• Show
Clear All

nice score!
    1990 325is
    m52b28
    3.73lsd
    g260 (1987 325is 5spd tranny)

Comment

DealinDave was also selling them a few months ago, something like $1250 for a new dash and everyone got pissed because everyone here is cheap and driving hoopties held together by zipties.
      sigpic
      1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
      1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
      1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Comment

Originally posted by McGyver View Post
        DealinDave was also selling them a few months ago, something like $1250 for a new dash and everyone got pissed because everyone here is cheap and driving hoopties held together by zipties.

And they weren’t even making money that was cost. BMW just keeps raising the prices of parts for these old cars. Every time they sell out it goes NLA for a few months and then comes back with a 20-30% increase in price for no reason.

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
        1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
        Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
        Mtech 2 turbo restoration
        Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

Yup, that's what happens. They are currently NLA with no dates announced to restart production.
          Drive it hard. Maintain it well.

Convertible Technical & Discussion
          A Topless Memorandum

Comment

Originally posted by mr2peak View Post
            Yup, that's what happens. They are currently NLA with no dates announced to restart production.

Its really annoying and really only hurts BMW. It opens the door for aftermarket companies to come in and make a quality product but half the cost and take all their sales. Yet BMW says they are going to be supporting the older models more but clearly just want the money from them.

1991 318i 4dr slick top

Comment

Not quite. While I'm no fan of BMW I have to defend them here and say I think you misunderstand production and supply/demand a bit. First of all, just because a part has been made before doesn't mean producing more merely costs material and factory time. Molds and tooling wear out, and anyone remotely familiar with production knows that stuff is really expensive. That cost has to be paid off, a company doesn't exist to lose money pleasing forum users. If you make stuff with old worn out molds and tooling quality suffers and then you guys would be complaining about that. Also, as the cars become less common there is less demand for parts so the cost of the new tooling and production has to be spread out over fewer parts, and price goes up significantly. Molds and production for something like a one piece dashboard are worse, the part is fairly complex and very large, the production of it isn't simple and shares no parts with any other item. The sales volume for a new dashboard has to be quite small by an auto parts standard too, the part is E30 specific and even then only to a small fraction of the cars out there will have it replaced over whatever period BMW's business end would like to see the production cost paid off.

Originally posted by McGyver View Post
              Well of course most people weren't happy with that price. It's ridiculous to spend 1/2-1/4 of your car's cost on a dash which only needs replacing for Vanity's sake in most people's eyes.

IG @turbovarg
              '91 318is, M20 turbo
              [CoTM: 4-18]
              '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
              - updated 1-26

Comment

its a shame we don't have aftermarket support like the american made 60's muscle.

the mustang is a good case study. i'm pretty sure you can build the entire car with aftermarket parts if you have enough money
                sigpic
                Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
                92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
                88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
                88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
                87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
                12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

truth. good look finding e30 floor pan sheet metal.
                  I BUY/SELL REFURBISHED CM5907s & CM5908s

HOWTOs:
                  DB vert plastic bumpers
                  OEM Keys
                  MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                  91 ic Calypso 3.1
                  86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

reelizmpro: I will always be an e30 guy.. I still do all of my own labor
                  TrentW: There's just something so right about a well-built M20 in an E30
                  e30m3s54turbo: I save my money for tuner parts.

Comment

Originally posted by varg View Post
                    Not quite. While I'm no fan of BMW I have to defend them here and say I think you misunderstand production and supply/demand a bit. First of all, just because a part has been made before doesn't mean producing more merely costs material and factory time. Molds and tooling wear out, and anyone remotely familiar with production knows that stuff is really expensive. That cost has to be paid off, a company doesn't exist to lose money pleasing forum users. If you make stuff with old worn out molds and tooling quality suffers and then you guys would be complaining about that. Also, as the cars become less common there is less demand for parts so the cost of the new tooling and production has to be spread out over fewer parts, and price goes up significantly. Molds and production for something like a one piece dashboard are worse, the part is fairly complex and very large, the production of it isn't simple and shares no parts with any other item. The sales volume for a new dashboard has to be quite small by an auto parts standard too, the part is E30 specific and even then only to a small fraction of the cars out there will have it replaced over whatever period BMW's business end would like to see the production cost paid off.

Well of course most people weren't happy with that price. It's ridiculous to spend 1/2-1/4 of your car's cost on a dash which only needs replacing for Vanity's sake in most people's eyes.

I agree about cost of manufacturing but at some point the cost will be so high no one will buy them and just use an alternative. So they will just have them on the shelf for ever. The popularity of these old BMW’s have sky rocketed. So much so some of the dealerships are hiring techs with classic car experience to handle the customers that bring them in. If this is the case then you would think they would be trying to make as many parts as they can and try and keep cost down as they grow in popularity but they are just milking it for all its worth because they know the aftermarket world of stock parts is very small for these cars.

1991 318i 4dr slick top

Comment

Got really lucky and managed to score a brand new Zender evo spoiler. Never thought that these are made out of rubber like material, considering the size and weight.

Finally managed to get the pics properly uploaded...

I have a new flap with it too, but it has what looks like a crack in the middle. It doesn't go all the way through, shows just on one side. Not sure if its a factory defect or got damaged at some point

Last edited by Mustachio; 12-03-2017, 06:28 PM.

Comment

just get the the photobucket hotlink fix, for chrome and firefox, pics are now working
                        1990 325is
                        m52b28
                        3.73lsd
                        g260 (1987 325is 5spd tranny)

Comment

Originally posted by ThatOneEuroE30 View Post
                          I agree about cost of manufacturing but at some point the cost will be so high no one will buy them and just use an alternative. So they will just have them on the shelf for ever. The popularity of these old BMW’s have sky rocketed. So much so some of the dealerships are hiring techs with classic car experience to handle the customers that bring them in. If this is the case then you would think they would be trying to make as many parts as they can and try and keep cost down as they grow in popularity but they are just milking it for all its worth because they know the aftermarket world of stock parts is very small for these cars.
                          They aren't as popular or as common as you'd think sitting on a BMW forum, and the market will bear the high prices as the cars become less common and more collectible. They aren't gouging, they're going for a supply/demand equilibrium. Going with the dashboard as that's a good example, collectors with $20,000 E30s will spend $1,000+ on a new dash to have that perfect look, r3v posters with $5,000 E30s will wince at $500 and can't be pleased. If you produce enough of them that you'd make a decent profit selling them all at half the price, you'll probably never sell them all and your surplus inventory will be taking up warehouse space and deteriorating indefinitely.

IG @turbovarg
                          '91 318is, M20 turbo
                          [CoTM: 4-18]
                          '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
                          - updated 1-26

Comment

^ this

HOWTOs:
                            DB vert plastic bumpers
                            OEM Keys
                            MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                            91 ic Calypso 3.1
                            86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

Just depends on the part i think. People would buy door seals cause just about every one of these cars needs them but at 300 a side. That wont happen

1991 318i 4dr slick top

Comment

^ also this lol

I think we would all love to see a classic car aftermarket like what exists for chevy ford mopar etc. Those markets are much bigger in the US than the E30 market ever will be.

So I guess it's really up to German aftermarket providers to deliver in sufficient volume to get us the unit pricing we all want. Even if that does happen though, OEM prices will keep growing to serve the wealthy collectors that can afford them.

Not to mention they'll have a lot more coin in their pocket now to dedicate to this stuff. Start buying real estate lol

HOWTOs:
                                DB vert plastic bumpers
                                OEM Keys
                                MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                                91 ic Calypso 3.1
                                86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

Working...
                                X