87 325
    S50 US, g260
    712 e46 rack
    Bimmerworld race fcabs
    GC 525/700 coilovers/SA shocks/camber/caster plates
    Condor bushings all around
    Trm c1 15x8, 225/45/15 rs3
    Stock swaybars

Goal: predictable hpde car, occasional autox.

Experience: Used to run in hpde3 in an e36 several years ago, which was much easier to drive. I feel like a newb in this car.

Should I be concerned about the rear right camber anomaly? Any suggested changes or is this a good starting point?

Also, after the alignment I was handed two bolts which were from the camber plates. Is it common to just use two as pictured?

Thanks
    Jay

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Unless you've got the weld in adjusters, your rear camber essentially is what it is. I've found you can decrease the negative camber a bit by raising the coilovers.

What symptoms make it tough to drive? is it twitchy?

I used to have almost the exact same suspension setup. With the higher spring rates I would suggest maybe a larger bar in the front on full soft and disconnecting the rear bar. Disconnecting the rear bar helped the back end to lean in and feel less twitchy and unpredictable.

Just my 2 cents, i'm sure the guys in this track section can also lend some great advice.
    sigpic
    1991 318is S52
    1987 325i Vert
    1991 325i
    2011 e70 X5

Need Anything E30? -> http://www.gutenparts.com/

Comment

Losing the ass end, perhaps?

t
      now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

I would recommend modifying your rear subframe with adjustable camber and toe pieces. You can then back off your rear camber to about -2 and adjust the toe. The toe on your left rear seems ok, but the right rear is out almost 3/8" which is pretty far off. At most you might want 1/8" out, or zero for rear toe. I can't remember my settings without looking it up.

By backing off my rear camber to -2 and keeping my front between -2.5 and -3 my car is very neutral and does not have a happy tail at all. It's planted and I can use all the throttle in most corners way before apex.

If it's a pure track car change your springs rates to 700/900 and put a 22mm swaybar in the front. You'll thank me.

Comment

Yes, the car feels tail happy right now. I plan to test things out an autox and see how that goes, then hopefully a track day shortly after. I had the subframe out last year and wish I did the weld in adjustments. I recall reading that they were hard to adjust or would easily slip out of spec so I skipped it.

Comment

I don't think the camber is enough to cause an issue, and the toe is in degrees on that sheet, so I'd guess that's a little over .125" in on the right side. Pretty high but not crazy and not really enough to make the car tail happy. I would look at ride heights and have the car corner balanced if you're wanting to mess with setup stuff. Start from a known zero and tune from there. I'm not a fan of adjustable rear subframes in these cars unless you have some sort of spherical setup back there, you're adjusting the car into a bind and then bouncing it all around- stuff is going to move. If you don't have the capability to do a 4 wheel alignment at the track or at your house, I don't think it's worth it.
            - '88 m54 coupe

<3

Comment

The ride is pretty low right now. The fronts are at its highest adjustment and its barely a single finger gap between tire and fender. I am thinking of going from a 6" to a 7" spring so when I get corner balanced there will be some room for adjustment up front. The rears appears to have a lot of room to go up a bit more.

Comment

Yeah, so just in general, rake will cause the car to be loose on entry. So when you have the car corner balanced, have them set the ride height level front to rear using the rocker for measurement. This won't be perfectly level, but it will be close and a known zero to adjust from. ask them to mark the pinch weld where they take the measurements
                - '88 m54 coupe

<3

Comment

Agreed, more POSITIVE rake (nose down) tends towards oversteer on entry.
                  BUT if the car's already very low, yes, raise the ass, don't lower the nose.
                  There are roll center disadvantages to lowering the nose too far,
                  and you start fighting camber in back.

Also, make sure the tires aren't cutting themselves on the front inner fender pinch
                  weld.

I also agree that a stiffer front spring- to a point- will help. And make sure the rear
                  shocks aren't bottoming. That's really unpleasant. A zip tie around the shaft (ooch) tells the tale. Do all 4, just for good luck.

t
                  now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Try the serrated setup form IE.

Make sure all sets of serrated bits are matching in tooth count. I had a mishmash set of them sent, GLAD I DIDN'T WELD THEM IN BEFORE INSPECTING THEM!!

Put those 2 bolts back in the camber plates and find another alignment shop.

Picture of Rake on the car. Or ride heights?

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
                    @Zakspeed_US

Comment

I would not recommend the serrated toe adjusters, if they're still offering them- they're too coarse in
                      adjustment, so you'll end up with no way to get the rear wheels pointed exactly
                      where you want them. 1/64" of toe adjustment matters back there...

imho
                      t

Comment

Working...
                      X