R3v halp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Metallated View Post
    Is ring + new wheels an option? Car could look clean with 16s and a buff and wax.
    We had a deal where if I went 1 year without buying or selling any cars she would buy me any wheels I wanted. I failed :(

Originally posted by Schnitzer318is View Post
    Definitely get A ring. But prioritize it with what [B]she[B] would want. A more expensive ring isn't going to make you skinnier or your junk any bigger. Expensive jewelry is a huge waste of money, unless it's an enthusiast thing, ie; she's into jewelry, much the same as cars are a waste of money/time for most people.
    I know what style she wants (halo w/white gold band), but other than that she doesn't really care as long as it's not Walmart quality. That being said, i'm not going to go the super cheap route either. I'm figuring anywhere in the $2800-3500 would make me feel good about the purchase.

Originally posted by TheWipprSnappr View Post
    I vote ring. She might be so happy she offers to pay for the paint job or AR in return :)
    Originally posted by IceWhite View Post
    Get the Ring!!
    Getting a lot more votes for this than I'd anticipated..

Originally posted by kickinindian View Post
    I had a custom ring made on etsy from a hobbyist ring maker for cheap and also personalized with our initials, let me pick the stone and everything!

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
    I think I'm going to purchase from somewhere with a nearby physical location, in the even warranty work or something is needed. I buy everything else online, but this feels like something I want to make sure I get from a reputable person I can go back to if needed.

Originally posted by rturbo 930 View Post
    If you do anything but option 1, you need to get your head checked.
    Ain't nobody ever accused me of being smart :D

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
    I dunno guys... the E30 does look pretty bad.

I think we need more pics of your girl :rofl:
    Originally posted by FredK View Post
    I vote for option 4, adopt another cat.

Raising the cat together will forge a lasting bond that a trinket worn on your finger can't possibly duplicate.
    We've already got 3 cats (I don't even like cats all that much), and I owe her a Newfoundland when we buy a house.. No mas cats.

Originally posted by z31maniac View Post
    This isn't 1953 son.

He needs to live with this woman for at least a year before doing anything like buying a ring. Staying over, however often, is completely different to actually living with someone.
    I lived with my two exes, of which I dated for 5 years and 4 years respectively. This one is over 3 years, and we lived together for 5 months before she moved 1.5 hrs away for school (after graduating with her bachelors), and again for 2 months when she did a rotation here, and she's moving back in for good in 3 days. This is as sure of a bet as I'll ever have, and I'm not getting any younger either lol

I'm 29 for a couple more months, she just turned 24.

Good point. My wife and I lived together for 4-5 years before getting married.
    I lived with an ex for 4 years and us splitting up was the best thing that ever happened to me, although that relationship was on the rocks for about 3 years.
    2007 Range Rover Sport S/C

Comment

I feel old.
      "A good memory for quotes combined with a poor memory for attribution can lead to a false sense of originality."
      -----------------------------------------
      91 318is Turbo Sold
      87 325 Daily driver Sold
      06 4.8is X5
      06 Mtec X3
      05 4.4i X5 Sold
      92 325ic Sold & Re-purchased
      90 325i Sold
      97 328is Sold
      01 323ci Sold
      92 325i Sold
      83 528e Totaled
      98 328i Sold
      93 325i Sold

Comment

I spent WAY too much money on a ring in April of '17, got married about 2 months ago - looking back, I probably should have got a cheaper ring, but I don't regret anything.

Cars are neat, guns are fun, but a ring will do a lot more for you than a gun or a car...unless you're trying to chase/evade and shoot bad guys - then you'll want the car and gun.

Current Car: 2011 BMW 135i, M-Sport, 6 speed

Originally posted by lambo
        Sounds like you need a massage.
        Originally posted by kpeng
        Who the hell is Vlad?

Comment

I feel old.
          Would it help if I mentioned that my knees and back crack any time I sit for more than 30 minutes?

Originally posted by Joe G View Post
          I spent WAY too much money on a ring in April of '17, got married about 2 months ago - looking back, I probably should have got a cheaper ring, but I don't regret anything.

Cars are neat, guns are fun, but a ring will do a lot more for you than a gun or a car...unless you're trying to chase/evade and shoot bad guys - then you'll want the car and gun.
          Yeah I feel like I'd be in the same boat, wouldn't really regret spending too much in this case. I don't buy some of the online BS about spending 3x your monthly income, etc etc. That's insanity.

Comment

I voted pew pew. Rob bank, liquor store, Kroger with said pew pew and have money for both ring and paint.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mike36 View Post
              I voted pew pew. Rob bank, liquor store, Kroger with said pew pew and have money for both ring and paint.
              Now here's the advice I came to R3V for!

For a second there I was thinking everyone started adulting here...

Comment

OK you have some options for a ring..... Is she a practial kinda girl or is she going to get hung up on not being from the Jews at DeBeers??? If shes the latter ignore me

Look into moissanite.... A good one looks as good or better than most high quality diamonds that are out out of your price range even in 1/2 cart stone alone. its also composed of mostly crystalline carbon and silicon its just a hard and durable as a diamond. You can get a much bigger and prettier stone for peanuts compared to what the Debeers Cartel will charge you, you can put your money into the setting that way which will never lose its value in metal weights. My wife INSISTED on getting one Vs a Diamond so she has massive 2.1x Carat round Solitaire that was less than 900 bucks, and set in 4mm heavy platinum setting. IIRC I paid less than 2600 all in, and if we were to have done it in White gold it would have been about 1/2 or touch less all in than your low budgeted number... She gets complimented on it a lot....

Also make sure you really research your setting, as you want a solid setting, not a hollow one, AkA on the inner face has a lot of metal not cast into it and fairly sharp transitional edges, you want a "comfort setting" as they are generally solid and are very well finished on the inside, and just feel much better to wear every day all day. Look into this type of Band as well for your self if she says yes ;)

Oh and thats a BIG cat....
                Originally posted by Fusion
                If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
                The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
                William Pitt-

Comment

Originally posted by mrsleeve View Post
                  OK you have some options for a ring..... Is she a practial kinda girl or is she going to get hung up on not being from the Jews at DeBeers??? If shes the latter ignore me

Look into moissanite.... A good one looks as good or better than most high quality diamonds that are out out of your price range even in 1/2 cart stone alone. its also composed of mostly crystalline carbon and silicon its just a hard and durable as a diamond. You can get a much bigger and prettier stone for peanuts compared to what the Debeers Cartel will charge you, you can put your money into the setting that way which will never lose its value in metal weights. My wife INSISTED on getting one Vs a Diamond so she has massive 2.1x Carat round Solitaire that was less than 900 bucks, and set in 4mm heavy platinum setting. IIRC I paid less than 2600 all in, and if we were to have done it in White gold it would have been about 1/2 or touch less all in than your low budgeted number... She gets complimented on it a lot....

Also make sure you really research your setting, as you want a solid setting, not a hollow one, AkA on the inner face has a lot of metal not cast into it and fairly sharp transitional edges, you want a "comfort setting" as they are generally solid and are very well finished on the inside, and just feel much better to wear every day all day. Look into this type of Band as well for your self if she says yes ;)

Oh and thats a BIG cat....
                  I don't think she's at all going to be caught up on brand name, cost etc... I think she'd be happy with just about anything that's got a round diamond in the center, halo style. Money/cost is not an issue for her honestly, her parents are well off, she's about to start a job making nearly 3x what I do per year, she just wants to get engaged..

I'll have to do a little more research, my first reaction is to simply go for a diamond before anything else.

It can't be too big, because she's pretty small herself at 5'2.5, 120lbs and doesn't want it to look overly gaudy (no gold or rose gold band), and she has to be able to wear latex gloves at work because she's in a hospital working with anesthesia and patients.

Petey the cat isn't small by any means, his but his eyes make him look larger I think :D

Comment

Well FYI Diamonds are only considered the "engagement" stone and are forever is because of MARKETING from the 1st half of the 1900's and the Diamond is forever thing came from the late 40s. ONE the BEST MARKETING CAMPAIGN'S EVER!!!!!! Debeers has total control of the gem diamond market and there by controlling the pricing.

Just a fyi is all..... and yes I agree you dont want to go to big, as my wife mostly just wears her band and only wears her moissanite when she needs to, or when its appropriate
                    If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
                    The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
                    William Pitt-

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan... View Post
                      Would it help if I mentioned that my knees and back crack any time I sit for more than 30 minutes?
                      Nope. :) I had back surgery last November and am having an MRI Friday so the surgeon can determine whether or not I need another.

Sounds like you are spending for your own personal satisfaction. Which is, of course fine, but you might want to be a little more practical and ask her if she would rather that money go towards something else.

It's hard for me to understand jewelry spending because my wife and I don't wear any. My wife insisted on a sapphire wedding ring that was small and inexpensive with titanium (I think that's what it was, I know she wanted it silver) band. We almost NEVER wear ours. Only when we go out of town. Even at fancy functions... almost never wear them.

So, maybe now that I think about it... I should just stop giving advice on the subject and let you do you. LOL. But Sleeve is mostly right. DeBeers supplies a large portion of diamonds (35% from a quick Google search) and has helped to cultivate the "value" that people put into wearing a diamond for the last 100+ years. Fortunately, the market has gotten better with much more competition. But at the end of the day... it's a rock.
                      "A good memory for quotes combined with a poor memory for attribution can lead to a false sense of originality."
                      -----------------------------------------
                      91 318is Turbo Sold
                      87 325 Daily driver Sold
                      06 4.8is X5
                      06 Mtec X3
                      05 4.4i X5 Sold
                      92 325ic Sold & Re-purchased
                      90 325i Sold
                      97 328is Sold
                      01 323ci Sold
                      92 325i Sold
                      83 528e Totaled
                      98 328i Sold
                      93 325i Sold

Comment

exactly my wife hates diamonds, says they are bland and boring so we went with a ruby stone and a twin leaf with initials on each leaf. It was too cheap i felt guilty, but my wife loves it and sold her first one that was 10x as expensive

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan... View Post
                          I don't think she's at all going to be caught up on brand name, cost etc... I think she'd be happy with just about anything that's got a round diamond in the center, halo style. Money/cost is not an issue for her honestly, her parents are well off, she's about to start a job making nearly 3x what I do per year, she just wants to get engaged..

I'll have to do a little more research, my first reaction is to simply go for a diamond before anything else.

It can't be too big, because she's pretty small herself at 5'2.5, 120lbs and doesn't want it to look overly gaudy (no gold or rose gold band), and she has to be able to wear latex gloves at work because she's in a hospital working with anesthesia and patients.

Petey the cat isn't small by any means, his but his eyes make him look larger I think :D

Buy a cheap ring and start saving that other money for a downpayment on a house.

Anytime my girlfriend starts to get antsy about getting a ring, I ask her, "Do you like living in this nice house I bought us and pay for?"

:devil:
                          Need parts now? Need them cheap? steve@blunttech.com
                          Chief Sales Officer, Midwest Division—Blunt Tech Industries

www.gutenparts.com
                          One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

Comment

Originally posted by mrsleeve View Post
                            Well FYI Diamonds are only considered the "engagement" stone and are forever is because of MARKETING from the 1st half of the 1900's and the Diamond is forever thing came from the late 40s. ONE the BEST MARKETING CAMPAIGN'S EVER!!!!!! Debeers has total control of the gem diamond market and there by controlling the pricing.

Just a fyi is all..... and yes I agree you dont want to go to big, as my wife mostly just wears her band and only wears her moissanite when she needs to, or when its appropriate
                            It's just going to take me a little bit to get over the idea that I don't *have* to buy a diamond. I'll admit that I'm pretty susceptible to marketing :D

Nope. :) I had back surgery last November and am having an MRI Friday so the surgeon can determine whether or not I need another.

Sounds like you are spending for your own personal satisfaction. Which is, of course fine, but you might want to be a little more practical and ask her if she would rather that money go towards something else.

It's hard for me to understand jewelry spending because my wife and I don't wear any. My wife insisted on a sapphire wedding ring that was small and inexpensive with titanium (I think that's what it was, I know she wanted it silver) band. We almost NEVER wear ours. Only when we go out of town. Even at fancy functions... almost never wear them.

So, maybe now that I think about it... I should just stop giving advice on the subject and let you do you. LOL. But Sleeve is mostly right. DeBeers supplies a large portion of diamonds (35% from a quick Google search) and has helped to cultivate the "value" that people put into wearing a diamond for the last 100+ years. Fortunately, the market has gotten better with much more competition. But at the end of the day... it's a rock.
                            I would straight up ask her, but she's let it be known that she does want this to be a surprise, and has only given me small hints like style and her lack of care over price. She also wants me to plan something small so it's at least a memorable event/day for her, unlike some of her friends who got proposed to in their apartment kitchen, etc.. I'm fine with that, because she's about as low maintenance everywhere else in our relationship, and she deserves that.

I can always go to her mom who has basically been begging to help..

For myself, I likely will be getting some cheap ring that will be worn outside work. Last thing I want at work is for some punk to know i'm married and decide to try to use that against me.

*sorry to hear about your medical woes, back issues are probably my biggest fear. I talk to a lot of retired cops (family included), and it's rarely anything other than back issues that they complain about.

Originally posted by z31maniac View Post
                            Buy a cheap ring and start saving that other money for a downpayment on a house.

Anytime my girlfriend starts to get antsy about getting a ring, I ask her, "Do you like living in this nice house I bought us and pay for?"

:devil:
                            In my case, she knows I live rent free as part of my 2nd job managing the building so I can't really use that against her :D Not to mention, starting February of next year she'll be making significantly more money than I, so she'll probably be the one asking me those questions :rofl:

Comment

HA! Nothing wrong with that! There was a long time my ex-wife made more than me.

I don't understand guys who are emasculated by that.
                              Need parts now? Need them cheap? steve@blunttech.com
                              Chief Sales Officer, Midwest Division—Blunt Tech Industries

www.gutenparts.com
                              One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

Comment

Be careful going with a corundum, Ruby/sapphires.. also very hard durable stones... but buying from the mall / chain like places, most all those stones are going to lab created stones.... NOT WORTH PUTTING YOUR MONEY INTO. yes they are nearly perfect and look great but they are not the natural stone. A REAL ruby from Burma will carry a greater price in the market than most all but the finest quality diamonds. And Burmese pigeons blood ruby is not very translucent.. Some of the better natural sapphires of all colors come out of a few places in Montana and a will run you about 900 a carat give or take for a pretty good one

My mom practically raised me in a jewelry store and we are still going through her lifes collection and she passed away 2 years ago

William Pitt-

Comment

Working...
                                X