Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E30 Drift Touring V8 swap

i Guys,

Im Leo, from the Netherlands and owner of a stock 325i Touring, a 325i vert, and a M60 swapped drift touring hoonmobile!
    I have a small shop with a friend called Garage30 which we just started.
    He owns a s54 swapped coupe, a stock 325i touring, and has a touring v8 swap in the works.

Here is the build of my drift touring. The pics are crappy and I lost some pics from the car itself, I'll get those asap!

So my touring was a m20 turbo before, but I had a little fire from radiant heat which holed a wastegate line. An ignorant person then borrowed my car without asking and BOOM! party is over.

Rape.

More Rape. Gasket was oval on the rest of the cylinders. I guess that happens pushing 45 pounds of boost or godknows how much. It did take these levels of boost longer than expected before it blew though, it ran on e85 with Arp's. But there is a limit..

Coolant came running out of the Tb..

I just bought an M60B40 to swap in my nice daily touring when this happened. I Fixed the gasket and it blew again within like 5km.. At this point i wanted a reliable drifter so I said F it and decided to yank the turbo m20 for the V8.

There it was, with a big ass gearbox attached. I also got a Zf 5 speed though. Nice and light.

Yanked the turbo m20, pretty neat setup. twinscroll, twin tial gates, borg warner s256, megasquirt. Going to fix it later, Def not done with this. A good running m20 turbo is cash.

Seeya, good times were had.

Pulled the pan off the m60 as you should

Couple of bolts showing un-german behaviour of running away from their responsibilities

Engine looked great, 100k miles supposedly.

I cleaned the injectors and flow tested them with my own flow bench, they were impressively close together.

Then I started on one of the major hurdles; The brake system. Decided to go with an e34 setup. Tilted the booster slightly down for clearance. I wanted to keep the original mounting points.

Fabbed the other end up. Moved the firewall pattern. Put a 4mm thick plate between the firewall and the booster arm. Very sturdy setup!

This is what I did to the brake pedal assembly.

A nylon bushing sits between the pedal and the booster link shaft now. The brake pedal box has been greatly cut down, but I reinforced it with thick plate.

I moved the clutch to the other side of the clutch pedal. Because I wanted to keep the throttle link stock for clearance reasons outside the firewall.

Clutch cyl is completely inside the cabin. It COMPLETELY SUCKED BALLS making it like this, trying to figure out how to tackle the clutch problem was the worst thing of the entire swap imo. Just so cramped, welding upside down, no room due to car being on a lift... It works though. But please just buy a complete pedal box or something. I am going to work on a proper solution for the m60 swap brakesytem. Because this works well when done, but it is a lot of work. A pedalbox is a better solution but ditches the brake booster. We need something in between imo.

Anyway, on to next big hurdle. Headers! Decided to make my own stainless 4-1 headers, because when I saw the stock headers I lol'd. They must flow like absolute ****. Halfway down I wished I had gone x5 headers though, so much work.

Started out like this, cleaned everything up with tig later

Not perfectly aligned I know, but it worked out well in the end

Smoothed out, looks rough but its smooth as tits

Then came the collector. I rolled it out of a sheet of stainless. Tough stuff this. very hard work. My dad had to help me big time to muscle that plate into a cone!

Nearly done

Then the drivers side

Did this one on the car. Tight!

Soo close

Bend around the steering shaft

Collector welded on

Done

Porting on the inside

Both sides

They came out pretty good. Not equal lenght by any means but they will outflow stock by a whole lot. I designed them as I went so they can def be better, but both fit perfectly and sound bad ass! I want to take my car to a dyno soon, Im very curious how much she puts out, because she pulls hard.

On the engine. Made some engine mounts myself because nothing oem seemed to work. Fitment with these 300mm mounts is meh at best. Imo the subframe spacer thing sucks, notching the oil pan would be a better solution.
    I do have a e36 rack though. Everything is so close together it's rediculous! F-all clearance..

Decided to drop the subframe on lower the car over the engine and gearbox. I thought this was the best way. Wrong. The best way is to remove part of the front clip and put the engine in from above. The M60 is nearly too wide for the frame rails! I had to pull the valve covers to make it fit. Like, 1mm on each cam wheel to spare.. But possible it is. The steering shaft was HELL to get in btw..

Made a block off plate on the intake mani. Run a hose to a moroso catch can.

So after the thing was finally in, I started on the rest of the exhaust.
    Increasing ground clearance

Dual 2,5 to single 3"

Center section exh hanger with old trans mount

Center section

Flattened under the subframe, clearance is great for 3"

Hanger

End turn down tip, yes I know about the rust...

Sounds great all in all. Quiet ish when cruising but sounds sweet with some throttle.

Then the issue of the driveshaft. Finding a big guibo e30 driveshaft proved near impossible so I thought of this;

Adapter from the 96mm bigger guibo to the stock 325 e30 driveshaft! This one we cnc milled from mild steel. We kept it simple and light, but it proved too weak for hoonage! I was not surprised, this thing held out great for daily sporty use. Just not for burnouts etc.

So I upped my game

Increased surface area, wider arms. Tool steel instead of regular. This thing is beef! Still using this one. I don't expect this thing to bend. I want to produce these, but first more testing. All in all a great simple cheap solution.

So I was almost ready to drive, did the wiring and got it fired up quick.

Clutch no worky! I could not get the clutch to disconnect from the fw. Turned out the clutch plate was too thick! I used a custom setup.

You can see the clutch fingers being pretty flat before my fix. It is a ttv lightweight fw. It fits a s50 clutch. I used a s50 pressure plate, but with a e34 m5 clutch plate. Because they are sprung and I wanted a smooth clutch.

Removing the tranny was impossible, so I drilled a big hole in the side of my tranny and put 3mm spacer rings between the pressure plate and flywheel to space it out. Solved! Works like a charm and doesn't slip.

Next problem. It ran like crap! It had like 40 hp. My brother said it sounded like a Bren carrier mixed with a sherman tank. I nearly went insane trying to figure it out. I tested EVERYTHING. In the end, the injectors were clogged! I did not expect that because I cleaned and tested them a couple months back.
    As soon as I cleaned them AGAIN it ran like a dream, still does!

Trying to figure it out..

Thats it folks! I went to get this new engine registered last week and I passed. This means I can legally drive it now. Mint!

I'll get some more pics/vids from the car itself tomorrow, it sucks I dont have any. Soon! Still I hope you enjoyed the read. Im out!

Some more pics

A touring like it is supposed to be.. Sideways!
    Last edited by Garage30; 11-15-2015, 01:19 PM.
    Euro car and parts export business based in the Netherlands, specialized in E30 Tourings!

Instagram: @garage30_ WWW.GARAGE30.NL

Nice work! In for more pics/vids

Comment

check this lil guy out

FOR RACE USE ONLY!This flex disc is for a 1983-1991 E30 BMW 3-series with an M50/M52/S50/S52 engine swap. It adapts the 96mm/12mm ZF transmission flange to the 78mm/10mm E30 driveshaft. It allows you to retain the oem 325i driveshaft when doing a 24v engine and ZF transmission swap. (Not compatible with the 4-cylinde

cool build meneer
      Build Threads:
      Pamela/Bella/Betty/325ix/5-Lug Seta/S60R/Miata ITB/Miata Turbo/Miata VVT/951/325xi-6

Comment

Originally posted by Julien View Post
        check this lil guy out

FOR RACE USE ONLY!This flex disc is for a 1983-1991 E30 BMW 3-series with an M50/M52/S50/S52 engine swap. It adapts the 96mm/12mm ZF transmission flange to the 78mm/10mm E30 driveshaft. It allows you to retain the oem 325i driveshaft when doing a 24v engine and ZF transmission swap. (Not compatible with the 4-cylinde

cool build meneer
        Haha thanks! I know about that part, also a good solution but not for the street.
        A OEM guibo will allow more flex, and doesn't require absolute perfect driveshaft alignment. I believe a bunch of those revshift discs have let go when people didn't get it right
        Euro car and parts export business based in the Netherlands, specialized in E30 Tourings!

Comment

Quick pull from today. Charging my gopro to film some more footy tomorrow!

Comment

How did your m20 respond to the BW 256? I can't get enough info for me to purchase one.

You had megasquirt and didn't setup boost protection? ))))))):

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

Originally posted by ak- View Post
              How did your m20 respond to the BW 256? I can't get enough info for me to purchase one.

You had megasquirt and didn't setup boost protection? ))))))):
              Well it was sweet, but I bought the one with the wrong compressor wheel. The 51mm one. The 56mm is obviously better, that is the one to buy. Still I liked it, I think it is a good size for a m20. I can't acces my old logs at the mo but I recall boost threshold being like 2400/2500 rpm. e85 and twin scroll though. It did not feel laggy at all but I had 3.91 gears and 2600 lbs. And I think the 56mm wheel pushes like 550 hp. And it is cheap. I think the full name is s200sx-56?

And I did have overboost protection. Set at 27 ish pounds. But if you know nothing and keep your foot to the floor it will build way more boost. I wasn't driving mind you.

Edit: it did 340 ft/lbs (flywheel I guess) at 3500 rpm on 7 psi. My only dyno run on low boost because of a dying coil :(
              Last edited by Garage30; 11-14-2015, 04:44 AM.

Comment

Quick clips from yesterday
                Last edited by Garage30; 11-18-2015, 01:48 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X