No announcement yet.

What do you know and how much is a jdm/euro mtech 2 e30 worth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

you know you won't be able to register that in CA without doing some really expensive CARB stuff right?

Comment

Originally posted by amg463 View Post
      you know you won't be able to register that in CA without doing some really expensive CARB stuff right?
      $4,000-$6,000 depending on how the ARB lab is feeling. Also a huge line for testing, there's only two labs in the states for non-manufacturers like us.

Comment

Originally posted by amg463 View Post
        Sh@*... dont tell me that...I asked the dealer if it has cats, he told me it does. Hopefully it works out.

Anyone know smog/registration laws that have to do with these type purchases or cars in Colorado? I will be moving at the end of June there...

So I'm guessing Co might be my saving grace if it dosent meet carb criteria here in Ca.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mr2peak View Post
          The options list says Recaros. Let's see them!
          I should be hopefully getting the car tomorrow (tue) so I'll take some pics and put them up as time permits...
          sigpic

Comment

Having grown up and fought the CARB from 1978 to 2004 I'm pretty sure as long as the car was properly federalized and has all the smog devices the same 1991 e30 came with and passes the tests you should be fine.

Personally, if I were moving out of Ca. next month I would not bother with their DMV.

I lived in Az with three Ca registered cars on my Ca license for 5 years without any issues. I bet you can make a month.

[IMG]https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/my350z.com-vbulletin/550x225/80-parkerbsig_5096690e71d912ec1addc4a84e99c374685fc03 8.jpg[/IMG

Comment

Originally posted by e30 brick View Post
              Sh@*... dont tell me that...I asked the dealer if it has cats, he told me it does. Hopefully it works out.

Anyone know smog/registration laws that have to do with these type purchases or cars in Colorado? I will be moving at the end of June there...

So I'm guessing Co might be my saving grace if it dosent meet carb criteria here in Ca.

Doesn't matter if it has cats, it's a grey market vehicle, and will need a certificate of conformance, since it doesn't say its for USA or CA use on the car. Only two labs in the state have the equipment and certification to do certificate of conformance testing.

Every other state follows EPA requirements, which you are exempt from after 21 years, so you should be fine in CO.

The only way around it is, if you were essentially the original owner of the car, you got a letter from the EPA (good luck with that) saying the car meets the same requirements as USA model 325i cars and had registered it outside of CA for more than a year, or you were a soldier stationed in Japan (or wherever the car came from).
              Last edited by earthwormjim; 05-14-2018, 11:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by earthwormjim View Post
                Doesn't matter if it has cats, it's a grey market vehicle, and will need a certificate of conformance, since it doesn't say its for USA or CA use on the car. Only two labs in the state have the equipment and certification to do certificate of conformance testing.

Every other state follows EPA requirements, which you are exempt from after 21 years, so you should be fine in CO.

The only way around it is, if you were essentially the original owner of the car, you got a letter from the EPA (good luck with that) saying the car meets the same requirements as USA model 325i cars and had registered it outside of CA for more than a year, or you were a soldier stationed in Japan (or wherever the car came from).
                Dang...not what I wanted to hear. So, would make since to just not even try to register or follow thru with DMV in CA? Would I have to pay some kind of penalty for not registering it within 30 days of purchase?

Hmm, might be a good idea to go visit the local DMV...

thanks either way for the info
                sigpic

Comment

Dang...not what I wanted to hear. So, would make since to just not even try to register or follow thru with DMV in CA? Would I have to pay some kind of penalty for not registering it within 30 days of purchase?

Hmm, might be a good idea to go visit the local DMV...

thanks either way for the info
                  I think you would have better luck calling Sacramento. The local DMV office I registered my touring at was completely clueless. It took about an hour of arguing for them to accept the Certificate of Conformance. They kept insisting that I needed a SMOG certificate, even though a Certificate of Conformance completely supersedes a SMOG certificate. It even has emissions readings on it and says it takes the place of a SMOG certificate written on it!

They also forced me to go to a CHP inspection station, because there was no VIN tag on the dashboard, despite the car never having a VIN tag on the dashboard from the factory. I pointed out the VIN tag beneath the windshield, but they claimed the riveted on plate was removable and couldn't be used...

The whole process really pissed me off. I didn't care that much about the cost, I already knew how much it would cost before I bought the car. Just to go through the process correctly, by the book, and all the money I spent, only to have the DMV office treat me like a borderline criminal and argue with me, was too much.
                  Last edited by earthwormjim; 05-14-2018, 09:57 PM.

Comment

Don't go to the local DMV, save yourself a major headache and time, just wait till you're in CO to register it.

Comment

So I recieved the car on Tuesday. Unfortunately R3v isnt letting me post then. I apparently need a "security token".

So, yeah I'm just gonna save myself from the headache of the DMV. Since I'm moving I'll just take care of it in CO.

The interior is in overall like new condition. So I'm super happy about that. Only thing is the PO for unknown reasons have tweeters dangling from the speaker covers in the footwell area. He drilled holes in them so the tweeter wires could exit. And ruined them. So, I'll be in the market for a right and left speaker cover.

Car also has a minor oil leak from the cylinder head gasket. I'm thinking a major tune up is in order.

Car has HIDS for lows and fogs; which I was happy about. And the stereo has been upgraded. I will have to upgrade the speakers to something more modern and better sounding. This will obviously be last to do...

More pressing is, the car feels really heavy and not very nimble. I'm assuming the suspension is tired. Bushings, sways and a proper shock/spring combo are in order!

This car will be a driver and will see mountain road curves...any recommendations?

I have revshift bushings already. So it will be new CABS, me control arms and the says and spring/shock combo

I will post up pics as soon as I'm allowed to. Any suggestions on sways or springs/shocks would be great. Again this will be a driver so I'm not looking to keep it completely stock.

I was also looking at the intake, chip and arm package deal from VACMOTORSPORTS and a possible CAT back exhaust. What do you guys think is. Thanks again...
                      sigpic

Comment

The easiest way to post pics is to upload them to flickr and then insert the link to your posts.

Tutorial here:

[IMG]https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/my350z.com-vbulletin/550x225/80-parkerbsig_5096690e71d912ec1addc4a84e99c374685fc03 8.jpg[/IMG

Comment

So I recieved the car on Tuesday. Unfortunately R3v isnt letting me post then. I apparently need a "security token".

So, yeah I'm just gonna save myself from the headache of the DMV. Since I'm moving I'll just take care of it in CO.

The interior is in overall like new condition. So I'm super happy about that. Only thing is the PO for unknown reasons have tweeters dangling from the speaker covers in the footwell area. He drilled holes in them so the tweeter wires could exit. And ruined them. So, I'll be in the market for a right and left speaker cover.

Car also has a minor oil leak from the cylinder head gasket. I'm thinking a major tune up is in order.

Car has HIDS for lows and fogs; which I was happy about. And the stereo has been upgraded. I will have to upgrade the speakers to something more modern and better sounding. This will obviously be last to do...

More pressing is, the car feels really heavy and not very nimble. I'm assuming the suspension is tired. Bushings, sways and a proper shock/spring combo are in order!

This car will be a driver and will see mountain road curves...any recommendations?

I have revshift bushings already. So it will be new CABS, me control arms and the says and spring/shock combo

I will post up pics as soon as I'm allowed to. Any suggestions on sways or springs/shocks would be great. Again this will be a driver so I'm not looking to keep it completely stock.

I was also looking at the intake, chip and arm package deal from VACMOTORSPORTS and a possible CAT back exhaust. What do you guys think is. Thanks again...

E36, Z3 or E46 steering racks make a massive difference in steering feel. Any of them are a major upgrade, however the Z3 or purple tag E46 ZHP rack would be the two best available. Both of those racks feel relatively heavy.

If you want a lighter feel, but much quicker turning speed, a standard E36 rack or E46 330i rack would work.

Replacing all of the shifter bushings and hardware makes a big difference in feel too.

Intake is a waste, the intake on the car is already a cold air intake. Biggest difference in the engine department is to replace the AFM with a new or re-manufacturered unit, new throttle cable, and adjust or replace the throttle position switch. You'd be surprised how many M20 cars feel slow, simply because the ECU never switches into WOT operation.

Comment

nice one of these on BAT ending in a couple days. Wonder if it'll get in the mid 20s like yours, might be a deal!

Comment

Working...
                            X