Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Roll bar + harness for occasional track use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wrecked once without a HANS.

That was 2006.

I still can't look over my left shoulder.

I wish I hadn't learned the hard way.

t
    now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

TobyB, Sorry to hear, and to that's a great reminder.

Is HANS only for harnesses or does it work with 3 point?
      I have 3-point w/airbag.

Comment

A HANS or similar only works with a 5/6 point harness.

Or something similar with vertical torso straps.

t
        now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Originally posted by mindspin311 View Post
          You can buy a Kirk 4pt bolt in bar. Run a 6pt harness. And, keep your factory belts. But I wouldn't touch a seat that's been involved in an accident.

Yeah, no. Had I known the Kirk roll bar mounts to the floorpan I'd have never bought it. It should have been made to mount to the inner rails, not the rear footwell area.

Comment

Originally posted by amcp View Post
            Yeah, no. Had I known the Kirk roll bar mounts to the floorpan I'd have never bought it. It should have been made to mount to the inner rails, not the rear footwell area.
            It's better than nothing. Are you informed of the strength of an E30 floor?

Comment

Don't all 4 pt bolt in roll bars mount to the floor?

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

You might be right, its better than nothing. But why half ass it? Theres no way the floopan can take the weight of the car resting on it without punching through it, even with backing plates.
                And I know that a floorpan isnt where you mount a rollbar or cage.

Comment

You might be right, its better than nothing. But why half ass it? Theres no way the floopan can take the weight of the car resting on it without punching through it, even with backing plates.
                  And I know that a floorpan isnt where you mount a rollbar or cage.
                  There's still the roof structure.

I wouldn't call it half-assed. If you dont want a full caged track car. And realistically, a fully caged car shouldnt be a requirement of a DE car. Then the roll bar definitely increases your odds in the event you happen to roll over at a DE. Which you shouldn't ever be doing. Because it's a DE.

Comment

I know its not scientific, but heres what the roof structure will do.
                    1980's Saab 900 and 1980's bmw dropped from 8 ft onto roof. Results are stunning!

And Im not saying you need a rollbar or cage for a DE. I'm saying if youre buying either, you'd want one that mounts correctly.

Comment

There aren't any bolt-in rollbars that mount to or tie into the rocker panels. If you are worried about punching through, the best course of action is to weld in reinforcement plates that tie the floor into the rocker panel. It isn't too hard to weld plates like these in, and for peace of mind, it might be worth it.

The racing / HPDE accidents that I've seen involved going off and not rolling over. I think a bigger concern is the lack of front crash structure on an E30, where your legs are probably more in danger than your noggin being crushed by a rollover. It certainly depends on the race track, as sometimes the going gets really rough when you have an off.

Originally posted by whysimon
                      WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

From the pics Ive seen the Garagistic bar mounts to the rocker area.
                        I think it was an oversight on Kirks part. Their reasoning was the fuel lines under the drivers side were in the way.
                        And thats exactly what I plan on doing Fred. Weld plates in.

Comment

OK, I see what you're talking about. The VSR and Garagistic bars have the main hoop mount to the outermost part of the horizontal portion of the floor, whereas the Kirk is inboard by easily 4" on each side, bolting to the thinnest, least structural part of the E30's floor. That's pretty aggravating.

I wonder why the rear stays on the Garagistic bar are bent? Also, it simply doesn't make much sense to me that they're using .120 4130, when the primary reason why people go chromoly is to save weight because it's significantly stronger than DOM, and you can get by with smaller diameter tubing.

Originally posted by whysimon
                          WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

Originally posted by FredK View Post
                            OK, I see what you're talking about. The VSR and Garagistic bars have the main hoop mount to the outermost part of the horizontal portion of the floor, whereas the Kirk is inboard by easily 4" on each side, bolting to the thinnest, least structural part of the E30's floor. That's pretty aggravating.

I wonder why the rear stays on the Garagistic bar are bent? Also, it simply doesn't make much sense to me that they're using .120 4130, when the primary reason why people go chromoly is to save weight because it's significantly stronger than DOM, and you can get by with smaller diameter tubing.
                            This is where my Kirk bar ended up in my E36 M3.

Comment

Mindspin, we're talking e30. They did it proper on the e36.

Comment

Mindspin, we're talking e30. They did it proper on the e36.
                                I know, just posting as a reference. I don't have any direct experience with the Kirk in an E30.

Comment

Working...
                                X