No announcement yet.

A 50 year old Japanesse lady: SRL311 01228

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can officially take this off the to-do list.

Simon
    Current Cars:
    -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Dude, you went to the effort of replacing the tank, but you failed to clean and repaint the straps to hold it in? Epic fail!

Will
      '59 Alfa Romeo 101.02 Giulietta Sprint
      '69 Alfa Romeo 105.51 1750 GTV (R.I.P)
      '69 Datsun 2000 roadster Vintage race car
      '88 BMW M3

Comment

Originally posted by BlackbirdM3 View Post
        Dude, you went to the effort of replacing the tank, but you failed to clean and repaint the straps to hold it in? Epic fail!

Will
        haha Patina BRO! ... your OCD does not effect me. If I wanted to paint those straps it would take me about 3 weeks to finish the job.

I picked up something today for the car. Its not a confirmed 3.9 rear end, but it should be. If I knew how to split the pumpkin from the solid axle I would've confirmed it right now, but sadly I dont. I'm close.

This is a rear axle setup from a 66-67 model, so its supposed to have the 3.9 final drive, but I wont know for absolutely sure until I can get the pumpkin off, and I dont really want the rest, but Will keeps telling me to keep it haha I should listen to him more, but I make my own mistakes and complain later...

Simon
        Current Cars:

Comment

lol, yea you should have POR15'd the straps.

Have you seen the build that Might Car Mods did on a 240z?

Comment

Ha! there, another person says so as well.

As for pulling the pumpkin, first pull the axles, 4 bolts on each, and wrestle the axles out (they are likely pretty happy where they are at. If you flip the drums around and use a dead blow hammer on them, they should slide free. It might take one whack, it might take 100. ) Once you have the axles free, remove the 12 nuts holding the center in place and it will come right out.

The easy way to tell what ratio you have is to turn the axle 1 revolution and count how many times the diff pinion turns. If it turns just shy of 4 turns, you have a 3.9...

Will
            '59 Alfa Romeo 101.02 Giulietta Sprint
            '69 Alfa Romeo 105.51 1750 GTV (R.I.P)
            '69 Datsun 2000 roadster Vintage race car
            '88 BMW M3

Comment

A 50 year old Japanesse lady: SRL311 01228

Yea Im almost there!... Got stuck/ ran out of time yesterday so now I just need to slide the axles out.

Hopefully its closer to 1 whack VS 100... but based on what I experienced getting the drums off, one side will take 5, the other will take 50
              Simon
              Current Cars:

Comment

Originally posted by jeenyus View Post
                lol, yea you should have POR15'd the straps.

Have you seen the build that Mighty Car Mods did on a 240z?
                been following this one for a bit. super stoked
                1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

so update on the rear axle. I used a reversed drum slider idea and oddly enough, the opposite side of what I was yanking on came out, but the side that had more rust continues to be a pain.

so rather than stay frustrated with it, I moved on to the other tasks I had. One was
                  to finish trimming the pass side bump stop. I had forgotten to do it, so I got that done. Im happy with the finished product.

With that crossed off the list, I figured I will tackle something easy and while I stared at the car, it occurred to me that I had some extra lugs from that other axle and I pulled the 3 random lugs off and installed the spares. Boom, small difference. That done, it was on to the next thing that had been on my mind.

Some people on the 311s forum recently purchased a lot of Roadster Griffin grill badge. Obviously the people who assembled this and shipped it out have never installed it on a Roadster because this little blunder prevented me from actually installing it... that backing plate needs to be as wide as the holes on the badge itself.

I dug through my random metal pieces, and got lucky again! :P

Here is the piece, trimmed and ready to install.

Installed it on the pass side first, wasnt too stoked on how it looked

and here it is on the other side, I like it better here. It blocks the overflows overflow haha

I ended the day by trying to jump the car, but it just didnt want to kick. I knew the tank was nearly empty because when I had swapped the tank I emptied it and filled up the BMW. I will add two gallons tomorrow and try again
                  Simon
                  Current Cars:

Comment

soooo I didnt add any fuel to it, BUT since I finally got the badge on the front, I figured I should ramp up the effort to put the badge on the rear.

a 311s.org member sent me some good pics with measurements that gave me confidence and a good general area to make sure I was good to go. Oddly enough, my spacing was different than the ones he sent me, but the height and spacing was good enough to make me bust out the drill...

Im happy with the results :)

Simon
                    Current Cars:

Comment

It really had been a thorn in my side that I hadnt completed the POR15 job on the pass floor, so last night I went bananas on it to get it all down to metal so I could get it done

Started the 3 step process and while the metal prep was drying I went to go buy some tan paint, found a khaki color that looked good and fairly close so I got that and took one final "before" pic

POR15 laid down and the rear shelf "done"

POR15 pretty much done. I also used whatever POR15 was left in my starter kit. I will need more for the driver side and any other pieces that will need POR15 down the road. I still have plenty of prep stuff left though, so thats nice

and this is my "finished" pic.

When I peeled the masking off, I did a little blending, but I will finish off the tunnel when I get to the driver side. The tunnel has some really stubborn areas that dont want to go to bare metal so all of that will be fun to deal with soon...

I guess thats one step closer to finishing the interior. I have a few things in the plans here in the near future so I hope to get to those sooner than later
                      Simon
                      Current Cars:

Comment

Nice!

[IMG]https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/my350z.com-vbulletin/550x225/80-parkerbsig_5096690e71d912ec1addc4a84e99c374685fc03 8.jpg[/IMG

Comment

very cool. I love POR15. That stuff makes old shitty look, new shiny.

I even used the POR15 on fiberglass cloth to seal holes or patch rust spots; like in my battery tray area.

Great work.

Comment

Originally posted by parkerbink View Post
                            Nice!

Great work.
                            Thanks guys!

Messed around with the car a little more. Finished up a few minor things and took her out for a spin. I love driving this car, its an instant smile on my face. Life just seems less stupid when Im driving the car...

I got home and decided it was time to see how the Talbot mirror would look where the antenna goes... Will was correct when he told me it was going to be useless in the OEM spot, but while I was driving around, I noticed that there was a perfect little pocket in my line of sight where the antenna was. Pulled the antenna out, grabbed a few spacers, liked the shape in relation to the fender curve and bolted it on with one of the two bolts. purrrrfect!

Ive got some more plans and Im excited that the car fired up, I was getting paranoid about the new tank. I need to ditch that battery and get something lighter along with wiring in the kill switch so I can move one step closer to actually taking it out and letting her sing at WOT on a closed course.
                            Simon
                            Current Cars:

Comment

I think the mirror location is awesome. I've started to really set my eyes on some vintage Japanese. Maybe like an older Corolla or something would be really cool. Dream car, obviously would be a C10 Skyline, but that is almost impossible to get at a reasonable price. Love the Fairladys. They are starting to climb in price too.

Comment

I think the mirror location is awesome. I've started to really set my eyes on some vintage Japanese. Maybe like an older Corolla or something would be really cool. Dream car, obviously would be a C10 Skyline, but that is almost impossible to get at a reasonable price. Love the Fairladys. They are starting to climb in price too.
                                I got a chance to test out the mirror location yesterday while driving it around it is absolutely perfect. an absolute win-win. Its not going anywhere and I dont care that theres a hole in my door for the actual mirror. Got back home and parked it outside so I could snap some daytime shots...

Typical angle, the shadow ruined it though....

I like this angle a lot

and I love this one.

Hope to get my battery situation fixed here soon so I can put some miles on it this summer before driving it up to Laguna Seca in 2 months
                                Simon
                                Current Cars:

Comment

Working...
                                X