91 318is Field Rat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by e30sh View Post
    RockAuto has a German made VDO pump for the 318is for a bit over $200. Just picked one up for my car.
    I was eyeballing that one the other day as well. However, the specs on the dw200 pump are great, it's priced less than $90, plus it's an upgrade in flow for the future turbo.

Comment

Starting to prep the new tank while I wait on new fuel lines to get here, so I pulled the crossover tube to clean it. It was filled with trash and varnish, but nothing a little carb dip can't handle.

Since I was in a cleaning mood I spent a few minutes working over the e36 fan and upper rad mount. I also test fit the rad assembly to see what I'm missing to finish it up, just missing two expanding rivets for the upper fan mounts.

Also finishing up the coil on plug bracket/hardware I put together. Luckily I found a full scale template for holes and such, so that helped out a bunch. I've put off wiring the harness for it, so I can just get it started on the stock coil packs and dick with it once running. I spent very little on this setup. A dude on ebay messaged me after buying a handful of used coils and asked if I wanted some other spares he had for free. Yep. I'll take them all.

The m42 I'm putting in was bought locally from another 91 318is. It was originally for a now abandoned e21 project I was working on. For $400 I got the radiator, motor, trans, trans mount, and driveshaft. The previous owner already deleted the intake heater hoses, then bought all new hoses, sensors, plugs, fuel pressure regulator, icv, etc. Injectors were cleaned professionally, although I'm hoping to snag some 4 pintle Mustang style this weekend at the U Pull It since it's %50 off weekend. He basically baselined the car with the m42 in preparation for an m30. I feel like I got a good deal overall. You can see the new Febi slave cylinder and m20 starter in here somewhere.

Last edited by captain awesome; 07-12-2017, 06:32 AM.

Comment

Nice project!
        Simon
        Current Cars:
        -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by captain awesome View Post
          I started the project in late March I think. Usually I like to try and take 10-20 minutes a day to just accomplish one thing, or test fit stuff helps get things done. I've also had a couple long evenings and a good solid 8 hour day within a short period.

As for the m52, I'd love to do a bigger 6 swap, but that takes more money and time than I can commit to right now. The m42 I got should be solid, and will probably get a turbo late next year if I can swing it.
          I try to do the same! I dig too deep and change paths 30 times "while I'm in there", thus leading to unfinished projects.

I agree about the M42! Looking back I should've skipped the M52 and I'd probably have a running/driving car right now
          1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
          1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

Nice work and progress from a local!! I have most of a E36 318IS Mosselman turbo kit that should work great on that thing when you get ready.

Comment

Originally posted by Dgerry View Post
              Nice work and progress from a local!! I have most of a E36 318IS Mosselman turbo kit that should work great on that thing when you get ready.
              Where are you located? I'll have to look into the turbo kit, as I'm not familiar with them. I was planning on the Jakeb kit, but I'm open to other options as well.

Judging by your dig pic being the old Mayfield store you are probably Fayetteville?
              Last edited by captain awesome; 06-29-2017, 04:30 PM.

Comment

Here's a pic of me and a buddy's bike in that same spot years ago. I used to ride out that way and all through the ozarks. I've since sold off all my bike stuff and focused on car stuff

Comment

that's a cool spot. And you're putting the M42 back in the car?! Are you going to dump the single mass and turbo it?! disregard - i reread everything. You have a cool project man!
                  Last edited by paynemw; 06-29-2017, 05:26 PM.
                  Paynemw
                  1986 Toyota 4Runner SR5 - Sold!
                  the ebb and flow of 325is ownership - In RVA
                  1988 BMW 535is - RIP but my dream BMW

Comment

Springdale.....the kit is a pretty nice low mount set up cast manifold, adapter, and T25 Garrett turbo that we upgraded to a billet compressor wheel, everything has been ceramic coated, it pretty nice. We were thinking about using it with megasquirt on a m10, but doing a M52 swap now..Anyway, I am sure we can work something out if you want the kit, PM me and we talk more about it.

Comment

PM sent.

Comment

loads of work here. props op. this gonna be good

Turbo M42 Build Thread :Here
                        Ig:ryno_pzk
                        I like the tuna here.
                        Originally posted by lambo
                        Buttchug. The official poster child of r3v.

Comment

Another Photobucket Victim....
                          Dumpster Fire Pilot

Comment

Yup. Going to re-upload everything as I get time today to my Flickr account. They want $40 a month apparently for 3rd party hosting. That's just silly.

Comment

Originally posted by captain awesome View Post
                              Yup. Going to re-upload everything as I get time today to my Flickr account. They want $40 a month apparently for 3rd party hosting. That's just silly.
                              I'm going to start switching all mine over also. Photobucket is nothing but a spam filled scam bucket now. It's going to take me forever to get mine changed. 10+ years of forums to go though and move.

Dumpster Fire Pilot

Comment

I've just decided all my previous projects over the years are going to go into the great abyss. The time it would take to rebuild threads would be more than I care to invest. Luckily I can still download full albums that I have built up so if I ever feel froggy about updating it's all still there. The only upside Photobucket ever had was the linking interface for img tags. The rest(ads) almost made it impossible to navigate. I do find it odd that there is only one 3rd party hosting option. You would think they would just have limited bandwidth tiers and a price to reflect that. Oh well.
                                Last edited by captain awesome; 06-30-2017, 06:49 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X