ABS reinstall?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ABS reinstall?

I have an '89 325i. Looks like PO removed ABS pump. Wheel sensors are present but I have no idea how functional they are.
    Is it worth finding an ABS pump and replumbing it? I assume the rest of the system is present but I have no idea.

Thanks for the help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bump

Looks like I would need (roughly) abs pump, lines to and from pump, and abs computer (in glovebox I believe?). Is that right? Is that easy to get from junkyard cars? Are junkyard parts reliable for these systems?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

The ABS computer is under the driver's side dash. I would check to see that the wiring is still there, otherwise it could be a bear to find a donor car, take all its wiring, and put it back in.

Your outline of what you need is right. I would find a donor car that has the lines in good, unrusted shape. I would examine how the brake lines were adapted to be non-ABS. It should be easy enough to use a bubble flare union for the rear circuit and a bubble flare tee for the front circuit. However, these cars are not always owned by people with common sense, and there could be compression fitting unions, which I would not recommend using on brake lines.

Originally posted by whysimon
      WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

I am scrapping a 89 325I that had a complete functioning ABS system. Let me know if you need something.
        sigpic
        Steve Corbett
        1983 528E Scrapped
        1983 528E Sold
        1984 745I
        1984 325E - Sold
        1989 325I Bronzit-Sold
        1989 325I Zinno
        1988 635CSI

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Corbett View Post
          I am scrapping a 89 325I that had a complete functioning ABS system. Let me know if you need something.
          I also have a complete abs system available, let me know if you need anything.

Comment

Thanks for the info, I'll do some digging today. The PO ran a soft stainless steel lines across the front for the front brakes out of a T fitting on a short hard line from the MC, the rear brakes are straight off the MC it looks like? I will try to examine the wiring, but I'm not exactly sure what to be looking for.

Thanks for the input.

Comment

Originally posted by FredK View Post
              The ABS computer is under the driver's side dash. I would check to see that the wiring is still there, otherwise it could be a bear to find a donor car, take all its wiring, and put it back in.

Your outline of what you need is right. I would find a donor car that has the lines in good, unrusted shape. I would examine how the brake lines were adapted to be non-ABS. It should be easy enough to use a bubble flare union for the rear circuit and a bubble flare tee for the front circuit. However, these cars are not always owned by people with common sense, and there could be compression fitting unions, which I would not recommend using on brake lines.
              So the computer is definitely there. I found a bunch of wires that are somewhat cleanly capped off and taped together. I assume the PO just sliced off the big connector? There are a couple of other connectors floating around in the fender area that I'm not sure what they go to.

Either way, it'll probably be a project for next year. I'll just have to buy some cheap tires so I don't flat spot them.

Comment

Originally posted by i6mt6 View Post
                Thanks for the info, I'll do some digging today. The PO ran a soft stainless steel lines across the front for the front brakes out of a T fitting on a short hard line from the MC, the rear brakes are straight off the MC it looks like? I will try to examine the wiring, but I'm not exactly sure what to be looking for.

Thanks for the input.
                That doesn't seem too bad. If you get a complete line set with the ABS pump you can probably re-plumb everything in an hour or two.

Originally posted by i6mt6 View Post
                So the computer is definitely there. I found a bunch of wires that are somewhat cleanly capped off and taped together. I assume the PO just sliced off the big connector? There are a couple of other connectors floating around in the fender area that I'm not sure what they go to.

Either way, it'll probably be a project for next year. I'll just have to buy some cheap tires so I don't flat spot them.
                The ABS has a pretty thick wire bundle leading back through the firewall. If it's nicely capped off then it might be easiest to get the ABS pump with maybe 5 - 6 inches of wire attached to it so you can just re-crimp everything wire-to-wire.

Originally posted by whysimon
                WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

Well that sounds good. I'll have to look into it once I get the car running.

Comment

Originally posted by Metallated View Post
                    I also have a complete abs system available, let me know if you need anything.
                    Well, upon further examination, the soft line running across from the MC to the pass side front does not have enough slack in it to raise it above the engine/trans that it's currently draped across. So I will need to replace it, so I figure I might as well do the ABS plumbing while I'm at it.

I'll PM you about your system.

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                    X