. Haha.

Comment

Just thinking out loud : thinking about ditching the k24 and doing a vq35. Anyone have an opinion on this?

Comment

vq engines are pretty cool. It would definitely be different!

Turbo M42 Build Thread :Here
                              Ig:ryno_pzk
                              I like the tuna here.
                              Originally posted by lambo
                              Buttchug. The official poster child of r3v.

Comment

I'm not so sure it'd be a stellar move. I put a VG30 in a Miata once, and there was not much room. A VG30 is substantially smaller than a VQ35 from the size of the heads. If you're planning on tracking the car, I can't imagine that'd be a good move. I'd far rather have a K24XX in an E30 than a minivan motor. The K24 would be featherweight, and rev to the moon.
                                1991 318i SOLD
                                2003 325i SOLD

Racecars and stuff.

Comment

Working...
                                X