No announcement yet.

Auto-X SM Classification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

e30s get completely and totally hosed in SoloII classing. I was lucky enough that our region has an unofficial "run what you brung if your tires are 200+ treadwear" class and managed to win two championships before the cars that were actually fast (turbo Miata, SCed Elise, etc) started running enough events to win.

My advice is to run DSP or something and focus on raw time. If your region is small or medium-sized and you can get top 10, you're a pretty good driver. The best autox setup I found was 205 RE71s on 15x8 +20s. If you can fit a 15x9/225 for a reasonable budget, please share how!

Comment

I'm working at getting an older NASA GT2 E30 back up an running and with the M50 I'm running in XP. The seat time is proving to be worth the effort. I am finding things that would quickly end a track session. The latest are the subframe bushings that at 10+ years old have started to brake up. I found some of the evidence on the trailer after unloading when I got home. I now understand the funky transitions through the cones.

This is a link that started a quest, https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...E30-GTS2-325is

I have made contact with the owner who had listed the car. It had made it's way back to the west coast and I have been getting it back into track shape. The body, passenger door has a wrinkle and front fenders have been pulled, is a solid 20 footer. The 3.90 turned out to be a 4.10 that is getting swapped for much fresher 3.73, it never ends with these things.

David
      Last edited by jr02518; 05-01-2018, 07:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jr02518 View Post
        I'm working at getting an older NASA GT2 E30 back up an running and with the M50 I'm running in XP. The seat time is proving to be worth the effort. I am finding things that would quickly end a track session. The latest are the subframe bushings that at 10+ years old have started to brake up. I found some of the evidence on the trailer after unloading when I got home. I now understand the funky transitions through the cones.
        Photos right meowwww. Sounds like a fun project

Comment

Originally posted by lcoleman View Post
          e30s get completely and totally hosed in SoloII classing. I was lucky enough that our region has an unofficial "run what you brung if your tires are 200+ treadwear" class and managed to win two championships before the cars that were actually fast (turbo Miata, SCed Elise, etc) started running enough events to win.

My advice is to run DSP or something and focus on raw time. If your region is small or medium-sized and you can get top 10, you're a pretty good driver. The best autox setup I found was 205 RE71s on 15x8 +20s. If you can fit a 15x9/225 for a reasonable budget, please share how!

I’ve ran 15x8 with 225/50 and 225/45 Kumho v710 and Hoosier a6 on my early model without any fitment issues in the past . For what it’s worth.

15x9 with 245 has been confirmed as working / clearing as well in the other threads and I’d go for that as bare minimum if you have an engine swap.

My previous m30b35 swap with 225 dot r tires was tire limited , did manage to finish in top 3 for the season in SM but it wasn’t easy against other cars with either more HP and/or more tire .
          Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

I don't really see what the issue is of what class you run with. Run in whatever class the rules say you should run in and compare your times to whoever you want. If you don't think your steering rack makes you faster, then judge your time against other stock E30s, even if they aren't in your class. I also see camber plates in your photo, those will put you out of the stock class as well. The camber plates definitely provide a more measurable advantage than a steering rack.

Comment

This is "into the weeds", but for those of us that race to a set of rules, it's mana. The November SCCA Fastrack under the solo section lists a 2019 rules update for the Prepared classes. In FP I can run my 1987 BMW 325 that has a '91 NV M50 motor. The penalty is an extra 249.5 lbs, 10% of engine displacement. But as the car sits, a NASA legal 2345, I have 195.5 lbs to remove. Over time. As money allows I will take a page from Colin Chapman and add lightness!

David

Comment

The steering rack is the least of my classification concerns now lol

Comment

Nice! Details on the build somewhere?

Comment

In the Member's Rides sub-forum

Comment

The steering rack is the least of my classification concerns now.
                      How can it be to find a hood?

Problem solved!

heh

Nice!

t
                      now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Working...
                      X