Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

linear front paired with progressive rear springs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

linear front paired with progressive rear springs?

I've got H&R race all the way around, but as soon as I installed my IE street camber plates, the front was raised considerably. I ordered some 350lb linear springs for the front to stay similar in spring rate. Since the rear remains at the proper height I don't see much reason to swap to linear other than to sell the full set to recoup some costs.

In other words, does anyone see an issue with running H&R race rear with coilover 6" 350lb linear front?

Theoretically speaking, with a rising- rate spring in rear and a linear rate in front,
    you're going to get a car that oversteers more the harder you corner it.

The linear spring front will have a constant resistance to roll.
    The progressive spring should stiffen as it compresses, increasing the rear's
    roll resistance, and thus reducing rear grip at a rate higher than the front end.

This is what's known as a divergent condition, 'snap oversteer' 'oh, shit' or 'brown flag, brown flag!'

Is that REALLY gonna happen? I dunno. But typically, you'd want it to go the other
    way, so the car tends to remain constant, or, if it must change, trends towards
    stability as it's pushed.

I have never played with intentionally progressive springs, but having unintentionally
    created progressive suspension rates, advise significant caution...

t
    now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Hmmm. Definitely curious how this pans out then. I've got a way to put linear in the rear, but having trouble finding 600lb 5" springs. Anyone use 6" in the rears, 4" just seems like it would be too short?

Comment

Did some research and ordered some 6" springs. I might as well get the rear done so I can sell off all the stuff I'm not using.

Comment

We run linear rear springs (e39 540 non-sports rears chopped in half) with progressive front (cut stock e30 springs). It handles pretty well, but will eventually go to linear all around.

Comment

I think with a linear spring up front, you will really need to make sure your roll center is spot on otherwise the spring rate fall off as things compress will be huge. This would be mitigated some with progressive rate springs because as it compresses it the spring rate goes up, counteracting the loss if the roll center is too low.

It could get exciting, fast.

Will
            '59 Alfa Romeo 101.02 Giulietta Sprint
            '69 Alfa Romeo 105.51 1750 GTV (R.I.P)
            '69 Datsun 2000 roadster Vintage race car
            '88 BMW M3

Comment

That tighter wound section of the rear springs is probably just there to keep them from falling out at full droop. You might want to check if that section of spring is fully compressed at normal ride height. It is a race spring, so it would be surprising if it acts progressively in its normal operating range.

Comment

Working...
              X