Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If I dont have a charcoal cannister, do I need to substitute?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If I dont have a charcoal cannister, do I need to substitute?

I dont have a charcoal canister. Do I need to plug the line or can I lead it to a DIY type filter or pick up an ebay filter and rebuild it?

If I just plug the source of the line from the throttle body, can I make an assumption these fuel vapors will just burn off?

You can cap the nipple at the TB.

Do not cap the other line or leave the valve unplugged. Zip tie the line/valve to a low point on the car and expect some fuel vapors once in a while.

Unless your filter is rusted to bits you could refill it, or just replace it with anther similar unit.

Comment

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post
      You can cap the nipple at the TB.

Do not cap the other line or leave the valve unplugged. Zip tie the line/valve to a low point on the car and expect some fuel vapors once in a while.

Unless your filter is rusted to bits you could refill it, or just replace it with anther similar unit.
      Good input, and I would leave it open.

Previous owner chucked the can and just left the line open. Its been fine thus far but it probably would be smart to complete the system. I noticed theres a connector for the PCV, it throw a code?

Comment

Originally posted by jaredmac11 View Post
        Good input, and I would leave it open.

Previous owner chucked the can and just left the line open. Its been fine thus far but it probably would be smart to complete the system. I noticed theres a connector for the PCV, it throw a code?
        i had mine disconnected for 2 years and never had a check engine light on my m20. not sure about m42 if that's what you have though

1989 Coupe build thread: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=312012
        IG: @mitchlikesbikes

Comment

I don't recall if it will cause a CEL to disconnect the valve, but it's certainly more ecologically friendly to connect it to the TB.

Comment

I agree. I dont drive the car as a daily but it would be good to properly manage the fumes.

OOC, is there a cheaper, non BMW charcoal canister I can find? I would really like to get one that isnt 20+ years old but its hard to find a generic one that suits the right purpose.

Not sure if anyone has successfully used one not from the specific car.

Comment

Go to the wreckers and look around.

Comment

None of my E30s have them.
                Cap the port at the engine, if there is a solenoid take it off and throw it in a box.
                Take a small filter and put it on the line from the fuel tank.
                If I remember right there is some kind of yard appliance fuel filter that plugs right in to the line. I'll see if I can remember / find wat I used.
                I never have fuel vapors that I notice.

The filters I have used on the fuel tank vapor outlet look like these.

I'm a stickler about the only air going in to my engines is through the airbox inlet.
                Jimmy P.
                87 E30 M3 Prodrive British Touring Car
                88 E30 M3 Zinnoberot - Garage Queen
                88 E30 M3 Lachsilber - SCCA SPU #98
                92 M Technic Cabrio - S14 Powered!
                98 318Ti Morea Green
                04 Ford F350 Dually Tow Machine

Comment

Working...
                X