Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'88 is AutoX/Hillclimb/Trackday car

Howdy all!

I just bought an 88 325is that I plan to build into an autoX/hillclimb/trackday car over the next few years as I phase out Frank, my 78 Saab 99T.

I've been looking around for a new project and came across this one while bicycling to work, just happened to catch the owner coming out and asked about it, ended up picking it up for $1200.

Well maintained by the best local Indy, 164K miles. Paint and interior are rough because it always lived outside. Been watching for a 'For Sale' sign for a few years...

Going to mull engine ideas for a while, but basically start by getting the suspension sorted as put together by Bishop
    Then upgrade the suspension (Coil-overs vs. spring/shock alone), Wheels/tires, Brakes (if needed?), all before I touch the engine.

Gotta say, I'm liking the idea of a Turbo'd 2.7 stroker...

John
    Boise, ID
    Attached Files
    Last edited by 99Super; 12-12-2017, 03:01 PM.

welcome to the forum

seems like too nice of a car to abuse in that way. i don't think it looks very ratty at all. trust me, i seen many many times worse.

can't you buy a honda or subaru for that? i can also say with relative assurance that a day will come that you will regret making this car into a beater.

not judging but i usually name my cars with girl names. lol.
    sigpic
    Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
    92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
    88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
    88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
    87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
    12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

Nice, looks like a great start. Bogus Basin Hill-Climb in your future?
      ADAMS Autosport

Comment

flyboyx: My wife named it "FrankenSaab" when I first built it in '93-4, then GRM used it when they wrote a sidebar about the car. It sort of stuck after that but just got shortened to Frank. An ugly, mean, overweight monster. I think the chassis, pass door, trunk lid and body wiring are about the only original peices left.

SkiFree: Bogus is no more.

I ran Bogus nearly every year since '96, but with the change over from a winter-only ski hill to all-season resort meant that the manager could make more money off Weddings than Hillclimbs. Add in a really horrific crash last year and that was it. Bye-Bye Bogus.

I still will run Freezeout (about 20 miles away), and I will continue to terrorize the bicyclists on Bogus Basin Road, but now I have to travel further to get my hillclimb fixes...

I'm not looking to start chopping up the is yet! I do want to make it look more presentable. The paint/clearcoat is faded, the dash is cracked, the leather on the wheel is worn through, the 1 leather Recaro is shot, the driver's seat is replaced by a "comfort" (?) seat, the rear leather is shot. I do have a pair of red Recaro LS's I may throw in to it. A beater it will not be!
        Subaru...
        Attached Files

Comment

Agree, not too bad. Paint looks ok, interior need some work, seats and cracked dash. Great bones there though.

Comment

Welcome new person, remember to search before asking.

Don't forget to get good tires as soon as you have addressed lingering maintenance issues.

Comment

Thanks for the Welcome!

I had a whole reply I posted earlier today, but it never went through, I guess.

Anyway, flyboyx, my wife named it. Then, that was the title of the sidebar in GRM, then it got shortened to just 'Frank'. I've been running the car since '94. This car is neither a he nor she. It's an It.

I didn't know they were worth all that, they seem somewhat common around here. I know some local guys had been eying it but after asking around for a while and getting opinions, the E30 always came up as the sweetest, most tuneable chassis. I'm lucky this one fell in my lap!

I certainly don't plan to make it a beater, if I did that to my cars, Frank wouldn't be 23 years old! But we'll discuss more about cosmetics, I do want it to look good. The side in the photo is the re-sprayed side, the rest of the car is faded.

All the leather, including the wheel and shift boot, is worn out, dash is cracked, door cards are damaged, air dam is missing. The driver's Recaro was replaced by a "comfort"(?) seat. I do have Frank's old red Recaro LS's I could drop in. But, as was said, good bones. Not a spec of rust, regular maint.

SkiFree, Bogus is no more. The Manager decided they could make more money holding weddings that weekend. A really nasty crash last year sealed it. I think my first race there was in '96.
              Freezeout is close and we are working on possible others.

The guy who kicks my butt at every event in SMF has a crazy twin-charged CRX and Scoobies
              Just not for me..
              I just like European cars better.

Frank:
              Attached Files
              Last edited by 99Super; 12-09-2017, 02:53 PM.

Comment

Welcome Saab John! Glad you you made it.

Let me know if you need any help, I'm not at IPS any longer, but Bryce has my number or you can PM me for it.

Mike

Originally posted by SkiFree View Post
                Nice, looks like a great start. Bogus Basin Hill-Climb in your future?
                Unfortunately they are cancelling the Bogus hill climb. Some friends that do it mentioned some bad apples being dip wads the last few years as the reason.

Comment

I thought it was still on next years schedule? I'll have to go back and check now..

Saw your SAAB at the last Maryhill I think - I had my old PRO3 car out there (though we had a headgasket failure on the M30 we threw in it and it was smoking like a BBQ grille the whole way up the hill..)
                  1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
                  2016 Ford Flex
                  2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

88 325is - Future Hillclimb/Track Day Car

Originally posted by djjerme View Post
                    I thought it was still on next years schedule? I'll have to go back and check now..

Saw your SAAB at the last Maryhill I think - I had my old PRO3 car out there (though we had a headgasket failure on the M30 we threw in it and it was smoking like a BBQ grille the whole way up the hill..)

Holy Cow! I thought it was gone for good this time! Another chance to get under 2:00!

Cool tread, I like the pic of you and Charles! Yeah, I talked to you for a few minutes on Sat...? I like the PRO 3 cars, but no wheel-to-wheel for this car, too nice. It will start next season as an Auto-X'r and move up from there...

Mike, You left IPS? Well, I still have your Bentley and obviously need to order one of my own. Bryce did give me your number. I'll be in touch about the manual!

Saab John
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by 99Super; 12-12-2017, 03:04 PM.

Comment

No rush on the Bentley, I just got done with uni and it will take me a while before I'll be working on my e30. couple months I should say.

I can't wait to see what you do this this car. Glad you're the one that picked it up.

Comment

1st Suggestion, download the Electrical Diagram PDF for your car. Also, start memorizing the production month of your car... your car still has diving boards but is listed as an '88... so you are in a mid generation era where you'll have a ton of mixes in parts. I deal with the same thing. I have a March 1987 Production 325iS with Motronic 1.1 and a 55L fuel tank. So understand that portion of your car.

NEXT, OIL PAN BAFFLE AND CRANK SCRAPER!

Then, poly bushings. Also, you'll fight tons of SPECE30 guys over the front iS air-damn, but if you keep your diving boards, there are tons of people who always love getting rid of diving board parts.

BavRest is the place to go for AFMs and Cluster work.

Once you know about your car, the fuel tank size will dictate what coding plug you need for your Cluster and the on board computer. Fuel gauge is also fuel tank size dependent. So if you need parts and you find a late model M20 car... be careful before getting rid of your old stuff if you're still on Motronic 1.1 and have a 55L tank.

Oh the joys of having one of the few early M20b25 325iS cars...
                        Paynemw
                        1986 Toyota 4Runner SR5 - Sold!
                        the ebb and flow of 325is ownership - In RVA
                        1988 BMW 535is - RIP but my dream BMW

Comment

Working...
                        X