Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

homebuying fun (caution: stupidly wide .jpg)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks to me like a branch went through there.

Comment

Originally posted by AWDBOB View Post
      Almost two years into my first home- year one consisted of replacing the garage roof which had just passed three worthless inspections. Halfway through yr two, I caught this out of the corner of my eye when mowing today. It's a bit of a mystery. Popped nail, rotted wood, I'm assuming the shingles just ripped off and there wasn't anything but rot underneath it.
      Concur with the above, the shingles won't do that even with extreme wind. Those 3 tabs are also clearly way past the end of their life expectancy coming apart in chunks as they are. Probably some type of animal entry or exit, although they don't usually make large holes like that. Could also be a branch, or even a freak falling object.

They also look like they might be a CertainTeed XT-25 Black, which should be a bit shiny, you can confirm the manufacturer by looking at the plastic release strip on the back of the shingle (if modern enough CertainTeed it will say the roofing collection under a little logo).

To fix that hole you'll want to either pull off a bunch of shingles and replace the wood, or remove 6-9 shingles and put some aluminum flashing down to cover the hole, then felt underlayment (lapped over the non-exposed section of the lower shingle, and tucked under the upper shingle as far as you can go), and then shingles. Be sure to reseal any shingles where you have to break the seal strip.

Also, you could do with replacing those pipe flashings as well, but I wouldn't personally use a metal B vent style (if that's what was meant above) as they are not usually available in anything other than galvanized steel, but rather any aluminum flashing with a neoprene collar (usually called a 3-1 pipe flashing or pipe jack/boot), and I wouldn't seal around the pipe/collar interface as has been done at present.

PM if you want more info to DIY, I work in the roofing industry so I should be able to help.

I was also working on a project tonight on the place I got a month and change ago. Taking out a couple of walls and enlarging the upstairs stairwell access. Leaving a couple of stud sets in place until I build the header setup. I also discovered that all of the wood paneling that's up over the drywall was glued and nailed, so I guess I'll be re-sheeting half of the downstairs, yay.

Comment

I hate that fake wood paneling. Stupidest fad that ever was in home design. I used to do Residential Contracting full time, pulling wood paneling and spackling/painting for a much cleaner look is pretty common on the houses around here that are older than 1980. Most often the area behind the seams was spray painted black or brown to hide the seam. One time we pulled the paneling down and the installers had spray painted a huge vagina on the wall before installing the paneling. The homeowner was a psychologist and we asked him if there were hidden means behind it. His response: "Everyone likes p*ssy".

Comment

Originally posted by mbonder View Post
          I hate that fake wood paneling. Stupidest fad that ever was in home design. I used to do Residential Contracting full time, pulling wood paneling and spackling/painting for a much cleaner look is pretty common on the houses around here that are older than 1980. Most often the area behind the seams was spray painted black or brown to hide the seam. One time we pulled the paneling down and the installers had spray painted a huge vagina on the wall before installing the paneling. The homeowner was a psychologist and we asked him if there were hidden means behind it. His response: "Everyone likes p*ssy".
          I hate wood paneling with a passion. My basement was full of the shit and I just got done ripping most of it out to put up drywall. I didn't get to find any rad artwork on the walls, but the next person that rips down this drywall is going to find a 34 foot long cock and balls. The post war rambler boom here was responsible for a lot of questionable design choices, so a massive dong isn't going to be any worse than the shitpiss puke green/gold/brown tile that is hiding under the carpet down there.
          Follow us on Facebook and Instagram

On qualified parts... email me at dealindave@blunttech.com

Comment

Nice!

Comment

Originally posted by bradmer View Post

AWDBOB do you have a tree where critters can access the rooftop? Looks like something wanted in there, even those 3 tab shingles don't just rip away like that no matter how old. A popped nail through the shingle could definitely start that, but you have something else going on there. If that were a wind event your shingles would be in your neighbor's yard.
              Next time consider installing FHA style galvanized flashing's, they will out last you for about the same price. I have rain gutter envy...good luck.
              Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post
              Concur with the above, the shingles won't do that even with extreme wind. Those 3 tabs are also clearly way past the end of their life expectancy coming apart in chunks as they are. Probably some type of animal entry or exit, although they don't usually make large holes like that. Could also be a branch, or even a freak falling object.

They also look like they might be a CertainTeed XT-25 Black, which should be a bit shiny, you can confirm the manufacturer by looking at the plastic release strip on the back of the shingle (if modern enough CertainTeed it will say the roofing collection under a little logo).

To fix that hole you'll want to either pull off a bunch of shingles and replace the wood, or remove 6-9 shingles and put some aluminum flashing down to cover the hole, then felt underlayment (lapped over the non-exposed section of the lower shingle, and tucked under the upper shingle as far as you can go), and then shingles. Be sure to reseal any shingles where you have to break the seal strip.

Also, you could do with replacing those pipe flashings as well, but I wouldn't personally use a metal B vent style (if that's what was meant above) as they are not usually available in anything other than galvanized steel, but rather any aluminum flashing with a neoprene collar (usually called a 3-1 pipe flashing or pipe jack/boot), and I wouldn't seal around the pipe/collar interface as has been done at present.

PM if you want more info to DIY, I work in the roofing industry so I should be able to help.
              Thank you both for the info/thoughts! I actually don't have a tree close (which is how the gutters stay clean aside from granules). I also don't have much of an animal problem here, and was just up in the attic wiring cameras a few weeks before this happened and saw no evidence of a critter. Needless to say, I am stumped- I'm hoping insurance comes through, as there is evidence of both hail and wind damage on other parts of the roof. I'm keeping my fingers crossed, despite that I still don't know what could've caused it.

And yes, that shingle was popped there- you can see the nails on the rafter and the bit of rot underneath it. This roof is pretty far gone. I just got done replacing the roof on my garage myself- this is my first home and don't have anyone close by who knows about this stuff, so I am learning as I go. Unfortunately I now know not to trust the inspector stamp of approval next time.

I'm happy with the way the garage roof turned out, but don't have the time or team to tackle the house roof by myself, as it needs some rebracing (sagging rafter), flashings, etc that I'm not quite comfortable with yet.

image3 (2) by Bobbie Morrone, on Flickr
              image4 (1) by Bobbie Morrone, on Flickr
              image1 (8) by Bobbie Morrone, on Flickr
              1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
              1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by MrBurgundy View Post
                Simon, go to habitat for humanity and check out their inventory.
                I just for $1000 worth of commercial carpet for $100 at my local habitat . It's going in my "lab" - the stuff is that high traffic, 24" x 24" - so big squares for a 12x15 room that has to deal with the odd dremeling of plastic, laser cutting smells and 3d printing.
                Originally posted by Matt-B
                hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

Before the closet addition we are re-siding the house.

Moving to cement board with smart trim. ~40% done.

Untitled by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

Those red things attached to the verticals are called pump jacks. You lay a board between the two and then use your foot to pump them up the verticals.
                  My previous build (currently E30-less)
                  http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170390

A 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad in Inferno is my newest obsession

Comment

Power to the garage: “Day 2”

So now we have the power properly routed from the box into the garage. We patched up the wall, just need to clean that up, but we’re officially IN the garage. There’s some issues with the garage door itself and I need to sort those out before we finish this off. Pretty stoked how it’s coming together
                    Simon
                    Current Cars:
                    -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

^Awesome. I'm jealous you have room in your panel.

Our house was built in the mid 60's and had an old fuse panel. House had 2 major reno's/additions back in the 80's. So what did they do? Add 1 breaker panel for the first one and one breaker panel for the second... :( All in different places!!!
                      "A good memory for quotes combined with a poor memory for attribution can lead to a false sense of originality."
                      -----------------------------------------
                      91 318is Turbo Sold
                      87 325 Daily driver Sold
                      06 4.8is X5
                      06 Mtec X3
                      05 4.4i X5 Sold
                      92 325ic Sold & Re-purchased
                      90 325i Sold
                      97 328is Sold
                      01 323ci Sold
                      92 325i Sold
                      83 528e Totaled
                      98 328i Sold
                      93 325i Sold

Comment

That's fairly typical from what I've seen.

Comment

Never realized we had a house thread on here. Anyways just got our first home not to long ago. It was my grandparents house for the past 16 years but pap passed and my family asked if I wanted to purchase it at the accessed value. I went for it and finally got it. Built in 1926, fairly familiar with the house so not really walking into any surprises. One pain about getting it was that FEMA had it in a flood zone. This place has never flooded to our knowledge even at the worst one in 1996 the house didn't get touched. So I had a elevation survey done and then had to get a Letter Of Map Amendment. So I'm out of the flood zone but the lower part of the yard is still in it. No worries to me cause nothing will be built that low anyways.

The garage is a bit useless for one. It might as well be a big shed. Dirt floor and has a bunch of water coming out of it when it is very wet out. We think there maybe a spring in the hill behind it somewhere. In later years I'll most likely build a 2.5 car garage off to the side of the house.

Sitting on a .75 acre lot. Has a small creek out front with a little bridge to cross. There is not much work to be done to the house. Some of the plaster needs fixed and would like to redo the upstairs bathroom. Plus I'll have a bit of paiting to do in the spring to the outside of the house.

Dont have many pictures, but did get a picture of the first snowfall of the season.

1992 BMW 325iC
                          1978 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
                          1965 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 140hp

Comment

nice house!
                            1990 325is
                            m52b28
                            3.73lsd
                            g260 (1987 325is 5spd tranny)

Comment

very cool. congrats! looks quite nice
                              Simon
                              Current Cars:
                              -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

That's awesome! Super cool the house gets to stay in the family!
                                Need parts now? Need them cheap? steve@blunttech.com
                                Chief Sales Officer, Midwest Division—Blunt Tech Industries

www.gutenparts.com
                                One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

Comment

Working...
                                X