Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just another 325IX repair thread (Now with more TURBO!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That seems like more work. I want plug and play parts. no custom machining...

I'm leaning towards going with the 2.5 since I have all of the parts here already. This is going to be a budget build.

In other news the voltage regulator on the car died and I had to push it 1/2 a mile home. That was fun. We almost made it home too!
    325IX Build Thread
    RX7 Build Thread

Comment

Missed the milestone on my way home...oops! I like to take a picture every 1000 miles and check the timestamps to compare how much I've driven.

Laid out the motor to be boosted. Slowly but surely I'll purchase bearings and piston rings etc. Any thing in particular to check on the M20s? I have only built rotary engines in the past so I have no idea what I'm looking for when it comes to these.

Last but not least I got new roundels for the center caps. Best $10 spent so far!

before...

pried off the old roundels

and all done!

325IX Build Thread
      RX7 Build Thread

Comment

Been driving the car daily. It's got some sort of alternator issue...When I start it, my ABS light will stay on because the relay wont click. The light will go out after 3800 RPM, and my lights will light up a bit. Seems like the alternator doesnt start workign till I give it a quick blip when starting up. Sooooo weird. Runs fine afterwards!
        325IX Build Thread
        RX7 Build Thread

Comment

325IX Build Thread
          RX7 Build Thread

Comment

Keep up the good word..Sub'd
            1993 BMW 850ci factory 6 speed
            1992 Honda Civic Hatch, built B16, turbo, and nitrous
            1989 BMW 325i, f20c swap
            1989 Honda CRX, built LS/vtec, turbo, and nitrous

Comment

I'm very frustrated. I've been trying to read up on stroking this spare engine and I cant seem to come to a conclusion on what will work. Finding a SETA is proving to be difficult on my budget. This is a turbo application so I dont need anything super high compression here. I'm a bit worried about trying to use a M50 crank due to the spacer requirement. I wouldnt know where to find one. Then I still need to get a set of 2.7 130mm rods.

I have access to a cheap 325e motor so I could acquire the crank, and rods.....the question is can I use the 325i pistons and call it a day? With my budget, and plan it might make more sense to just keep the stock 2.5 bottom end.

On a good note, the car has been running great. I just took the steering wheel out to send to stitched for recovery!
              Last edited by driftxsequence; 01-29-2017, 09:10 PM.
              325IX Build Thread
              RX7 Build Thread

Comment

You can use the eta crank and rods with the 325i pistons. I think that gives you like a 9.4:1 compression ratio or something like that. If you're rebuilding the engine its not going to cost much more to stroke it to a 2.7 so I'd just go a head and do it.
                My Garage
                2001 Z3 2.5i Steel Gray/Black (Lexi)
                1988 325ix Diamond Schwartz/Black (Izzy)
                1989 325i Cirrus Blue/Houndstooth (Stitch)
                Feedback

Instagram: Stone.Hopkins

Comment

Turbo M20 parts list:
                  Find Stock 325ix block [acquired]
                  Find Stock 325i 2.5 rotating assembly [acquired]
                  Buy Stock manifold turbo adapter [acquired]
                  Buy piston ring kit
                  Buy bearing set
                  Buy MLS headgasket
                  Buy arp rod bolts (suggested)
                  Buy 460cc RX7 injectors
                  Buy air to water intercooler (in an attempt to keep AC)
                  Buy clutch kit
                  Buy Megasquirt PNP

to-do list
                  Clean block [done]
                  Disassemble, clean and rebuild head
                  Inspect rotating assembly for wear
                  Drink Jager [done]

Mother Nature wasnt too kind, but it was the only chance to get it done so I took a bath with my block today. *Note the canopy was broken :(

The block cleaned up really well, I patted it down dry and then rubbed some vaseline on the bores. The cross hatching was still pretty visible. Do you guys think it needs honed?

oil shaft bearings look good I think...

This is a pretty sight....and if it doesnt fit...we'll make it fit!

325IX Build Thread
                  RX7 Build Thread

Comment

One step at a time...

325IX Build Thread
                    RX7 Build Thread

Comment

turbo

Where did you get the turbo manifold? Will be watching this project!!!
                      jm

Comment

Found mine used
                        325IX Build Thread
                        RX7 Build Thread

Comment

thanks,

Will have to watch to see if I want to do this to my ix...really like the way you are putting in pictures for every step of the engine build..
                          thanks,
                          jm

Comment

Thanks! Comments like that make it feel like worthwhile taking the time to document and post this stuff. I appreciate it.

Based on this picture, the runner should fit NO problem in relation to the shock tower. Also, the Evo turbo I plan on running spins opposite of standard turbos which should put it closer to the block than the shock tower.

Last edited by driftxsequence; 02-14-2017, 04:44 PM.
                            325IX Build Thread
                            RX7 Build Thread

Comment

pictures don't work

Looks like you are sending half a picture:). nevermind; now it works:)
                              jm

Comment

New tank! Hopefully this allows me to finally pass inspection...Rock auto has them for an amazing price

325IX Build Thread
                                RX7 Build Thread

Comment

Working...
                                X