Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Magnaflow 23554 Discussion

Hey R3V exhaust folk-

Every set of headers I've purchased I have sold because I can't find a shop to build an affordable mid section in the midwest, let alone someone who wants to fabricate something to bolt up to a factory catback.

AND THEN, I stumbled upon the Magnaflow 23554, which is an E30 M20b25 cat section that comes in two sections- downpipe and midpipe. AKA, it's a perfect solution for those who want to run headers but don't want to build a full exhaust, and still want to bolt up to a stock catback.

A shop could easily just run a 2-1 Y into the Magnaflow cat section and wallah, you've got a simple, efficient, 48 state (maybe a few less) legal E30 exhaust that sounds great and is efficient with just a few welds required that bolts up to a stock catback.

Anyway, I'm going to do this over winter, so I wanted to post it here as a fairly decent solution to the "I want headers but don't want a $1500 custom exhaust" debacle.

The 23554 is only $270 cost (around $425 retail), which is more than fair when considering your other option is buying a cat and then having an entire exhaust fabricated, and then losing the ability to bolt on a standard E30 catback system.

Edit: just bought one on Amazon Prime for $217, if you're looking for a deal.

Last edited by AWDBOB; 07-20-2019, 06:00 PM.
    1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
    1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Anyone charging you $1500 for labor to fab an exhaust is ripping you off.

I had a complete system for my 24v car put together using scraps from an E36 exhaust for $300. It needed some massaging after, but this was tip to tail, at bay area prices.

The main thing this gets you is a reasonable interface between the cat section and stock-type E30 catbacks, but you can also achieve that with a foot of 1.75" pipe, two flanges, and two sealing rings.
    cars beep boop

Comment

I am unfortunately well aware. The shops that do quality exhaust work out here charge $200/hr for anything stainless welding related plus a premium markup on materials. If you've got a good exhaust shop, this most certainly does not benefit you, but if you do not (like me), this is a bargain!

When I lived outside of Philly I had endless resources- JMFab was 15 minutes away and would fab anything I needed for what felt like next to nothing. Indiana is weird....most of it is wild wild west, fluxcore touting, hillbilly madness, but if quality is what you seek you enter the upper echelon of "I own a tig and therefore own you".
      1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
      1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

Working...
      X