No announcement yet.

E30 Rear Brake lines and T junction replacement without removing subframe DIY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I posted this on bimmerforums and figured I might as well post it here. Updates will be in the BF post.

Bimmerforums is the preferred online BMW Forum and community for BMW owners. At Bimmerforums, you will find technical how-to information maintenance specifics audio advice wheel and tire combinations and model specific details not found anywhere else. Our professionals are here to help make sure you find the answers you need to your questions and our community is here to help other brainstorm ideas for the future.

Hi, this is the third time I have done this on my cars. Well, two cars were done this way, and one was slightly different. This can be done on the ground on ramps (I have done it) but it is far easier to do this on a lift. Nobody wants to remove the subframe to repair the rear brake lines that go above the diff and subframe, and part of the gas tank. It probably cost about $50 in parts/fluid and took me about three hours with the car on the lift today. The hardest part is loosening the rear brake line from the proportioning valve below the brake booster, and the second hardest part is connecting the new line to the proportioning valve. But hey, atleast we DO NOT need to remove the subframe!

I left most of the old stuff in the car. I think I only removed the main rear line from the proportioning valve back to the tee junction. The brake tee junction was rusted and I couldn't remove the bolt but it really doesnt need to come out. Plus you can zip-tie the new brake tee junction part of the old main line going to the old tee junction. I also left the old inner lines and hoses in the car.

Parts I used:
    About 7' of 1/4" nickle copper brake line because it is super easy to bend by hand and that makes it very easy to route around the gas tank.
    One Inner rear brake hose 34321159878
    One Outer rear brake hose 34321159881
    One brake tee junction 34341111435 It is M10X1.0 used in VW, Audi, and some Japanese vehichles
    8" brake line (I used AGS BLJ308)

I had the line and the junction, so I bought the soft hoses from Carquest. They can usually get stuff the next day if they don't have it on the shelf.

Carquest BRK SP8639
    Carquest BRK SP6247

Also it is a good idea to have a couple spare bubble flare nuts just in case the originals can't be used. I had to reuse the rear one since I left it on the original junction tee.
    This is what I used:
    Buy S.U.R. & R BR250 M10 x 1.0 Bubble Flare Nut [VW, Audi] (4) with an everyday low price and fast shipping! JB Tools

Luckily there is a case of these things.

Before doing this, I would sugggest making sure you can separate the old inner soft hoses from the old outer hard lines and nothing breaks. I reused the old hard lines (the ones on the trailing arms). And I would make sure you can get the old main line off the bottom of the proportioning valve (super hidden under the brake booster). I had to use vice-grips on this so it didnt move when I removed the flare nut of the old main line.

Here is what we are making:

Honestly, It is easier to put this together on the bench so you can tighten it up without anything in your way.

Once you make that, you can slide the passenger side line above the rear diff and put it in the bracket. You will need to bend the line slightly so it doesnt rub on the diff or subframe.

And here is the driver's side almost finished:

Now, I forgot to continue taking pictures while I completed this. So here is a picture of the last E30 I did:

The car is still on the lift so I will take pictures tomorrow to show the rest.

The routing of the main line is pretty straight forward. I started from the back and worked forward and zip tied the tee junction and line to something solid(ish). It just made sense to do it that way because I was working with a new 100' spool of this copper line and I didnt want to cut the wrong amount. Just take your time and have fun. You will have tons of fun getting this line connected to the proportioning valve below the brake booster. It probably took me half an hour. I thought I had it threading in but then I realized it was crooked. It is very hard to see and visibility is zero when your huge hand is in the way.
    FS NY: two Audiobahn A235HC amps and audiobahn 1farad capacitor
    Saab/GM tech2 programming
    My for sale thread
    1990 325iX for sale or part out
    Did you buy something from me? Please leave feedback!

Originally posted by K20RI_211
    And I have to ask if you make a hobby out of thread-bombing with retarded questions?

This is the best thing I've ever seen. I'll be doing
    this job soon.

--Mike
    (OO=[][]=OO) For Life

Comment

Originally posted by 15Michaeljoseph View Post
      This is the best thing I've ever seen. I'll be doing
      this job soon.

--Mike

Thank you, Mike! This was the third time I did this. The first car ('90iX) I used the original T and it took forever. Plus I did that car on ramps so that multiplied the difficulty by a billion.
      My for sale thread

And I have to ask if you make a hobby out of thread-bombing with retarded questions?

Comment

Originally posted by barbierij View Post
        Thank you, Mike! This was the third time I did this. The first car ('90iX) I used the original T and it took forever. Plus I did that car on ramps so that multiplied the difficulty by a billion.
        Yeah... I don't know about using my original T fitting... it looks like it's probably going to take a dump any week now hahah. I'm planning on buying the pre cut, pre flared sections of copper nickel line from NAPA since I don't have a flare tool and it's almost just as expensive once you factor in the end pieces and a cutter and such. I was under my car today with a measuring tape. I bet I can even put the new T fitting in the same spot as the old one (if I can get it out--rust), I have pretty small hands. but I'll be using this DIY for sure :) so thank you very much for making it because otherwise i probably would have ended up looking at it and saying 'subframe? yeah, no, taking this to a mechanic'.

--Mike
        (OO=[][]=OO) For Life

Comment

It will be tough to get the main line pre-cut because you probably will lose some inches after all the bending and wrapping around the gas tank. I have a double flare tool and the cutter if you would like to borrow them. Where in western mass are you?

You're welcome for this DIY. I thought people just brushed it off as nonsense since there were no comments for a while.
          My for sale thread

Comment

It will be tough to get the main line pre-cut because you probably will lose some inches after all the bending and wrapping around the gas tank. I have a double flare tool and the cutter if you would like to borrow them. Where in western mass are you?

You're welcome for this DIY. I thought people just brushed it off as nonsense since there were no comments for a while.
            About the main line, for one reason or another (previous repair) my car has a joining fitting piece about halfway under the drivers door, so i thought I could take it apart and go back from there (front section isn't rusty, must have been repaired) and I think that with all the bending and such, a 63 or 72 inch piece would work. I am in Longmeadow, just south of springfield, I'm in springfield a lot really. That would be a really nice thing and a good learning experience.... I'm going to price some rolls of line and see.... haha how far away is pine plains, NY?

--Mike
            (OO=[][]=OO) For Life

Comment

Damn! I consider Egermont, Great Barrington, Lee, Adams, even Pittsfield as western mass. I sometimes go through chicopee on the masspike but maybe I should just mail this stuff to you. Mass is like the big lego piece.
              My for sale thread

Comment

it is like a lego piece! I have a friend who does a lot of DIYing I'll see if he has one before wr go mailing things. And speaking of chicopee, center auto wrecking has 3 e30's and 2 e36's and a couple e34's if you need anything... they're not really completely picked.

--Mike
                (OO=[][]=OO) For Life

Comment

So this might be a stupid question... but it's not making sense in my head. If I buy 3/16 brake line, metric bubble flare, with the correct M10x1 end fittings, will it fit the T fitting that you used with the 1/4 line? The PIPE size doesn't matter, just the fitting, right?
                  (OO=[][]=OO) For Life

Comment

I imagine as long as you use M10x1.0 fittings you should be fine.
                    My for sale thread

Comment

I imagine as long as you use M10x1.0 fittings you should be fine.
                      awesome! just priced out the lines from napa and the t fitting from ecs... going to be around a hundred bucks including 64 oz (maybe i need more?) of fluid.

a small price to pay for the saftey, and not being anxious when I hit the brakes... 'will this be the one?'

--Mike
                      (OO=[][]=OO) For Life

Comment

Everything's ordered up. I'm going to buy the gallon of brake fluid from autozone. That should be good, right? I'll add pictures when I do the job.

--Mike
                        (OO=[][]=OO) For Life

Comment

A gallon is too much i think, even for a full flush. Make sure it is DOT4.
                          My for sale thread

Comment

I just got my t fitting in the mail from ecs, completing my inventory for the job. Probably going to try it Friday and Saturday, to give myself time. I've been shooting PB blaster on all the connections for the past couple days.

--Mike
                            (OO=[][]=OO) For Life

Comment

good to hear!
                              My for sale thread

Comment

Working...
                              X