No charge from alternator help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No charge from alternator help

I posted this in the car electronics subforum, but didn't get a response.
    A couple weeks ago my 88's battery died after replacing my A/C belt. It turned out that my alternator belt was loose, so I tightened it and charged the battery, but the problem remains.
    Im not sure if it is a coincidence that this happened, or this set something off. I have no charge from the alternator and no battery light whatsoever on the cluster.
    Here is what I've found
    Exciter wire at alternator: 1.5v (I assume this is a result of some continuty between the power and exciter wire on the alternator because this remains even when the exciter wire is removed)
    Pin 16 (blue wire) at blue connector on cluster (C1): 1.5v
    Pin 14 (green wire) at blue connector on cluster(C1): no voltage
    Pin 12 at diagnostic connector: 12.5v (huh?)
    Pin 2 at distribution box connector (C200): 12.5v

What's confusing me is that there is power at the diagnostic connector but not at the connector in the cluster.. Doesn't it have to go through that first??
    I also attempted to give the exciter direct power and this turned on the battery light only when the key was off, but once the key was on, the light was gone and there was still no charging once the car was started.
    BTW I replaced the alternator right after this problem began with one I had laying around off a blown motor (not 100% sure if it's functioning).
    I'm a little bit stuck at this point!! Whoever has the knowlege to tell me why there's no voltage at C1, but voltage at the diagnostic plug, you're input is greatly appreciated!
    Thank you!

confirm continuity between
    Pin 2 C200 to Pin 14 C1.
    and
    Pin 16 C1 to Pin 1 C101.

If they are good your cluster may have issues or your issue lies in the engine bay.
    '84 318i M10B18 147- Safari Beige
    NA: 93whp/90ftlbs, MS2E w/ LC, 2-Step
    Turbo: 221whp/214ftlbs, MS3x flex @ 17psi

Comment

I replaced my voltage regulator with a brand new one I happened to have laying around for a w126 Mercedes. It’s 14.6v while the old one is 14v but I stuck it on and now I have 6.5v to the exciter wire and when I ground it, the dash light does not come on anymore.
      Pin 2 at C200 has 12.5 volts when c200 is unplugged, but once I plug it in it drops to 6.5.

I have the correct voltage regulator coming in the mail today. I’ll update if that changes anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

check for continuity between pin 16 C1 and ground
        '84 318i M10B18 147- Safari Beige
        NA: 93whp/90ftlbs, MS2E w/ LC, 2-Step
        Turbo: 221whp/214ftlbs, MS3x flex @ 17psi

Comment

Solved! I put the old alternator in with the new voltage regulator and got a dash light! The newer alternator, which I guess is bad, was draining power from the exciter circuit when connected. I.e. there was 12v at the exciter until it was connected to the alternator.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
          X