Starting problem.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starting problem.

Hey guys. I have a starting problem with my 316i.
    First crank usually starts then dies instantly. Which results in me turning the ignition to the off position then back to start and cranking it for around 5~ seconds. Have installed a check valve in the fuel line to prevent loss of fuel pressure but doesn't seem to be doing the trick. Have recently changed the spark plugs, only for them to be black a month or 2 later. (If a photo is needed, I can upload one). I have been dealing with this problem for a while now but unsure what could be doing it. Any ideas if any air leak would cause it? Any help would be very much appreciated. Cheers

Could be a long list of things.

When it dies after start up, is it a stumble or is it like some hits the key to the off position?

I would first check the basics. Fuel, Air, Spark. Do you have all three??

See if you can get a fuel pressure, should be 40lbs with the key in the crank position.
    86 325
    02 C5 Z06
    02 Z/28 - DD

Comment

You've probably already tried this but it could be worth doing the stop test.

Comment

Originally posted by Z06&E30 View Post
        Could be a long list of things.

When it dies after start up, is it a stumble or is it like some hits the key to the off position?

I would first check the basics. Fuel, Air, Spark. Do you have all three??

See if you can get a fuel pressure, should be 40lbs with the key in the crank position.
        Hey man, thanks for the reply. When it dies it feels as if someone switches the key off instantly, then once I start it up it sounds as if it misfires, stumbles up to idle. If it's any help, at low revs my e30 like to stumble, similar to wanting to stall but not so aggressive. I have checked a lot of fuel air and spark related things. Could a cracked hose from the head to the intake be a problem? The crack is very small and is right at the connecting end.
        Also along the lines of fuel pressure, I was given some advice to install a check valve into my fuel line, to prevent losing fuel pressure but it hasn't fixed the problem.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by Metallated View Post
          You've probably already tried this but it could be worth doing the stop test.
          Hey mate! Nope I haven't tried that yet, as there doesn't seem to be a check light in the cluster, once I install a new one in I'll give the stomp test a go! Hoping that the previous owner didn't do a dodgy and pull out the check light on purpose to mask a problem lol

Comment

Start with your intake leaks. My next suspect would be the cps
            Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
            Alice the Time Capsule
            http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
            87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

Originally posted by jeffnhiscars View Post
              Start with your intake leaks. My next suspect would be the cps
              Hey mate checked for air leaks, there is a very thin break on my rubber boot, from the intake to the airbox. but the break hasnt gone all the way through, it seems as if its just the surface. i also have a break on the end of the breather hose to the cam cover. CPS will definitely be my next target

Comment

Working...
              X