Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dented and scuffed pistons

Hi all,

I recently bought a set of M54b30 pistons as part of my stroker build from a workshop interstate. When I opened up the box I noticed that the pistons were not wrapped and as a result we knocking into each other. Are these pistons ok to run? I have contacted the seller but also want a second opinion.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9427.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	7255364Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9431.jpg
Size:	34.4 KB
ID:	7255365Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9429.jpg
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	7255366

The block is going to be cleaned honed and prepped professionally so I’m hesitant in just throwing in a set of pistons.

Thanks in advance

They are trashed.

Comment

Thanks R3z3n,

The seller said that they can sand it down with 40 grit sandpaper? But wouldn’t that mean that the piston to wall clearance will not be the same and I could have some shallow spots on the piston skirt? I think I might be answering my own questions here but I’m no expert.

Comment

40?! Hell naw.
        Originally posted by kronus
        would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

Thanks Agent.

Is sanding an option here, if done right?

Or is it best just to get another set?

Comment

I'll defer to the proficient engine builders here, though my gut says new set.

I do know that 40 grit is about as rough a grade of sandpaper as there is. I used 120 to remove paint from a car, but it's too rough for body work repairs since it leaves visible marks. A Magic Eraser is somewhere in the neighborhood of 2000 grit.
            Originally posted by kronus
            would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

Thanks again Agent,

Yeah, I’ll see if any of the proficient engine builders have any input otherwise I’ll just get a new set, don’t want everything failing just because I ignored something that I could of fix now.

Comment

Send them back.

If You had to run them you could file the high spots with a fine small file and use 240/320 to smooth them further locally but any on the ring lands are toast as they will have damaged the grooves
                89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Thanks digger,

Will do.

And thanks again to everyone, mad appreciated!

Comment

Get your money back? Seller obviously incompetent or DNGAF

Comment

Working...
                    X