Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Harness requirments?

Hey guys,

forgive me if this is a stupid question but I really haven't found a 100% definitive answer. The rolls bar should hopefully be going in my car this week, I just got my seats in, so now I just need to decide on which 5 point harnesses I want. Just to clarify, do I really need to worry about SFI or FIA ratings beyond the peace of mind aspect? I checked the SCCA rule page, MVP track days rule page, chin motorsports, etc. and nothing looks to be listed as a requirement other then "in good working order". The car will never see any actually racing aside from maybe time attack should I ever get that lucky. Is this something I need to think about? (and no, I don't intend to order some nrg or ebay special harnesses...)

If you've gone to the work of installing a cage and proper fixed back racing seat with correct floor mounts, then it seems you are taking safety seriously. Buy an FIA approved 6-pt harness and don't look back. Get one with 2" shoulder straps (to go around your HANS device) and 3" lap belts.

This is what I have and being as safe as possible is very important to me. I've been around the track long enough to see that on every track day I've been on someone balls up a car, every time they come back on the wrecker I think about how I would fare in my car if one day it's me. My e30 does about 140mph 3 times per lap at my local track -- do the right thing and get good harnesses -- beyond that make sure you install them correctly as well.

edit -- the SCCA General Competition Rules should outline harness requirements. MVP track time and other HPDE organizations probably don't do as thorough a job

Comment

I get that safety is important, but I also realize that there are tons of things out there that are just as good as other brands, the companies just don't pay for certifications for any number of reasons.

My only issue with spending money on an FIA (Or SFI for that matter) rated harness is that they have expirations dates...Am I going to have any issues with that? I would like to think that I will see enough track time to make that irrelevant, but the realist in me says that I am unlikely to get as much track time as I would like...

Comment

You will be able to run expired belts and seats at most, if not all track days, just no wheel to wheel racing with expired belts.
        - '88 m54 coupe

<3

Comment

Perfect, that's all I needed to know!

Comment

I agree expired belts for hpde are fine, as long as they haven’t been in an accident. Accidents put belts, seats and other safety devices through events they are only designed to withstand once, even though they may be able to take multiple impacts

Just like a car seat for a child. If you’re in an accident the car seat has been compromised and should be junked. Not designed for multiple impacts

Comment

Working...
            X