PO dyed entire interior, seats starting to fade need advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PO dyed entire interior, seats starting to fade need advice

When I purchased the car previous owner told me that the person he bought the car from, had the entire interior reupholstered, front & back seats & all door cards It looked great in person brand new even. I’m and idiot for not inspecting the seats. Anyway whoever dyed the interior white did it over the original aged lotus white leather. I went in on the bolsters and sort of separated them and realized right away that they were dyed. I’ll upload some pictures to show the color difference. The original lotus white leather on mtechnics tends to darken and appear grey over the years and next to the white dye its wayyyyy off. The bottoms of my white seats look as if the leather was peeling but it’s not it’s just the dye wearing off and revealing the original darker color on bottom. The leather itself is in really good shape, there are no cracks whatsoever. I’d hate to have my entire interior redone & I at the moment can’t afford an entire upholstery job. I was wondering if I there’s a way to remove the dye without damaging the leather? Am I better of touching them up? Is there a product out there to sort of seal and protect the dye from wearing off? I honestly prefer the gray interior over the white ( it’s a beoooch to keep clean). Attached are pictures of the interior when I first got it I’ll snap a couple pictures of the drivers worn seat bottom shortly
    Attached Files
    - 92’ BMW 325i Vert MT2 S770A Appearance Package
    - 96’ Toyota Tacoma single cab 4x4 2.7L [DD]
    - 01’ Honda Shadow VLX 600 Custom Bobber
    IG| Eddiiemeister

You're gonna want to look into leatherique (spell check) dye. It's probably what was originally used on them.
    @IRON-E30 aka Edwin:D

Comment

Originally posted by IRON-E View Post
      You're gonna want to look into leatherique (spell check) dye. It's probably what was originally used on them.
      Would you advice against stripping the dye?
      IG| Eddiiemeister

Comment

Bump.

I suspect that if the previous owner did use leatherique to dye the seats, he did not apply the Klear Kote to protect them. They appear dull and not shinny or glossy
        IG| Eddiiemeister

Comment

I'd try acetone to remove it all. These "dye" kits are nothing but paint will will wear off over time to matter what you do.

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewBird View Post
            I'd try acetone to remove it all. These "dye" kits are nothing but paint will will wear off over time to matter what you do.
            Not even the Klear Kote can prevent them from wearing the dye or paint off?
            IG| Eddiiemeister

Comment

I did a leatherique on my cabrio (until I reupholstered) and it looked ok for 2-3 years then I did some touch up. I also took Leatherique George's advice and gave it all a coat of car wax.

I did do the full treatment to redye and it was way more work than I would ever do again.
              Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
              Alice the Time Capsule
              http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
              87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

I used Leatherique when I re-did the interior of my E24 M6 and to say it was a lot of work is an understatement. The process of stripping, cleaning, dyeing, clear coating is very time intensive. If I were to undertake this project again I would just buy a white upholstery kit and recover the front and back seats myself in new vat dyed leather.

I did a set of sport seats using Lseat.coms kit and was very happy. A reasonable cost if you can recover them yourself.

Buy BMW leather seat covers, BMW custom leather interior from Lseat.com. Great price great quality. Keep your BMW leather interior brand new.

Buy BMW leather seat covers, BMW custom leather interior from Lseat.com. Great price great quality. Keep your BMW leather interior brand new.
                1986 E30 325E
                1989 E30 325iX
                2003 E54 X5.
                1993 Mercedes W124 300E
                1995 Mercedes W124 E320.
                2009 VW Touareg
                2007 Porsche Cayman S

Comment

Originally posted by MSGGrunt View Post
                  I used Leatherique when I re-did the interior of my E24 M6 and to say it was a lot of work is an understatement. The process of stripping, cleaning, dyeing, clear coating is very time intensive. If I were to undertake this project again I would just buy a white upholstery kit and recover the front and back seats myself in new vat dyed leather.

I did a set of sport seats using Lseat.coms kit and was very happy. A reasonable cost if you can recover them yourself.

https://www.lseat.com/categories/gen...ather/bmw.html
                  I was actually just looking at a thread that talks about these seat covers I think I’ll eventually end up buying these covers I really don’t want to go through the trouble of dying the seats all over again, and touch ups are just going to temporarily remedy the problem
                  IG| Eddiiemeister

Comment

Originally posted by Eddiemeister View Post
                    I was actually just looking at a thread that talks about these seat covers I think I’ll eventually end up buying these covers I really don’t want to go through the trouble of dying the seats all over again, and touch ups are just going to temporarily remedy the problem
                    Shoot them an email and see if you they can get a whiter white than they offer. So install and price is not so bad as long as you have the right tools.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Eddiemeister View Post
                      Not even the Klear Kote can prevent them from wearing the dye or paint off?
                      The klear kote is just more paint, so...

Comment

Working...
                      X