No announcement yet.

DIY - Shadowlining

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any of you guys want a full set of OEM Shadowline from a 318iS?

Comment

"5.) When placing the newspaper on your car, try to use sections that you are interested in, such as sports, entertainment, car classifieds, local news, etc. That way you can read the latest headlines while you wait for the paint to dry :-). "

haha freaking hilarious

"It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain."
      R.I.P. Harry Goz aka. Captain Murphy
      "My ride, My ride, she don't beg, steal, cheat, or lie,
      My ride, My ride, and our relationship is classified."

Comment

Cahomey, I know exactly where that sign in your sig is. I used to live in both Petaluma and Sonoma.

Comment

Originally posted by delatlanta1281
          Done!!!!
          Love it! Gotta do my B pillers though.

Did you use primer? How about the rest of you guys?

Comment

Originally posted by formula driver
            Did you use primer? How about the rest of you guys?
            Yes, it's pretty necessary to use self etching primer.

Paint does not want to stick to the metalic e30 trim. You need to sand the hell out of it (every inch of it), use self etching primer, then paint it.

If you slack off on any of the above steps, I can gaurantee that it will flake off and you will have to do it all over again.

have fun ;)

-Erik

Comment

Originally posted by erik325i
              Yes, it's pretty necessary to use self etching primer.

Paint does not want to stick to the metalic e30 trim. You need to sand the hell out of it (every inch of it), use self etching primer, then paint it.

If you slack off on any of the above steps, I can gaurantee that it will flake off and you will have to do it all over again.

have fun ;)

-Erik

I painted the trim before and it flaked all over the place. I will most deffinatly be very carefull sanding and painting this time around. The reason I asked is because there was nothing said about primer in Fred's write up. Thanks alot for the quick response man.

-Paul

Comment

Shadowlining

Here's mine. it makes hell of a difference

:crazy:
                Attached Files
                [All the Bronzit haters]

Comment

Use primer, i didn't the first time and it flaked off, my friend used adheashion promotor and it flaked off as well.
                  Yours truly,
                  Rich
                  sigpic
                  Originally posted by Rigmaster
                  you kids get off my lawn.....

Comment

Originally posted by delatlanta1281 View Post
                    Use primer, i didn't the first time and it flaked off, my friend used adheashion promotor and it flaked off as well.
                    are you saying dont use adhesion promoter?

Comment

I used primer on mine, AFTER much sanding/scuffing of the chrome. I followed directions on the primer, and waited between several coats. Mine has held up beautifully after many many months. The only issue I've had is that mine has a couple chips in it from rocks hitting it I guess.

I also used the SEM paint, and I've said it before, and I'll say again, the SEM paint is good yes, but for the money, to do again, I would use Dupli-color semi-gloss or gloss black, it will match the trim better than the flat SEM tone.

[THE 501 club - Founding Member]

Comment

my SEM job is about 4 years old now.. I didn't scuff or anything, just cleaned it really good with simple green and sprayed. of course there are chips from 4 winters (they gravel the roads here instead of using salt) but they are hardly noticeable. also, you don't want to use flat or gloss black, you want a semi-gloss or trim black.
                        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Well....my shadowline is done. I used adhesion promoter and primer. Used the SEM paint and Im kinda wishin I used something else. It looks good but its almost to flat. I sanded the hell out of my trim, every bit of it. Had it off the car and did it the proper way so hopefully it will hold up for a long time.

Comment

i did duplicolor flat black and it looks awesome, not too flat

used sem on my first e30 and liked it

i'm so fucking sick of doing shadowline on e30s
                            Originally posted by blunt
                            can you get me a deal on cases of their (fiji) bottled water? i wash my 02 in that shit

Comment

Somebody needs to hit up a bunch of junkyard cars, get a piss load of trim and get it all powdercoated and sell em. They'll get gone like water....

Comment

Originally posted by formula driver View Post
                                Well....my shadowline is done. I used adhesion promoter and primer. Used the SEM paint and Im kinda wishin I used something else. It looks good but its almost to flat. I sanded the hell out of my trim, every bit of it. Had it off the car and did it the proper way so hopefully it will hold up for a long time.

I tried to tell ya's.

[THE 501 club - Founding Member]

Comment

Working...
                                X