No announcement yet.

The penIS mightier!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have been wanting to address some issues for a long time but after a recent separation and loss of my dog I lost interest in everything.

Looking at Jordans IS rebuild with some envy lately. I decided that I could keep hoarding money, but one day soon I´ll most likely have a stroke or heart attack and someone else will get to spend it for me. Why not spend it on myself and maybe feel some motivation in the process.

This won´t even come close to what he is doing. Just aiming for refreshed daily driver, so rust repair, re-paint, address heating/air con issues, suspension refresh, maybe even some itb´s.

I convinced myself I was able enough to take apart the car, so armed with a screw driver and socket set, I went to it. All parts go into labeled baggies and pictures get taken for things that i know i may forget. After a day this is how it sits.

The biggest task is to take apart the dash and carpet to look for hidden rust and fix the heater core or valve leak that is spilling coolant into the cabin.
    Carpet is fairly soaked and blue from the leak. I wonder if I should treat myself to a new carpet from the dealership or try to salvage this one.

Front and rear glass will come out. Not sure how to remove the rain gutter and door trim, so i may just leave those on if I don´t feel like taking them off.

I´m not sure if I should change the colour from Brilliantrot, to Henna or Rosso Corsa.

Would like a set of these but 4x100 sets are few and far between.
    Last edited by spanish pants; 02-02-2018, 12:23 PM.
    My new E34 525i Sport Limousine Blog
    http://bmw525isportlimousine.blogspot.com.es/

Comment

looks like you are having fun.

Comment

Not everyone needs to go as balls deep into their E30 as Jordan does. It certainly results in something special but not everyone has those skills, resources and most importantly time.

Im excited to see this updated more!
        Simon
        Current Cars:
        -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

I don´t know if I would call it fun, but it´s better than moping around at home : )

I really enjoy reading his threads but I can´t justify putting Jordan level work into this or any car. I would be too afraid to drive it or park it anywhere.

I want to make it special in my own way, but still be able to take it out and drive the piss out of it without worry.
          Maybe a subtle race car livery/pinstripe, itb´s under plexiglass/mesh and some old school Rial Cobras. We´ll see, right now i´m taking it one step at a time.
          Last edited by spanish pants; 02-02-2018, 09:28 AM.

Comment

Day 2

I decided to take a mental health day and continue taking the car apart.
            It feels like I didn´t get much done but the growing pile of parts says something different.

Rust forming and a nice dent on the trunk. Probably a good idea to remove the trunk seal once a year to check for signs of rust.

Tupper of baggies. Organization is key, especially if your IQ borders on single digits like mine.

Mirrors, and strut brace are off. Headlights came out shortly after.

Not much going on in the engine bay, other than battery removal. There was alot of rust under the battery.
            You can also see the rust over the wiper arm that prompted me to get my ass in gear.

Rocket wings! These were a junk yard find. They go on with double sided tape but not sure if I will use them.

So many applications. If i ever sell the e30 I can use them on a Chrysler Cordoba ?

I finished off the day with trying to get the dash out but ended up stopping as I need to read the DIY. Hopefully I can get it out along with the carpet tomorrow.
            With that out of the way I can book the appointment with the body shop.

Comment

Nice work! I good repaint will do wonders, especially with all the rust issue's addressed.

1992 M tech 2 Convertible - S50 Swap
              1992 e34 Touring- S50 Swap
              1992 325i-S50 Swap (SOLD)

1995 e36 M3 Mugello Red - S50 (SOLD)
              1991 325i Convertible Laguna Green (SOLD)
              1987 325i (SOLD);1992 M tech 2 Convertible (SOLD)
              1988 325i Convertible Alpine White (SOLD)
              Brilliantrot Convertible 80k Miles (SOLD)
              1992 325i Convertible Schwarz (SOLD)
              1992 318i Convertible Project-Finished (SOLD)

Comment

Originally posted by KIRIEIW View Post
                Nice work! I good repaint will do wonders, especially with all the rust issue's addressed.
                Yes, I agree. The only reason I haven´t gotten to it sooner is that I´ve been afraid to start pulling the interior. That and no shop will ever be able to meet my high standards for work.
                That´s why I´ve decided to lower the bar and drink more to compensate

Comment

Day 3.

It rained much today and I am having an off day so not much was accomplished.

I finally got the dash out. What a PITA, even following the tutorials it was harder than I expected. Almost impossible to wiggle out and my helper damaged it in the process. Nice thumb sized hole in the top and torn corner of the HVAC part.
                  Sucks because I don´t want to do this twice. Now I have to try to source another one.

I wanted to remove the carpet in it´s entirety but decided against it at this point. I´ll just cut as close as I can, give a good power wash and maybe dye it at a future date.

I have no idea how to remove the rain gutter and window trim. I need to search but if anyone any ideas in the meantime.

Torn between removing the side panel trims. I´ve heard some of them are NLA and I know I will break the clips. Feels ghetto leaving them on for paint. If I decide to remove them I´ll just have to 3M tape them back on.

I figure another day of work (if I feel motivated) and it will be ready for the shop.

Comment

Way to keep your mind occupied! I'd stay with brilliantrot and change the wheel color
                    Continuous For Sale Thread
                    323i s50

Comment

Originally posted by Court M3 View Post
                      Way to keep your mind occupied! I'd stay with brilliantrot and change the wheel color
                      I went to the body shop today for a quote and was asked if i was going to keep it brilliantrot...still undecided. I will make a snap decision at the last moment.
                      As for wheels, I like the ltw5´s because they are light, something the IS benefits from but I want to change out the wheels for something else. Just not sure yet what they will be.

Comment

Can one of the mods kindly move this over to the builds section.

Comment

Clients haven´t reared their heads today so I took it as a sign from the Universe that I shouldn´t bother turning on the computer.

I did take a trip to the dealership to order front and rear windshield gaskets, new rad support (old one is tweaked) and cylinder head bolts. Once the sticker shock wore off I went for a Coffee.

I´m not going to work on the car today, but I will post my most coveted wheels and inspiration images.

As a child of the early 70´s, my car memories are tied to the garish late 70´s and cocaine fueled excesses of the 80´s...meaning gold wheels/accents, colourful paint and body kits.

SSR's

Zender

BBS E50

Gotti´s

BBS Turbo Fans

Rial Cobra´s

See what i mean?

Love the decals on this

I wonder what the decals from the Mustang would look like on an e30.

Koenig. Needs some gold

Zender. Also needs some gold

Gold, gold, gold!

Love the paint. Makes me want to put on a Hawaiian shirt and go for a drive.

best image hosting

My safe space...
                          Last edited by spanish pants; 02-11-2018, 01:06 PM.

Comment

I like where your heads at with this. Those bbs e50s are freakin choice
                            1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

Originally posted by wworm View Post
                              I like where your heads at with this. Those bbs e50s are freakin choice
                              e50´s and SSR´s are top contenders but my budget is gone on paint and body work this year.

Comment

Now...are we spending all this money here instead of on our Alfa....?

haha JK! I like the look of this car.

Comment

Working...
                                X