DRL Removal (The proper way)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't get it.
    What exactly is meant by daytime running light?
    Are you trying to add or remove it?
    what does it do?
    How is what you described

Originally posted by SamE30e View Post
    If all goes well your headlight switch should work like: position 1, all off. position 2, parking lights and interior lights. Position 3, headlights, parking lights and interior lights.
    Sam
    How is this any different than stock?

Comment

Canadian cars come with daytime running lights. It basically means your low beams have to be on during the day, so you have no control over them. I think it's because of all the retards who drive at night with their lights off because they're stupid as fuck.

Originally posted by LivingLegend06 View Post
      How is this any different than stock?
      It's not different from stock.. It is stock.. on cars without DRL's, which is the whole point of this.
      1985 325e 2.8 Turbo VEMS

Comment

well today I took apart my fusebox and I found out where that yel/green wire goes, but I found that it actually hooks up to....nothing?

I took some pics that ill post up where I found it, it was actually under the dash.

I would have hooked it up but I was afraid it might blow something. I wondered why my low beams would work even if it wasnt hooked up to anything. Anyone have insight how the relay would work even if the 86 pin (ground) would even work?
        Last edited by iignite; 04-21-2010, 07:37 PM.

Comment

I also checked that it the relay was resting in the OPEN position

Comment

pics would help alot
            90 E30 325i

Comment

sorry, I had work this whole week, didnt really have a chance to upload pics.

But this is what I found!!

I traced the wire back from the fusebox and it connected to this. Its located right by the steering column, where theres a bunch of connectors paired up together.

The wire was actually looped around and taped off along with the other set of wires

If you look from the light switch, there is another yel/grn wire that looks like it was "modified" from a dealer since there is a heatshrink around this wire and seems to be added on after the car was made.
              Im thinking that for Canadian cars, it was modified so taht this wire took the place of the taped wire.

Comment

now since this is the ground wire from the actual relay, how come the low beams still work?

Comment

Originally posted by iignite View Post
                  now since this is the ground wire from the actual relay, how come the low beams still work?
                  so the blue/yellow taped off wire is the ground from the low beam relay?

if that is the case, the low beam relay must have another ground. check if it doesnt split somewhere near the fusebox. or maybe the relay is different and is always on?
                  90 E30 325i

Comment

Because BMW uses a switched ground to turn the relay on.
                    1985 325e 2.8 Turbo VEMS

Comment

Originally posted by SamE30e View Post
                      Because BMW uses a switched ground to turn the relay on.
                      well I know it uses a switched ground to turn on the relay, but the ground is not grounded out.

if it was a switched through the ground, my low beams wouldnt work at all
                      Last edited by iignite; 04-25-2010, 03:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by guibo09 View Post
                        so the blue/yellow taped off wire is the ground from the low beam relay?

if that is the case, the low beam relay must have another ground. check if it doesnt split somewhere near the fusebox. or maybe the relay is different and is always on?
                        yes, from what I found, the yellow/green wire I found is the ground wire. Well im not too sure, it'll be easy to check the continuity from the actual relay ground prong to that wire.

As mentioned above, I also checked the relay and it is a regular 'normally open' switched relay.

Comment

yes, from what I found, the yellow/green wire I found is the ground wire. Well im not too sure, it'll be easy to check the continuity from the actual relay ground prong to that wire.

As mentioned above, I also checked the relay and it is a regular 'normally open' switched relay.
                          you're getting close to the solution. the relay has to be grounded somewhere for it to turn on the lows. it may be directly on the fusebox board as a trace or something.

if you pull the low beam fuse, do the lights turn off?
                          90 E30 325i

Comment

okay, i did a little more digging. I just tested that the pin itself is grounded somewhere. I did run a continuity test from the socket to the wire and it is true. I also tested from the wire to ground and also the socket to ground, and they all ended up true as well.

So maybe BMW did something from within the fusebox, but I think thats a little far fetched to do all that just for some makeshift DRL.

I still believe that I can just cut the wire straight from the fusebox and splice into the harness from the light switch, just dont have the balls to do it.

Comment

you have to kill the ground connection somehow. what bmw basically did was instead of grounding the relay through the green/yell wire and light switch, is they grounded it permanently. you can go ahead and connect the green/yell wire to the switch, but i dont think it will change anything as long as the relay is perma-grounded.
                              90 E30 325i

Comment

Originally posted by guibo09 View Post
                                you have to kill the ground connection somehow. what bmw basically did was instead of grounding the relay through the green/yell wire and light switch, is they grounded it permanently. you can go ahead and connect the green/yell wire to the switch, but i dont think it will change anything as long as the relay is perma-grounded.
                                Yes, i know that BMW grounded the circuit, but im trying to figure out where they grounded it out to.

one question for you though, when you push in your switch, do all the dash light go out? or do they stay on as well along with your low beams?

Comment

Working...
                                X