• Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to remove instrument cluster

Hi,

Here is the link to the procedure.

Have fun.

Just to note:

Steering wheel removal is not required. I pull clusters out all the time without removing steering wheel. I find it easier to slide it out toward the center of the car, pulling toward passenger side.
    Owner - Bavarian Restoration
    BMW and European Electronics Repair and Restoration
    www.BavRest.com
    My Feedback Thread
    Our Facebook!
    Follow our Instagram!

Comment

I find I slide it out, the flip it forwards and skew it out towards the passengers side... works everytime :)

Comment

It takes less than 1 minute to remove the steering wheel. The upper clips on the cluster are very fragile. Removing the wheel will give you more room to work with and less chance of breaking something from the cluster.

Comment

Originally posted by dnguyen1963 View Post
          It takes less than 1 minute to remove the steering wheel. The upper clips on the cluster are very fragile. Removing the wheel will give you more room to work with and less chance of breaking something from the cluster.
          That right there.
          Originally posted by codyep3
          I hope to Christ you have looks going for you, because you sure as fuck don't have any intelligence.
          2001 silver/Blk 325 cabby. SOLD
          1988 Blk/Blk e30 factory wide body kit car SOLD
          1992 DS/BLK 325 m-tech II apperance pack cabby SOLD!
          2002 325xit Sil/blk. SOLD
          2012 328i xdrive touring. Wht/blk. SOLD
          2009 135 cabby. monacoblue/blk leather SOLD
          2007 Z4m coupe. Silver grey/black/ aluminum. 1of50
          2010 F650gs twin
          2016 M235i cabby. Mineral grey/Red leather

Comment

Didn't know I had to turn those plastic screws 90 degrees. Wondered why I couldn't get them out.

Comment

The A-arms on the cluster are plenty strong enough if you pull them directly towards you, just make sure they dont get any adverse pressure or they will break. I haven't found it necessary to remove the wheel - I hit the left turn signal and slide it out face-down to the left
              1989 325is / 2.7, 274 cam, e30 M3 5-lug
              1989 LN106 Hilux / 3.0TD SFA
              1974 2002tii / stock
              2002 IS300 / 5spd LSD

Comment

my cluster was a bear to pull out.......it just seemed to hang on part of the dash..I could not really tell where. And when I did get it out guess what I witnessed...I had cracked the window !

is there a DIY on replacing the window of the cluster?...
                I love sitting down and just driving!

Comment

^yeah pry it off and glue a new one on or just set it there.
                  "I wanna see da boat movie"
                  "I got a tree on my house"

Comment

You don't have to take off the steering wheel. It comes out fairly skme without removing it.
                    But great DIY for someone that doesn't know.

Comment

too bad they didnt post a picture of where all the wires go :( I'm trying to figure out where the blue ones go.

Took it out a couple years ago should have put right back in and two color plugs broke off.

Comment

This was pretty helpful in removing cluster to service SI board.

I've run into some issues with the reinstall of cluster I'm wondering if anyone can help with?

I've got the cluster mounted in reverse directions as instructed in reference link, but the cluster and instrument panels do not seem to align correctly?

I'm getting a gap between the cluster and the 2 panels that are supposed to be reinstalled.

Some more pics to show the gap between cluster and panels, it is less than .5" of space.

Last edited by msjudged1; 01-20-2015, 05:10 PM.

Comment

Looks like I was able to get everything back in properly with realigning the cluster position within the dash.

Comment

I could not get the front bezel piece off. There is no room to tilt this out to remove it. It hangs up on the steering column.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by CB-M3 View Post
                              I could not get the front bezel piece off. There is no room to tilt this out to remove it. It hangs up on the steering column.
                              Take out the two knurled nuts on each side and push in the threads.

Comment

Working...
                              X