Mercedes W123 M30 swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mercedes W123 M30 swap

After driving a Mercedes W123 240d 4 speed for almost 10 years, I have decided it's time to swap in an engine with more power. (stock 67HP / 113 ft/lbs) I like the M30 for its power, reliability, and availability.
    I need to know what is the bare minimum to get the M30 to run. I want to use motronic because it's what is most available. I know early M30s came with carbs and conventional distributors, but sourcing those bits for cheap won't be easy. I know I'll need the harness and DME, but don't know what inputs the DME absolutely requires to run.
    So being as my Mercedes only has 12vdc from the ignition, No high pressure fuel pump. or any electronic speed sensor. What will it take to get the M30 to run in the benzo?

Probably not much. If you pull a complete M30 with a complete harness and ECU, I bet it would swap in fairly easily. As long as your fuel pump can deliver 3bar of pressure, you'd be OK on that front. Everything else is 12V, though you may have some wiring tricks to handle when it comes to gauges.

Comment

My brother has been actually contemplating this same swap... I would be interested in seeing your swap process. Best of luck.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	CAM00188-1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	116.8 KB
ID:	7184452

Click image for larger version

Name:	FB_IMG_1432206100533-1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	21.7 KB
ID:	7184453

Some pics of my w123 and my 87 E30 M60B40. I'll start looking for an M30 at the local junkyards next week, and post my findings and prices.

Comment

Why not stuff a m103 power plant in th w123?

Comment

M103 would be awesome in a w123

Comment

Originally posted by bbs_s52 View Post
              M103 would be awesome in a w123
              Of course,,,, oem and the best IL6 12v engine EVER made,, it is sweet as silk ,,

and can make,, and TAKE a lot more abuse vs M30,,, even with auto tranny it makes between 600+ easily

just for your info,, here is a link to the guys that know ,, perhaps ,,,most about these cars and engines

it is stunning how this was made back in the days,,, unreal strong in every way

Sveinbjörn Hrafnsson

E30 CABRIO V12 M70B50 ///
              ALPINA B10 BITURBO 346 @ 507
              E34 550 V12 JML

Finnish wisdom : If you want to Win,, hire a Finn

http://alpina.123.is/pictures/

Comment

Working...
              X