No announcement yet.

Codym42's M52 318is UPDATE: Added a ZHP to the collection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I will finally get the car back from the exhaust shop tomorrow. I'm so excited!! I noticed the check engine light was on when I first drove it but I couldn't really tell what was going on because of how loud it was (open headers). The shop reports that the CEL is still on and the car has a misfire. I'm guessing a coil pack is bad because the ones in it are dated 1997...lol. The coils are one of the few things I didn't replace on it, along with the VANOS.
    '90 325i - 5 speed coupe
    '05 330ci 6MT ZHP

Comment

Great use of z3 parts! My e30 has also made use of my z3 parts bin, but you’ve taken it to another level.

I’d been trying to confirm whether the Kamotors CAI canister would fit between the m42 expansion tank and the ABS unit. Looks like it does?
      sigpic
      January 2012 COTM

Comment

Originally posted by robrez View Post
        Great use of z3 parts! My e30 has also made use of my z3 parts bin, but you’ve taken it to another level.

I’d been trying to confirm whether the Kamotors CAI canister would fit between the m42 expansion tank and the ABS unit. Looks like it does?
        Thanks!

The CAI is sitting above the ABS unit. Kind of resting on the expansion tank and one of the brake lines if I remember right. I used the included bracket and bolted it to the ABS mount on the chassis.
        '90 325i - 5 speed coupe
        '05 330ci 6MT ZHP

Comment

Originally posted by Codym42 View Post
          Thanks!

The CAI is sitting above the ABS unit. Kind of resting on the expansion tank and one of the brake lines if I remember right. I used the included bracket and bolted it to the ABS mount on the chassis.
          Ok thanks, I didn’t realize your canister is above the ABS unit. It looks so clean, I wish I could fit the Kamotors cai with my set-up. Maybe I’ll try to change the angle of my afm.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by robrez; 02-05-2018, 02:32 PM.
          sigpic
          January 2012 COTM

Comment

Originally posted by robrez View Post
            Ok thanks, I didn’t realize your canister is above the ABS unit. It looks so clean, I wish I could fit the Kamotors cai with my set-up. Maybe I’ll try to change the angle of my afm.
            Oh, I see your problem now! I don't think it will fit...looks a little tight in there.

Love that setup though!

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
            '90 325i - 5 speed coupe
            '05 330ci 6MT ZHP

Comment

I finally got the car home from the exhaust shop AKA Markert Motor Works. There were some hang ups getting the downpipes from their vendor but overall I am very satisfied with the work they did. The exhaust turned out great and sounds good! They even sourced a Magnaflow tip that looks nice on the car and did the alignment as well.

In case you missed it, I'm running a Vibrant ultra quiet resonator, Magnaflow catalytic converter, and a Magnaflow muffler. Part numbers can be found a few posts up.

005 by cdygrubbs, on Flickr
              002 by cdygrubbs, on Flickr
              003 by cdygrubbs, on Flickr
              009 by cdygrubbs, on Flickr
              010 by cdygrubbs, on Flickr

Markert told me there was a misfire but I decided to tackle this fix by myself. I wired up an OBD2 port in the glovebox and scanned it. I had a misfire on cylinder 3 and 5. I replaced both of those ignition coils and cylinder 3 still had a misfire. The injector wasn't working properly so I swapped it out for one of the originals.

After fixing the misfire, the car runs so good. I can't believe how fast it is!!

E30 build post-exhaust 002 by cdygrubbs, on Flickr
              E30 build post-exhaust 001 by cdygrubbs, on Flickr
              E30 build post-exhaust 003 by cdygrubbs, on Flickr

I wired in my reverse light. It didn't work and I spent a couple hours on it, testing wires, only to find my reverse switch was bad...

011 by cdygrubbs, on Flickr

New high pressure and pump to reservoir power steering lines were installed today to replace the leaking junkyard hoses.

012 by cdygrubbs, on Flickr

I installed the harness covers too! The passenger side m3 cover was a tight fit.

013 by cdygrubbs, on Flickr
              Last edited by Codym42; 02-11-2018, 05:36 PM.
              '90 325i - 5 speed coupe
              '05 330ci 6MT ZHP

Comment

Looking good! Would love to see this in person someday! Lemme know if you are planning to go to any Cars & Coffee / mountain runs anytime soon! Wouldnt mind getting out and taking mine for a spin with someone else!

Comment

Did Dave reflash the ECU too? You're going to love the M52. I loved my setup and fight temptations to get another one. S52 cams will really wake it up, but even without you will love the balance of the square M52 motor and aluminum block too
                  Simon
                  Current Cars:
                  -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by ATL_E30 View Post
                    Looking good! Would love to see this in person someday! Lemme know if you are planning to go to any Cars & Coffee / mountain runs anytime soon! Wouldnt mind getting out and taking mine for a spin with someone else!
                    Definitely! I've got a few more things to fix and I should be able to make it to C&O in the next few months.

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                    Did Dave reflash the ECU too? You're going to love the M52. I loved my setup and fight temptations to get another one. S52 cams will really wake it up, but even without you will love the balance of the square M52 motor and aluminum block too
                    My friend Blake reflashed the ECU. And actually, I did find a set of s52 cams I'm trying to buy. But honestly, after sorting out the coils and injector, this thing is much faster than I expected. Puts a smile on my face every time I drive it.
                    Last edited by Codym42; 02-12-2018, 07:12 PM.
                    '90 325i - 5 speed coupe
                    '05 330ci 6MT ZHP

Comment

Originally posted by Codym42 View Post
                      My friend Blake reflashed the ECU. And actually, I did find a set of s52 cams I'm trying to buy. But honestly, after sorting out the coils and injector, this thing is much faster than I expected. Puts a smile on my face every time I drive it.
                      Just get them if they are a good price/ condition. The price keeps going up on them and eventually you will get used to the M52 power and want more. Im guessing you are in the ~230-240bhp range now. Its amazing what a flash does
                      Simon
                      Current Cars:
                      -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Great work. Thanks for detailing the build.
                        1991 318iC
                        1989 325i Field Rescue

Comment

I did several things on the e30 this weekend. I had my skid plate welded up and modified to go from m42 to m52.

E30 update 2-18-18 002 by cdygrubbs, on Flickr
                          E30 update 2-18-18 006 by cdygrubbs, on Flickr
                          E30 update 2-18-18 009 by cdygrubbs, on Flickr

I also found out why my Spal fan didn't work anymore. For some reason the fuse melted....

IMG_20180217_112602572_HDR (2) by cdygrubbs, on Flickr

Found some coolant on the trans brace. My carpet is wet behind the seat but it doesn't smell like coolant. Any ideas?
                          E30 update 2-18-18 007 by cdygrubbs, on Flickr

Also, how do I reset the inspection light? I jumped the pins in the obd1 port but it only reset the oil lights.

IMG_20180218_162715252 by cdygrubbs, on Flickr

And today, I sold my 325i automatic. It was a good driving car, just needed some more work. I just didn't have a need for it. A forum member who lives in Savannah contacted me yesterday and we met up today in Milledgeville. He bought it for his wife. It should be a great car for them.

Here is a picture I took yesterday after topping off the fluids and cleaning her up for her last journey in my ownership.

IMG_20180217_182512138 by cdygrubbs, on Flickr
                          '90 325i - 5 speed coupe
                          '05 330ci 6MT ZHP

Comment

Well, not a huge update here but... I got the washer bottle hooked back up and discovered its leaking in the hood somewhere. It's probably the plastic t connector/check valve.

Also, I was finally able to reset my inspection light on the cluster. I couldn't figure out why the oil lights would reset but not the inspection. I remembered that my Mazda Protege did weird things when I left my bluetooth OBD2 scanner plugged in. On that car, it would automatically lock the doors I pulled the scanner out of the E30 and tried the jumper wire again, and voila... inspection light is reset!
                            '90 325i - 5 speed coupe
                            '05 330ci 6MT ZHP

Comment

Its been a few months since I made an update. The M52 has been running great. I swapped out the Dinan throttle body for the original OBD2 throttle body. Its a lot smoother and easier to drive. May have been better with a custom tune but this is fine for now.

Also, I couldn't figure out why the car wouldn't idle. It turns out my ICV hose to the intake boot was ripped because it was the wrong length and I kind of forced it to work. I have a new non-ASC ICV hose to install but its rigged right now and works ok. I originally thought the problems was O2 sensors and replaced those. Not too happy about spending over $100 for those but at least that gets rid of the old ones that I pulled from a junk e39 haha.

I've done some other work to the car as you'll see below.

EuEx in Savannah is next weekend. I'll be there with the car and hopefully will get some cool pictures. It seems like a lot of guys are going to The Vintage this year but hopefully there will be some other e30s. Either way, it'll be a good time. Those VW guys get rowdy. Burnouts is all I'm gonna say lol.

I wrapped the lip in the 3m protective film. It was difficult but turned out decent enough.
                              e30 is lip 002 by cdygrubbs, on Flickr
                              e30 is lip 010 by cdygrubbs, on Flickr

I picked up a set of used s52 camshafts. They have a little wear on the intake cam but not too bad.

e30 update 017 by cdygrubbs, on Flickr
                              e30 update 019 by cdygrubbs, on Flickr

Fun in the Kroger parking lot.
                              IMG_20180227_204310161 by cdygrubbs, on Flickr
                              IMG_20180227_204411326 by cdygrubbs, on Flickr

My cousin picked up this insane 2011 335i with Clinched widebody kit.

IMG_20180308_173538286_HDR by cdygrubbs, on Flickr
                              IMG_20180315_145523869 by cdygrubbs, on Flickr
                              IMG_20180316_194129975 by cdygrubbs, on Flickr

Met with some local e30 enthusiasts in Lawrenceville.
                              IMG_20180401_193419962_HDR by cdygrubbs, on Flickr
                              IMG_20180411_172254331_HDR by cdygrubbs, on Flickr
                              IMG_20180420_104757542 by cdygrubbs, on Flickr

Saw an Italian spec 320is (with s14) at Road Atlanta.
                              IMG_20180428_103930981_HDR by cdygrubbs, on Flickr

New parts ready to go on. This includes brand new pop out window hinges which were STUPID expensive and now NLA. And also new wiper nut covers which took about 6 months to show up.

e30 update 001 by cdygrubbs, on Flickr

The old ones had definitely seen better days.
                              e30 update 002 by cdygrubbs, on Flickr

e30 update 003 by cdygrubbs, on Flickr

e30 update 006 by cdygrubbs, on Flickr

e30 update 008 by cdygrubbs, on Flickr

My dad and I installed some aluminum pedal covers made by BMW Performance.

IMG_20180508_212641096 by cdygrubbs, on Flickr

I finally installed my front plate filler. Painted with SEM trim black and installed with 3m tape.

e30 update 025 by cdygrubbs, on Flickr

Reppin' ECS Tuning. I ordered half of the parts for my build from these guys.

e30 update 026 by cdygrubbs, on Flickr

Some recent pics of the engine bay. I wrapped up the fan wiring with OEM looking Tesa wire wrap and installed a new fuse holder after the old one melted.

e30 update 028 by cdygrubbs, on Flickr
                              e30 update 031 by cdygrubbs, on Flickr

Last edited by Codym42; 05-12-2018, 04:02 PM.
                              '90 325i - 5 speed coupe
                              '05 330ci 6MT ZHP

Comment

Let's pick up here where I left off. I was so excited for EuEx... its my favorite weekend of the year. This was the year my e30 would finally be in the show and that ended up not happening. My cousin and I were making our way from Monroe to Savannah and we stopped in Statesboro to get some lunch. The trip was going quite well with the exception of his e90 flashing an overheating warning once (junk). Well, we were pulling out of Cookout onto the main road and I hit the gas and let out the clutch fast to get out of traffic's way and all of a sudden heard a loud noise and the car sort of locked up. My cousin was yelling at me to get out of the car. At first I noticed the muffler was hanging down. A closer look and I saw the diff cover was broken and the driver side axle was no longer attached to the diff. Well, Fuck. Time to get her towed 200 miles back home. The driver had some difficulty loading it on the truck but finally got it. I hopped in the e90 and we carried on to Savannah. $500 later and the e30 was back at home...

IMG_20180514_202655656_HDR by cdygrubbs, on Flickr

IMG_20180518_162804298_HDR by cdygrubbs, on Flickr

IMG_20180518_161049248_HDR by cdygrubbs, on Flickr

E30 diff broken 001 by cdygrubbs, on Flickr

Why not upgrade with a Poly bushing? Garagistic 80A bushing installed. Also, if anyone is using a Z3 Torsen diff like I am, the speed sensor is different. The e30 sensor fits but does not work.
                                E30 diff broken 005 by cdygrubbs, on Flickr

Brand new SurTrack Axle installed from RockAuto. It's holding up fine so far. Some of the guys over on the Facebook group are running O'Reilly axles and these are the same thing. Make sure to use LOCTITE this time!!!
                                E30 diff broken 003 by cdygrubbs, on Flickr

This month, I decided it was too hot and that I needed to install A/C. I installed my new Denso compressor to test fit. It seems as if I'll have to trim the fan shroud tab off the radiator.

E30 swap AC 002 by cdygrubbs, on Flickr

I ordered a brand new hose from evaporator to compressor (stock 325i hose which is longer than 318) because I had issues with the Schrader valves leaking before due to corrosion in the port. I need to have the e36 compressor fitting crimped on and also shorten the existing compressor to condenser hose (stock 318is hose)
                                E30 swap AC 003 by cdygrubbs, on Flickr

I couldn't find anyone to do the hoses cheaply. Very few people will even touch A/C hoses. I found a friend who had a crimp tool I could borrow, so I'm going to try this out myself.
                                E30 swap AC 004 by cdygrubbs, on Flickr

New pipe from Evaporator to Dryer because, again, my schrader valve leaked in the past.
                                E30 swap AC 005 by cdygrubbs, on Flickr
                                Last edited by Codym42; 07-26-2018, 04:50 PM.
                                '90 325i - 5 speed coupe
                                '05 330ci 6MT ZHP

Comment

Working...
                                X