options for engine management with boost

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

options for engine management with boost

hey guys, i basically know what my setup is going to be as far as physical pieces for my turbo build, but i wanted to look into different management options. i dont have the money for a mega squirt even though i understand thats the best option. i was looking at the war chip, but have heard seen references to aem options? wondering if anyone can give me a run down of the different options, and even ones not mentioned. thanks!!!

How are you going to successfully turbo charge your engine without enough money for a megasquirt?

You really should get the engine going on a decent engine management system first and then keep saving for your turbo bits.

Comment

Originally posted by e30davie View Post
      How are you going to successfully turbo charge your engine without enough money for a megasquirt?
      He won't.

Comment

Engine management is key. I originally went the chip route and felt fortunate that I didn’t blow my engine. Now I’m on a stand-alone Haltech. Do it right the first one. Will cost you less in the long run.

Comment

Originally posted by rturbo 930 View Post
          He won't.

You really should get the engine going on a decent engine management system first and then keep saving for your turbo bits.
          Originally posted by rturbo 930 View Post
          He won't.

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

If you can't afford megsaquirt, which is probably the least cost option for tuning, especially since they have plug and play options, then you probably shouldn't consider turboing the car...Trust me, it costs way more then you think it will.

Comment

ok, thanks for the info guys. im just gonna save for a while.

Comment

what engine?
                You can safely turbo charge an m52/s52 using the stock siemens DME.
                I have it working perfectly and making 500hp
                RHD OBD2 M50b25 turbo build thread:
                http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=384800

Comment

You _can_ turbo an M20 on the stock Motronic - CXRacing's kit is set up to do it this way - but you'll be limited in how much boost you can run, and it won't gain all that much power (CXRacing's demo car made 211hp), and it'll be a lot riskier. If anything, you should megasquirt and tune first, then turbo. It's possible to gain some power even without any other major mods (you pretty much have to AFM delete and use a MAP sensor instead for megasquirt) and you'll learn how to tune when the stakes are lower and it probably won't blow up on you.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul-Z View Post
                    Engine management is key. I originally went the chip route and felt fortunate that I didn’t blow my engine. Now I’m on a stand-alone Haltech. Do it right the first one. Will cost you less in the long run.
                    +1 on the haltech, Far better option for a standalone and now there getting a lot cheaper with all there different options. Just need to do a little wiring which is a good skill to master.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
                    Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

IX being restored here

Ix turbo build here

Comment

I used a plug and play megasquirt. Think I spent the big bucks at around $700? Just unplug your stock ecu and plug it in. Neat. This beat the $400 or so I spent on the last project where I hacked in a used megasquirt into my harness. That was an awful bad idea and wasted lots of time.

Yes you are looking spending more than 2x as much on a megasquirt than the fmu and chip route, but to be able to just plug it in and go is amazing. Tuning the fuel curve and tuning the spark curve is critical if you are not going with a set kit and a chip. That said the fmu/chip method can work great as long as you are using the exact same stuff the chip was dialed in for.

Comment

I just picked up a turbo 325is that is still on the stock ecu. My ms2 PNP just came in the mail today but there a few supporting mods that I need to do at the same time. First of all I need to wire my e36 TPS into the e30 harness. Can anyone give some guidance for me on that?

I also bought a gm IAT sensor, boost solenoid kit, and a catch can set up. When installing the ms2, did you have to tap into the vacuum line? (I hope these aren't dumb questions)

Comment

Not dumb questions, but they're answers easily found online. There is an m20 megasquirt installation PDF floating around somewhere made by DIYPNP I think.

Yes a direct vac line goes to the MS unit.

Need an adapter to fit the e36 tps like this
                          BMW M50 TPS Adapter for BMW M20 throttle bodies. For megasquirt and other standalone engine control management options.

For the wiring:

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

Thanks for your help. My mounting bracket came yesterday too but I had not seen that wiring map before so that is extremely helpful. I emailed the famous user downforce22 (Ted) but he doesn't make the plug and play harnesses anymore unfortunately, so Im going to try and make one myself but this could get ugly lol

Comment

Working...
                            X